Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Secretary completed!

Just beautiful, clean work and a great attention with the grain matching. Whatever flaws are in it are known only to you. If that's your first major piece, I predict you are going to do some stunning work in the years ahead.

John

Outstanding work

Wow! Beautiful

Kris

Super. I too, especially like the interior layout

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    The color consistency is remarkable, was the shellac garnet?.
    Glenn, Thanks for the kind words. I was torn between garnet and amber, and ended up going with amber... though I think either would have been a good choice. I had considered adding a light coat of BLO, but after trying some test pieces, there seemed to be little difference in the figured grain with and without BLO, and I didn't want to risk blotching,

As far as the wood color, I got a good bit of extra wood (actually more economical too) and chose the best matching boards for this project, reserving the best figure for the main drawers and lid. Much of the left over cherry I didn't use varies wildly in color, tone, and grain... but it's still cherry, and I'm sure Ill find a use for it in a small project or two.

Blog Entries
    Masterfully done!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D May View Post
    \
    As far as the wood color, I got a good bit of extra wood (actually more economical too) and chose the best matching boards for this project, reserving the best figure for the main drawers and lid. Much of the left over cherry I didn't use varies wildly in color, tone, and grain... but it's still cherry, and I'm sure Ill find a use for it in a small project or two.

This right here also puts you ahead of many. It's so important to match grain and color, etc., and I consider that to be the very first step in the finishing process! Bravo!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thats beautiful

A beautiful piece, nicely executed. Thanks for sharing.

Nicely done. I encourage you to sign and date it some how. Maybe the back side of a drawer. This piece is likely to still be in the family several generations from now. Don't leave it's lineage to oral history. Congratulations on creating a true heirloom. It is an accomplishment you deserve to be proud of.

Beautiful work Terry. Thanks for posting pictures.

Terry that's a fine looking secretary, congratulations.

13. Beautiful work. I like the design, and your attention to detail has really paid off. This thing looks good! Thanks for sharing!

Such a beautiful piece. Cherry on this design will look even better in 2-3 years as that rich, dark red/brown comes through. That one will be in the family for a VERY long time.

Stunning work, Terry. Simply gorgeous. The attention to detail is remarkable.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.