Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rough or smooth edges when edge gluing boards?

Rough or smooth edges when edge gluing boards?

Hey guys,

This seems like a minor detail that I forgot which is best. I'll be jointing the edges of some 5'' wide boards together. One edge will be jointed and the other would be a straight line rip from the tablesaw, it might have some saw marks on it.

Should I also joint this edge before glue up? Or leave the slightly rough edge so the glue better adheres.

I'm thinking does leaving a somewhat rough edge help the glue bite into the other board as opposed to a smooth edge?

Thanks

The closer the two surfaces mate, the stronger the joint and the less noticeable the joint line.

Smoothness is good as is tight clamp pressure.
    Howie.........

Blog Entries
    Things like epoxy benefit from having something to get a grip on. I make PVA glue joints fit as well as possible. If your rip cuts leave marks you can see but, can't really feel; that's usually good enough for me. Irregularity of any degree will prevent a tight seam and therefor make them more visible or even have gaps; obviously not desired.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I see, I see.

This all makes more sense. I'll just lightly smooth the table saw rip edge with a sanding block before mating the edges. Thank you both for the input. Love this site.

I no longer use the jointer for edge jointing glue-ups. I find that my Freud glue line rip blade leaves a ready for glue-up edge finish.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I no longer use the jointer for edge jointing glue-ups. I find that my Freud glue line rip blade leaves a ready for glue-up edge finish.
    Do you mean you just rip each side of the board and it leaves a good finish? That's not a bad idea, espceially for those without a good jointer.

Yes. As long as the boards are flat and true, and I do not have to deal with any bow, I rip & glue. I get a very nice finish using my Unisaw and the Freud glue-line rip blade.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I'm with Brian on the Freud rip blade. It's one of the best tool investments I have ever made.

If you lay your boards out, match up your grain and such, then fold the two boards back together, just like you're closing a book, and run both through the jointer together at the same time, you should have a perfectly matched glueing surfaces. The surface does not need to necessarily be rough, perfectly matched surfaces would do you better.

With a panel made up of multiples of more than two boards, just keep doing it to each adjoining pair.
    Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling
    Sierra Madre, California

Quote Originally Posted by Damon Stathatos View Post
    If you lay your boards out, match up your grain and such, then fold the two boards back together, just like you're closing a book, and run both through the jointer together at the same time, you should have a perfectly matched glueing surfaces. The surface does not need to necessarily be rough, perfectly matched surfaces would do you better.

With a panel made up of multiples of more than two boards, just keep doing it to each adjoining pair.
    That's a great idea. Thank you.

And I'm probably going to get that glue line rip blade by Freud as well. I wonder if they make them for circular saws too?

Also, clamp pressure is necessary of course, but you do not want to clamp the joint too tightly and squeeze out all of the glue. I firmly snug the clamps and leave it to dry.

Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Damon Stathatos View Post

Yep.. However, I no longer try to run them in pairs. I run them individually in the same "book page" orientation that Damon explained. The reason I changed is that I had a couple foot-faults keeping two boards together, and found it easier to do one at a time. Same principle, though - even if the jointer fence is one-half of one degree off dead-nuts perpendicular, you still get mating edges that leave the surfaces flat. White chalk triangle to orient everything, then run them through the jointer.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Joeseph View Post
    I see, I see.

This all makes more sense. I'll just lightly smooth the table saw rip edge with a sanding block before mating the edges. Thank you both for the input. Love this site.
    I was taught to never glue a sanded surface ... only a cut one ... the dust can pack i n the pores and prevent good adhesion ... of course, that info. was over 50 years ago, so take it for what it's worth. I follow it to this day, and have never had a problem. I joint both edges of a glueup.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wingard View Post
    I was taught to never glue a sanded surface ... only a cut one ... the dust can pack i n the pores and prevent good adhesion ... of course, that info. was over 50 years ago, so take it for what it's worth. I follow it to this day, and have never had a problem. I joint both edges of a glueup.
    Lucky I read that. I'm going to scratch the sanding idea then. Would be better to replace the sandpaper with a light block plane I suppose. Or just have the edge's already jointed from the jointer/saw.

My first reaction is that you're over thinking this. I've been gluing up directly from the table saw for years. And I don't think it's possible to squeeze out glue so that you won't get a good glue joint. In my early days, I used extreme clamp pressure and never had a glue joint failure. You only need a very small amount of glue to hold two surfaces that are well fitted to each other.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.