Thread: Best stain for pressure treated wood deck?

Blog Entries

Question Best stain for pressure treated wood deck?

I just built a deck out of pressure treated wood. Can anyone recommend a good stain (with color, not clear) to use on it?
    Thanks
    Dennis

stain recs

I've been using Cabot stain on our deck. Also pressure treated wood. I let the deck dry out for a couple of weeks before the initial staining was done.The stain has held up well.Have had to reapply every 2-3 years.I used mission brown color.Looks more like brick red on pt wood.
    Ray

Cabot's Austrailian oil stood up well on our deck.

I'd go to a real paint store that does custom mixes and come up with a color that would neutralize the "green". I really don't like the look of PT lumber.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

I have used the water base stain from Lowes, I think the brand is Olympic. Used the cedar colored stain. It seems to work and look great.

Stain

One of the best products on the market is Sikkens. It stains and finishes. I picked it up when we used a nice wooden garage door for an addition. The door manufacturer would only warranty the door if Sikkens was applied, so I tried it. I ended up using it on our entrance doors and a m a firm believer in the stuff as well. It was not cheap though.

treated wood

When I build gazebo from treated wood, people from paint store did recommend to wait at least 5-6 month before applying any stain. Please check it out before staining.
    Ed.

Sikkens makes a transparent stain specifically formulated for pressure treated woods. They recommend six weeks before application to ensure the wood is properly dry. I'm using Sikkens Cetol SRD on an untreated deck.

Go to the library and look at the June and July issues of Consumer Reports. CU has been long term testing of deck product for the past 10 years. They report on the current results in their June or July issues. Many of these products are reformulated frequently and what was good last year may be a totally new product this year.

In general, clear finishes are very short lived. The more opaque the finish, the longer it will stand up.
    Howie.........

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Acheson View Post
    Go to the library and look at the June and July issues of Consumer Reports. CU has been long term testing of deck product for the past 10 years. They report on the current results in their June or July issues. Many of these products are reformulated frequently and what was good last year may be a totally new product this year.

In general, clear finishes are very short lived. The more opaque the finish, the longer it will stand up.
    Solid color stains peel and chip. Maintenance nightmare. Last thing you want on the horizontal surfaces of a deck. Semi-transparent although not long lasting is a better choice...simply reapply every 2-3 years.

Cabot semi-trans would be my choice...
    Jerry

i used the Behr semi solid stain on a pressure treated deck....AND.....on a Gazebo roof made of cedar fencing. Its been about 5 years and no paint failures yet. Those surfaces, especially the roof see 100% sun throughout the day and have yet to fail in any spot. Also a 85 step, 3 tier stairs mostly PT but some redwood for handrails and about 50 ft of benches with no problems. This is So Calif climate so just wet in winter and hot in summer. Near the coast so a lot of morning dew in the summer that gets so wet it almost looks like it has rained.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Phelps View Post
    I'd go to a real paint store that does custom mixes and come up with a color that would neutralize the "green". I really don't like the look of PT lumber.
    agree, and on that point, i use the sherwin williams deckscape stuff. always the oil based, i don't trust water based finishes outside.

generally, the darker the stain the longer the wood will last.