Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How cold does it have to get for pipes to freeze?

How cold does it have to get for pipes to freeze?

We have a ..situation...
    We're having a dispute with one of our tenants.
    Our lawyer has advised us not to enter the property for the next ten days.

We're concerned that the tenant is going to shut off the heat.

Temperatures are supposed to be in the low 30's as a high during the next four days and lows in the upper 20's over that period.

The house is insulated - but - not as well as a newer house. It was built in the 1950's.

According to the long range forecast, the tempertures are suppossed to be 30's to low 40's in the day and upper 20's to low 30's at night - through next Thursday.

I'm thinking that it should be ok but - you never know.

I don't think you have much to worry about, especially if the vents are closed.

I would agree. If all the windows are opened though......might be close.

If it's all from issues with a tenant, check your various insurance policies to make sure you are covered under both accidental and malicious actions by a tenant.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

what bother me is your lawyer coment to stay out of the apartment, how will you handle the maintenance of the apartment ?

It's not ouside the realm of possibility that a window or windows could be left open.

Ray - long story, but, our lawyer says it's best if we stay out for the next week or so. Sorry I can't be more detailed, but, this being an open forum it's better to not get into certain things.

I have seen outside faucets freeze at 28F overnight, if not wrapped, then break from the ice expansion. Maybe you could at least do that without going in?

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    It's not ouside the realm of possibility that a window or windows could be left open.

Ray - long story, but, our lawyer says it's best if we stay out for the next week or so. Sorry I can't be more detailed, but, this being an open forum it's better to not get into certain things.

well it is your money so keep the de-tails to yourself which I never ask for, all I say were the maintenance of the building but you must be too busy to read the whole post

Ray,
    I read the whole post.

We've started an evicition process against the tenant. Under Ohio law, we as the landlords have procedures we have to adhere to. Entering the premisis during this time period is a very touchy area.

Yes - you are correct - it is my money. I don't wish to lose any by being sued or having to defend myself against criminal charges.

Given enough time, 32 degrees F at sea level for fresh water. I'd worry about those temps for an extended time, but at least it's not going to be -5 degrees or so.
    Good luck with the eviction process, it's tough. I watched a co-worker get danced around by a very experienced, legal wise, tenant for about 8 months through the court system. Once the eviction process started, he also was not allowed in his dwelling, and they did do some significant damage.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Sneak in, adjust the T-stat, and get out. Don't tell ANYBODY.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I hope that none of your building catch on fire above or below this apartment that you are barred from enter

I entered my rental accompanied by a police officer during the eviction process. My tenant stole several thousands of dollars worth of items from a detached garage that was not part of the rental. My dishes were in a drain basket on the sink and several other items belonging to me were in plain site but I couldn't do anything about it because I couldn't prove that the items were mine. The tenant was out in the 21 days allowed by California law. I found out how the items were hidden, the tenant rented a storage unit and moved my items into storage. Never got any of my items back but at least I got rid of the tenant. The place was a mess when I finally was able to gain access to work on it.
    David B

Sneak in, adjust the T-stat, and get out. Don't tell ANYBODY.
    That's not really possible to do. It also would halt the eviction process and we'd have to go back and start it all over again.
    As you can see from the other posts, the law is heavily on the side of the tenant - up to a certain point.

[I hope that none of your building catch on fire above or below this apartment that you are barred from enter
    In this case, we're ok there since it's a single family house, not an apartment building.
    There's still houses on either side of it though.

Wisconsin has a law where you can't evict a tenant in the winter, apparently. I know of a situation where the tenant just quit paying rent in Nov. or Dec. and lived rent-free for a few months. They moved out when "winter" ended. Didn't do any damage though, thank goodness.

There are definitely "professional renters" out there who know how to game the system. The trick is to have the right legal team experienced in dealing with the tenant's shenanigans, and the patience to let the process take its course (and not do something silly, like "Break into" the unit to check on it).

I would like to think that for each such "professional", there are many many legitimate renters.

Good luck with your situation.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.