Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Secretary completed!

Cherry Secretary completed!

I finally finished my secretary project. I started it over a year and a half ago (but that time also included a full kitchen remodel, including building new cabinets). I just wanted to share the results here and encourage anyone else considering such a project to go for it. Like many of you, I got a lot of tips from the Lonnie Bird FWW article (but I also got some good tips here). However, I designed my secretary from historical photos of early American pieces from Rhode Island.

This is the most challenging piece I've built yet. I anguished over many parts of the design and execution, but I really learned a lot and now have more confidence to try other challenging pieces. So if anyone else is anxious about starting a new project requiring new skills, I'd suggest you take your time, do some research, practice the new techniques, but most importantly, don't be afraid to try something new.
    There are more than a few mistakes on this piece that at least I will notice, but all in all I'm happy with the results.

As for the finish, I decided to let the cherry age naturally. Just several thin coats of shellac, then rubbed out with wax.

front_view.jpglid.jpggallery_2.pngpencil_drawers.jpggallery_3.pnggallery_detail_1.pnggallery_detail_2.jpg

It's stunning Terry. I especially love the interior details - the way you shaped the dividers and the carvings reminds me of European Cathedral. (Sorry if that sounds dramatic, but that's what they make me think of.)

What techniques did you have to learn to do all this? For example, did you have to learn carving to do this piece, or were you already proficient?

I haven't tried anything this complex, and I'm interested.

Well done,
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Wow- jaw on the floor. The attention to detail is amazing. I also love the arches and the way you brought it all together.

Superlatives don't seem adequate. From the grain match on the exterior to the execution of the interior, it is gorgeous. Well done!

Truly amazing, especially your attention to details. This is one project on my bucket list. Thanks for the inspiration.

Wow! Spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    What techniques did you have to learn to do all this? For example, did you have to learn carving to do this piece, or were you already proficient?
    I've actually been carving for awhile, so that wasn't too bad. But this was my first large scale attempt at case work and fitting drawers. Also there were a few new elements in joining the dividers, shaping the feet, and making custom mouldings.
    This secretary also helped me become more comfortable with hand cut dovetails. I had only made a few before, but this piece probably has over 100+ tails/pins in the case and thirteen drawers (there's one small drawer hidden behind the gallery door).

Terry

Blog Entries
    No need to justify your time frame. A project of that scale and complexity completed while living a normal life takes time. Terry, that piece came out just beautifully. Love the shell / fan carvings (pardon my ignorance of the terminology) and the carrying over of the arch detail onto the top drawers; that's a high impact detail to my eye.

The natural aging of the cherry will only make this piece more and more attractive as time passes. The color consistency is remarkable, was the shellac garnet? I really appreciate your care in part selection. The figure all plays well together and is very pleasing. Just beautiful work and workmanship.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-11-2017 at 9:29 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Simply stunning result after attention to detail. Well done Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Congrats, Terry on such a significant accomplishment. Bravo.
    Marty Schlosser
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/apexwoodworks/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ApexWoodworksFurniture/
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkmbvXb44CJ9t17SbHEWxJg/videos

Very, very nice. I really like the thumbnail or cove transition from the horizontal to the vertical faces of the drawers and doors. Nicely done Terry.
    best regards, Patrick

Oh. Wow. Outstanding!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

VERY NICE!!!
    Great job

Amazing and beautiful!

The fact you barely had a handle on cutting dovetails prior to this makes what would be a extremely impressive project on its own that much more impressive.

You are very tallented.

Keep sharing please!

Terry, I can't think of any superlatives that haven't already been used.
    Excellent execution and craftsmanship!
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 02-11-2017 at 1:49 PM. Reason: spellin'
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney