Thread: Reverse Chuck Adapter(no rotating)

Reverse Chuck Adapter(no rotating)

A couple days ago I was reading a post on here about chuck adapters for the tail stock. I had just finished getting my vacuum chuck system online and realized the benefits of such an adapter. Here is my version. I purchased a 1"8tpi grade 5 bolt and nut (about $10). I turned the head off the bolt and installed the nut (locking type) and trued up the face of the nut. The end that was the head was turned to about 5/8" and fits nicely into my MT2 drill chuck. Now I have every thing I need to reverse chuck a turning without having to resort to my doughnut chuck or a jam chuck. The last photo is not really part of this but I thought I would throw it in here. It shows how I use my dead center chucked up in my Nova chuck for between center turnings. My BCTs are usually to put chuck tenons on vessel blanks so this works out real well.

IMG_2651.jpgIMG_2653.jpgIMG_2648.jpgIMG_2653a.jpgIMG_2649.jpg

"The best things in life are not things."

good idea,why 10 characters ?

My solution was to buy this adapter that threads on to the Oneway live center or the similar one that comes with a Jet 1642 or PM3520:
    PSI Woodworking LA341018 Headstock Spindle Adapter (3/4-Inch x 10 tpi to 1-Inch x 8 tpi chuck) about $12.40 with free shipping from Amazon.

I discovered this when trying to figure out how to mount a chuci to a 3/4 X 10 threaded rod when trying to make a threading jig. The extra benefit was being able to use it for centering a bowl to a vacuum chuck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    God is great and life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    good idea,why 10 characters ?
    I am sorry but I don't understand the question. What 10 characters?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Peace View Post
    My solution was to buy this adapter that threads on to the Oneway live center or the similar one that comes with a Jet 1642 or PM3520:
    PSI Woodworking LA341018 Headstock Spindle Adapter (3/4-Inch x 10 tpi to 1-Inch x 8 tpi chuck) about $12.40 with free shipping from Amazon.

I discovered this when trying to figure out how to mount a chuci to a 3/4 X 10 threaded rod when trying to make a threading jig. The extra benefit was being able to use it for centering a bowl to a vacuum chuck.
    But Mike I wouldn't have had the fun of making one.

Quote Originally Posted by James Combs View Post
    I am sorry but I don't understand the question. What 10 characters?

good idea is nine characters and saying goods ideas sound wrong

Thanks for posting James. Always like seeing different ways to skin a cat. Did you turn the bolt on a metal lathe?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hubl View Post
    Thanks for posting James. Always like seeing different ways to skin a cat. Did you turn the bolt on a metal lathe?
    Yes, I have a small Grizzly G0516 metal lathe/mill combo. I get as big a kick out of making tools (for myself) as I do using them.

It is $ 16.95 now.
    Bobby

Still a deal at $16.95... I, too, have a metal lathe, and enjoy making tools as much as turning wood, but at that price, it's not worth the bother to make it.

And for those without metalworking facilities, this http://bestwoodtools.stores.yahoo.net/onepihetachr.html is available. Not cheap, but cheaper than a machinists lathe.
    Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.

CSUSA has #2 MT and 1 and 1-1/4 thread sizes for 30 bucks. More money, but click and buy. I've made them from wood using a die, but more accuracy was and is desired. I just bought both.

Many ways to skin a cat. I wish I would have known about it before making my own. I had to build 3 to get one with satisfactory accuracy.