Thread: Buying lumber in MN

Question Buying lumber in MN

Any advice on where to buy lumber in MN other than the home stores and/or Rockler. Looking for a smaller mill in or near the Twin Cities. St. Paul or suburbs preferred.

Thanks,
    Bill

Depends on where you are. There's a small sawmill near Kimball, going by the name of Ridge Cutter Lumber. He does mostly oak and ash, sometimes has some maple. Everything goes for $2 a bd ft, and he's honest with his measurement. He kiln dries his wood, but I can't vouch for the moisture content. I generally get stuff from him and let it sit for quite a bit to stabilize and also so I have a stash on hand.

If you want the really good stuff, with a wide variety of species, my favorite is Youngblood Lumber in Mpls. They have darn near everything. If you have a tax ID # you can get a pretty decent wholesale discount.

Bruce

Thanks, Scott. I figured this had been discussed previously, but my pathetic search skills didn't bear any fruit.

Bill

Bill I am just across the river in hudson and there is a sawmill near spring valley called schmitt timber, its approximately 30 miles from hudson so not too bad of drive. He has oak for about 2 bucks and cherry for around 4 and most other woods available too. I think there is another around Cannon Falls but have not been there.

That thread sums it up. Youngblood is my main sources for run of the mill stuff. Being able to pick out your boards is really quite valuable in minimizing waste.

But keep an eye on the craigslist "materials" section. I'll be picking up some 1.125" rough sawn red oak for $1 bf at a small mill over in Wisconsin near my shop. There's several small mills in SE Minnesota that put up ads time to time.

Bruce,

Do you have the number and address for th guy in Kimbal ridge cutter lumber. I did a search and could not find him.

IIRC, his last name is Zutz, but I'm not sure of the first name. He's also a trucker so he's on the road quite a bit. Very entertaining guy. He's not in the phone book, 320-293-5919

Bruce

If you're lucky, maybe David Schmaus lives near you?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Here's another I just saw reposted on craigslist. I've bought from him before and it was good price, good material. He's in New Brighton.

WALNUT ASH OAK MAPLE PINE OLIVE LOCUST OSAGE

Quarter sawn, book matched, flat sawn, 1/2, 3/4, 5/4 and thicker, natural edge slabs, turning stock, …more. Hundreds of board feet on hand.

Custom sawing to match your needs.

Call with what you are looking for. I either have it or can saw it for you from stock on hand. Green or kiln dried. Dimensions up to 28” wide and up to 22’ in length.

I can also saw your logs at your site to your specs.

SPECIALTY SAWING

Jeff Frismanis
    651 245 1886

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    If you're lucky, maybe David Schmaus lives near you?
    You ain't kidding. Wow, that's a haul!

Bill