Thread: Mapping Mediums X/Y Cordinate's From Epilog in relation to Corel Draw ?

Mapping Mediums X/Y Cordinate's From Epilog in relation to Corel Draw ?

I have had my Epilog laser for almost 9 months now.. I learn new things almost every day.. A new thing i was pondering is X/Y Location in relation from the laser to Corel Draw X6... Stay with me here.. And sorry if this sounds like a Newbie Question...

Can you use the X/Y Cordinate's From the Epilog Laser Red Dot pointer... Would it be the exact same in relation to the X/y Location in Corel Draw ?

I am sure this is a obvious question.. I have been approaching stuff in a very simple manner.. When i engrave something usually i just find the center of the medium i am engraving and engrave.. I never took into consideration the X/Y Cordinates... This would help out allot if i was mapping a object out in Corel Draw using the red dot pointer on my laser.. The Irregular objects that need precise measuring take me a long time to figure out the exact Alignment. Usually i am using the rulers on the side of the laser as a reference or using a small area that i have set up in Corel draw and do a Center engraving...

Just wonder if some one can give me some information and personal strategy... Since i have my laser at my store and live 40 miles away its hard for me to just run over to the laser and figure it out... Its easier to ask on Saw Mill.. Get the correct information.. Then when i go into town to do some work for some customers i have time afterwards or b4 to test out the new things i have learned..

Any information would be appreciated.. Just expanding my knowledge so i can get past the learning curve. Then i can pass the information onto the next person on sawmill creek if the ever need assistance...

Sorry if this sounds confusing.. When i am typing a email or am posting a thread i tend to type off the top of my head. So when i am trying to convey a point or ask a question sometimes people get a little confused.. I am still learning. I hardly ever did read much of the manual. I did all my learning through the internet...

Thanks every one for you support and information... There have been allot of people here that have helped me. I can admit that i still have allot to learn but sometimes u wont know tell u ask or try to look for yourself.
    To the people who correct grammar to prove a point

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

I had to add... To sum it up... I have never used or even considered the X/Y Locations in Corel Draw or My Laser.. I could of summed the post up into a few sentences..... I just want information and personal/professional input in understanding and using the X/Y on my laser with red dot pointer in combination with Corel Draw.. I have a basic understanding of how it works i am not that dull.. Just would like to put it to use.. In fact i cannot even remember ever seeing the X/Y location on my laser engraver screen.. ""Probably cause i never figured it was important"... I do see them in Corel though.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

The short answer is yes. The co-ordinates at the red dot impact point on the Epilog should translate to CorelDraw. HOWEVER... use a piece of scrap to test this and make fine adjustments accordingly. There will be some error in translation, but you can account for it. I use this method when given a jig to work with from a company that needs medical marking. It provides a good starting point, and if all things are equal my jigs, which are cnc made, work perfectly when accounting for the initial error between CorelDraw and Epilog. That's all I know on this one Jesse.
    Last edited by Greg Bednar; 07-05-2013 at 3:30 PM.
    Life and death don't bother me. It's that little period of time in between that bothers me.

Epilog Mini-24 40w with Rotary, Flame Polisher, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6, EngraveSoft, Windows 10 64-bit.

I noticed that when i have my X/Y off... The laser is only giving me the X location.... Not the Y location.... So when i am moving the Laser Lens piece it will show me on the screen the location were the red dot is... When i am moving the Bar from the front of the machine to the back it does not do anything..

Jesse,

The default coordinate system in CorelDraw is to have the origin (0,0) at the bottom left, and all coordinates are then quadrant I. (positive X, positive Y). As a side note, you can change the coordinate system on a per-document basis by placing the origin in the center of the document--then you'd have the four cartesian quadrants from mathematics.

The Epilog laser's origin is at the top left of the engraving area, with X going horizontally, and positive Y going "down" toward the front of the machine. In short, the coordinates in Corel do not match up to those on the machine. However, you can place the origin in your Corel document at the top left (Preferences > Document > Rulers), by setting the "Y" to the height of your document. Then, the X coordinate will match the Epilog exactly, and the magnitude of the Y coordinate will match (they will be negative in Corel), which you can then use for repeat positioning.

This is great for engraveables that are rectangular, such as sheet stock, as well as for making jigs that butt up against the top and left fence of the Epilog. For other items (e.g., something circular or irregular), we'll butt a piece of scrap up against the fence (which can be placed with repeatability), then lightly vector cut the outline of the object (without cutting through). Then, the object can be placed manually on top of that line. I've had good luck with the precision here, but I wouldn't recommend it for any jobs that have to be removed from the machine and placed back in the same spot with any precision. For a large production job, you can vector cut a hole in a piece of acrylic so the piece can be dropped into place, which would give you the speed and precision.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Anderson View Post
    I have had my Epilog laser for almost 9 months now.. I learn new things almost every day.. A new thing i was pondering is X/Y Location in relation from the laser to Corel Draw X6... Stay with me here.. And sorry if this sounds like a Newbie Question...

Can you use the X/Y Cordinate's From the Epilog Laser Red Dot pointer... Would it be the exact same in relation to the X/y Location in Corel Draw ?

I am sure this is a obvious question.. I have been approaching stuff in a very simple manner.. When i engrave something usually i just find the center of the medium i am engraving and engrave.. I never took into consideration the X/Y Cordinates... This would help out allot if i was mapping a object out in Corel Draw using the red dot pointer on my laser.. The Irregular objects that need precise measuring take me a long time to figure out the exact Alignment. Usually i am using the rulers on the side of the laser as a reference or using a small area that i have set up in Corel draw and do a Center engraving...

Just wonder if some one can give me some information and personal strategy... Since i have my laser at my store and live 40 miles away its hard for me to just run over to the laser and figure it out... Its easier to ask on Saw Mill.. Get the correct information.. Then when i go into town to do some work for some customers i have time afterwards or b4 to test out the new things i have learned..

Any information would be appreciated.. Just expanding my knowledge so i can get past the learning curve. Then i can pass the information onto the next person on sawmill creek if the ever need assistance...

Sorry if this sounds confusing.. When i am typing a email or am posting a thread i tend to type off the top of my head. So when i am trying to convey a point or ask a question sometimes people get a little confused.. I am still learning. I hardly ever did read much of the manual. I did all my learning through the internet...

Thanks every one for you support and information... There have been allot of people here that have helped me. I can admit that i still have allot to learn but sometimes u wont know tell u ask or try to look for yourself.
    Last edited by Aaron Koehl; 07-06-2013 at 5:07 PM.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Thank u for the reply.. I did figure out when i have my rotary attachment hooked up that the beginning of the rotary "The Rubber Bumper" Is roughly zero.. So when i am doing a center engraving i just measure the glass. Then use the red dot pointer and find the exact decimal equivalent divided by the length of the engraving area.. Then set my home position based on the those decimal values... This made it allot easier for me when i was engraving glasses. Multiple size's and shapes... Most of the time though. Once i set it for a larger order of the same size and shape of glasses it will work perfectly.. Then when i switch back to the other irregular shaped glasses i just use the same center engraving process. It has worked well for me.... And it also make's sure i find the center exactly.