Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Miter plane question (attention Rob Lee....lol)

Miter plane question (attention Rob Lee....lol)

I have been lusting over the LN miter plane for a while now. I am getting close to actually ordering one, when I saw the post on the LV that is in the works. Does anyone have any info on the LV version that is supposed to be out later this year?

Rob, if you are reading this, can you give me/us any info without having to kill us? Generalities are ok. I am looking to see if it is worth the wait or if I should just get the LN.

Thoughts? Comments?

Always appreciated.

By miter plane, do you mean the copy of the Stanley #9? Used with a shooting board?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Hmm. Or maybe the 51/52?
    Where did I put that tape measure...

The 51/52 copy. Tried it at WWA in Pasadena and it is great. Just heard about the LV miter plane in a previous thread and wanted to know some more info before making the 500.00 plunge.

I'm getting nearly the same results from a LA jack as with my #9.

The blade and the shooting board make the most difference in performance.
    I think you could emulate the 51/52 by putting in a secondary fence to "capture" the plane body.

In my opinion, this won't make a lick of difference if the iron is dull.

OOOOO, LV has a mitre plane in the works? I've been hoping that they would do it eventually. I figured that they wouldn't make one because of the low angle planes that people use for that purpose already. I've got a mitre plane kit that I need to finish (for like a year now, I'll admit I'm lazy), but I'd love to have a brandy-new one from LV. My bench planes aren't my favorite for shooting end grain, and block planes lack mass (though they don't do a horrible job). Would be nice to have a dedicated plane in my shop.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

If you have read Derek's (Mr. Cohen's) review ( http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...bbetPlane.html ) of the LV Jack Rabbet plane, you could put it on a wooden base and use it for shooting unless you needed to to make a rebate. You could make the rebate or raise a panel and then return it to the base for shooting. It would be a couple of hundred dollars less than the LN. Just a thought.
    Old age can be better than the alternative.

A LV miter plane? How did I miss that post? Are we talking about a #9 or a #51 here? I really can't see LV doing a 51. Actually, I doubt LV would do a #9 either. The numbers just aren't there. But I would be very interested to see what they've got in the works. I thought the large plow was next in line.

Rob has mentioned on Woodnet that there is a shooting plane in the works, so I am not letting the cat out of the bag.

I did have a play with a model in Ottawa recently, but this was just a model and changes may still occur before production. Obviously I cannot say more and my words really are intended to tease everyone But seriously, what I saw was just fantastic, indeed has the potential to be better than my LN #51 (which remains a superb plane).

Regards from Perth

Derek

I thought you had your fill of "sledding", last month?

How was the return flight?

The return flight, Jim?

Ha! We returned to Perth from the snow of Ottawa via the icy cold of the Grand Canyon to a record heat wave in Sydney ... 45.8 Centigrade (114.4 Fahrenheit) with high humidity! Perth has been a relatively mild 35 C (95 F) today, but dry heat. Should reach 39 C (102) by the weekend. Bliss.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Null View Post

(snip)
    Does anyone have any info on the LV version that is supposed to be out later this year?

Rob, if you are reading this, can you give me/us any info without having to kill us? Generalities are ok. I am looking to see if it is worth the wait or if I should just get the LN.

Thoughts? Comments?

Always appreciated.
    Hi -

Not a lot I can really say right now, other than it will be a good "other" choice for you folks.

We'll be doing a few things differently than Stanley did. At the moment, we have only a right hand body on order, but I'm being heavily lobbied by left-handers for a version there too. Pricing should be in the $300-$400 range... possibly with a "get 'em off the fence" intro price..... .

It has been designed to be used for both shooting and jointing ....

Cheers -

Rob

Thanks Rob.

The LV 51 is that "L" shaped version that is specific for miters and works really well. Right now I use mu LV BU Jack, and it works well, but it has a tendency to tilt toward the work piece if you are not careful. The LV version seems to have more mass on the bottom and thus would resist tilting.

My question is this: Does the new LV plane have a configuration that would aid stability and resist tilting? More so than the LV BU Jack? Enough to warrant it's purchase when I have planes for jointing as well? I am really looking for a miter specific plane, one that does this extremely well, better than other planes like my BU Jack.

Thanks again.

Sorry, I meant LN 51. Typo.....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Null View Post
    Thanks Rob.

The LV 51 is that "L" shaped version that is specific for miters and works really well. Right now I use mu LV BU Jack, and it works well, but it has a tendency to tilt toward the work piece if you are not careful. The LV version seems to have more mass on the bottom and thus would resist tilting.

My question is this: Does the new LV plane have a configuration that would aid stability and resist tilting? More so than the LV BU Jack? Enough to warrant it's purchase when I have planes for jointing as well? I am really looking for a miter specific plane, one that does this extremely well, better than other planes like my BU Jack.

Thanks again.

Hi Tim -

The new shooting plane has a different mass distribution, an angled blade, different registration surfaces, and a different grip.... so the answer is yes...

Cheers -

Rob