Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer router problems

Computer router problems

We have a linksys (Cisco) router. Wireless N, but we don't use the wireless part. I noticed our internet getting slow a couple weeks ago and just ignored it. Then I finally ran a speed test on it via speedtest dot net and saw a whopping 1.5Mbps. I called our cable company and she ran some tests from there end and said she was seeing issues and a packet loss issue so she sent out a tech the next day. While here, he determined the line was bad from the pole, and he replaced it, ran some tests and said it was screaming fast (which I saw on his computer tests). He left and I noticed we were still slow. Rats. So I restarted the router and the switch we use and nothing changed. I logged into the router and did a total reset. When I did, it popped up to almost 50Mbps. Cool, problem fixed.

Next day. Same thing. Check speed, running at 1.2Mbps. Go to the router, poke a paperclip into the "reset" button, bam, back up to 45-50Mbps.

So now it appears to be a daily thing.

Is the router going bad? Is there a setting I need to change or look at? Or just trash it and put a new one in it's place. I think it's about 2 years old.

Any suggestions?
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I had a hub go bad not too long ago. It seems it went bad slowly, over time, and I never noticed it until it got down to the 1.0mbps range, in which case it was unbearable.

They are cheap.

I have had more bad routers then any other piece of computer equipment. I had a bad linksys that needed to be unplugged once or twice a week to keep the wireless working. so I bought another one that was this years model but at the same price range and it would go about twice as long before it needed unplugged. bought a used airport extreme and end of problems.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

I also had a linksys that needed to be cycled every few days or so to keep the wireless running. It was many years old at that point so I had no complaints. Bought a new one and it's been trouble free since.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Do you have the latest firmware for your router? You should be able to check at the linksys website.

Routers are actually pretty complicated little computers. Many of them (especially Linksys) run Linux kernels. It isn't unusual for them to develop hardware problems, and firmware compatibility issues are not unheard of.

I really push routers w/ DD-WRT or Tomato firmware. The DD-WRT and Tomato firmware is about as bulletproof as it gets for a low-cost router.

Many of the Linksys units can be flashed w/ DD-WRT or Tomato. What model # is your Linksys?

I don't have the latest firmware. I downloaded the update to do that, told it to install it, it went through most of the process and then crashed and said their was a failure to update the firmware.

It's a WRT-160n, I think. I'm saying that from memory, since I'm not at work at the moment.

I don't mind buying another one, but I'd hate to buy another one and have the same problem because there's some setting I've got wrong.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Those routers often just flake. If it won't update I would be even more suspicious. Try a new one. I'll bet that fixes it. ( if that wasn't an inadvertently obvious bit of advice....)
    Btw, both dd-wrt and tomato are both fantastic, and bulletproof. I've even got one runnning asterisk, the open-source pbx.
    Paul

Well, there is DD-WRT firmware for 160N's v1.0 and 3.0, but not for 2.0.

BTW, when you downloaded the firmware, you were sure to download the firmware for the exact right version of the router, right?

Anyway, if I were you, I'd try some DD-WRT or Tomato firmware. Don't have much to lose, you are prepared to replace the unit anyhow.

Paul is right. Routers do tank all the time, BTW. So a new router may be in your future.

D-link. Been using them for many years. No problems, and they are secure.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I think Phil is on the right track. I have an old Linksys WRT54g that would lock up. At the time we used Vonage so we also lost our long distance. A firmware update fixed it but if you're using the correct firmware file and it's not working, uh oh. Depending on how fast your broadband connection is and what else you use your wireless network for, you might be able to get by with an older G speed model if you want to save a couple $.

I had a Linksys wireless access point, WAP54g I believe, that would need reset about once or twice a week or the wireless side of it would stop working. I eventually found a beta version of its Linux based firmware tucked away in some dusty corner of a global version of their website and once that was loaded on it gave years of trouble free service. However, I find all routers and modems of consumer quality usually benefit from being unplugged for a few seconds once a year or so just to ward off any firmware related issues. I've also had a Netgear router go out on me, but it was hardware related and would die once it warmed up. I've not had a chance yet to try D-link, but the Apple Time Capsule we've got now has been trouble free for a year.

Sounds to me link it's time for a new wireless router.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    We have a linksys (Cisco) router. Wireless N, but we don't use the wireless part.
    Did you guys read this part of the OPs post? ....... Just askin.

I think you can get a wired router for a bit less that the wireless versions.
    http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-EBR-231...5532552&sr=1-3
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 04-27-2012 at 9:18 AM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Did you guys read this part of the OPs post? ....... Just askin.
    Yepper. I did.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Good point Larry, dropping the wireless that isn't being used will make the router cheaper and more robust. For many years I used an old Pentium-75 PC with a pair of network cards in it and ran Coyote Linux off of a 3.5" floppy as my wired router to go with the aforementioned WAP. Talk about dependable, that thing never hiccuped and only went down when the power outages exceeded my UPS, which was about once every 2 years.

Thanks for the help guys. I spent quite a bit of time looking at the thing Phil mentioned. I'll be doing that shortly. It's been a busy week and this is a work router, so last thing I wanted to do was mess with it during normal hours. My plan is to give it a whirl after hours today, and if it doesn't work out, then I have plenty of time to go get another one and start over. In fact, I have a Time Capsule from Apple hooked in the loop, not using it for routing, but I suppose I could just unplug the linksys and change a few plugs around and have the Time Capsule running it all.

So we'll take a whack at it this evening and report back.

Thanks for the help!