Thread: Stronghold Chuck ... over kill?

Stronghold Chuck ... over kill?

I've been on the look out for a 3rd chuck to use on my 14-42, years ago I started with a Talon and then added a Barracuda ...... I found what I think is a good deal, I paid $100 plus shipping for a used Stronghold with #2 & #3 and Jumbo Jaws. I though I'd have the delivery yesterday but that didn't happen so now I expect it will arrive Monday.

Are there any negatives having a full size chuck on a mid sized lathe?

Tim

If there is I wouldn't want you to be out any money on that deal, so send me the chuck and all those jaws and I'll reimburse you your $100; after all you are a fellow creeker. Seriously though, the chuck weights about 8 lbs, but I can't see that being a problem in itself. It is designed to hold really heavy stuff and you might run into problems if you are tempted to chuck up more than your lathe can handle. Is you lathe spindle 1 x 8 or 1 x 1 1/4 and what is the HP?

The only downside to the stronghold chuck that I have found is that it will come unscrewed quicker than the smaller chucks if you run the lathe in reverse. The extra mass caused it to come loose.
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bulloch View Post
    If there is I wouldn't want you to be out any money on that deal, so send me the chuck and all those jaws and I'll reimburse you your $100; after all you are a fellow creeker. Seriously though, the chuck weights about 8 lbs, but I can't see that being a problem in itself. It is designed to hold really heavy stuff and you might run into problems if you are tempted to chuck up more than your lathe can handle. Is you lathe spindle 1 x 8 or 1 x 1 1/4 and what is the HP?
    Mornin' Bill .....the threads are 1x8 and the HP is 1.5, never has a problem bogging down the lathe but I've done a lot more segmented stuff as compared to raw wood.

Hey Fred, since I don't have the reverse feature I don't have to worry about than, I've never had a chuck come loose as I can recall. I have failed to tighten them properly on a few occasions. Oops.

Thanks for your opinions,
    Tim

No negatives that I can think of. I have several Oneway chucks and 2 of them are strongholds. Excellent chucks with a wide variety of jaws available. Your stronghold can be used for tiny items just as well as a small chuck can.

Sounds like you got a heck of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Dickerman View Post
    No negatives that I can think of. I have several Oneway chucks and 2 of them are strongholds. Excellent chucks with a wide variety of jaws available. Your stronghold can be used for tiny items just as well as a small chuck can.

Sounds like you got a heck of a deal.
    Hey Wally,

Thanks for the feedback .... I suppose that until I receive the package how good deal I got is unconfirmed.

I've never been disappointed with my Talon so I'm sure the Stronghold will be no different.

Tim