Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: My new shop

Nice progress, Martin! Nice shiny floor, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

This is great, Martin! And that floor looks really nice. Looks like the guys did you a good job.

What's glass board, and where difd you use it?

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    This is great, Martin! And that floor looks really nice. Looks like the guys did you a good job.

What's glass board, and where difd you use it?

Fred
    They did a VERY nice job on the floor.

Glass board, or FRP same thing. It's OSB with a fiberglass face. FRP stands for "fibre reinforced panel" That's what's sheeting all the walls. It's tough, very bright and reflective for light, washable, and I'm hoping because of the textured surface it has some sound deadening qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    They did a VERY nice job on the floor.

Glass board, or FRP same thing. It's OSB with a fiberglass face. FRP stands for "fibre reinforced panel" That's what's sheeting all the walls. It's tough, very bright and reflective for light, washable, and I'm hoping because of the textured surface it has some sound deadening qualities.
    Ok. I've seen that. Thanks!

Find yourself some machine skates, makes moving anything over 10k pounds easy peasy.

That's a VERY nice building you got yourself there. Please keep posting on the things you do in the shop as well as the construction of it. Very interesting.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferey Scott View Post
    That's a VERY nice building you got yourself there. Please keep posting on the things you do in the shop as well as the construction of it. Very interesting.
    I'll try and keep bringing the updates in. I've got a mountain of stuff that I need to get built in the old shop, for the new shop, and I have zero time to tackle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Find yourself some machine skates, makes moving anything over 10k pounds easy peasy.
    I've actually been half looking for some for a while. At this point I don't have anything all that heavy, but the cnc I'm looking at is 14k#. If I ever take the leap into an actual moulder I'll likely be going used and have to wiggle it into place on my own.

Oh, and I FINALLY got a date for when the power provider is going to knife the wire in the ground. May 10th. Had I known, I would've started that process six months sooner....

The service is all built and ready to go for them. I'm going to be real happy not having to run a generator anymore. It's tiresome and expensive running five gallons of gas through it a day. Plus maintenance. I was running the heater off of a little Honda suitcase generator with an aux tank. Changing the oil every four days was unpleasant. I got really good at it though. I could have it out of that pickup, drained, filled, and back into the pickup in five minutes.

Hello do you have any updates on the new shop. I hope all is well and going good.

Busier than I'd like to be. Been pretty steadily putting in 80 hour weeks and haven't had time in front of a computer to post a good update. Should be going through my final inspection on Tuesday and if I don't get pinged too hard on anything I'm expecting to get my occupancy. I've got one little kitchen to blast out, which I started on today, then we're pulling the pin and start moving equipment over.

Thanks for the update - been wondering - glad to hear your building ordeal is nearly done! I guess the power got hooked up without any glitches?
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Thanks for the update - been wondering - glad to hear your building ordeal is nearly done! I guess the power got hooked up without any glitches?
    Fred
    The only thing that isn't ready to go on the power end of things is the of peak meter for the boiler. Just as long as it's in by winter, that shouldn't be a problem.

We've been down for two and a half weeks. I was shooting for two between moving and getting set back up again. The wiring is basically done. The only thing left is to wire the dust collector motors, which involves mounting a box on the wall with the starters and switches in it, and punching a hole to the outside. Right now there is just two motors, the main fan motor and the shaker motor. At some point, (after I've recovered a bit financially), I'm going to get my airlock rebuilt, and add a transfer fan to blow sawdust into a trailer or dumpster for disposal.

Airlines have a couple hours of work left. I'm waiting on parts for that, but the main loop is up, all of the piped drops are up, the compressor is functioning, and the filters are mounted. I just need to get the last few pieces in the system and I can charge it and see what I screwed up. I went with Prevost air lines. Not the cheapest, but really nice stuff, and depending on how many leaks I've got at the initial start up, at this point I'd say really easy to work with. It took some thinking to keep the airlines from crashing into everything else. There's a lot of electrical, lighting, and overhead door hardware to contend with. I ended up using Sammys and threaded rod to hang it down from the ceiling, and out away from the wall. The piped drops on the walls, I bent a kick into them with an emt bender and just used a saddle fitting to tap into the main line. Pretty slick stuff.

Dust collection is the next hurdle. My HVAC guys have the return air back into the building, and the dirty air going out through the wall and connected to the baghouse, but the main trunk isn't in yet. They were waiting on a fitting they mis-ordered.

Pictures!!!

This is the mess as it sits right now. Nevermind the pallet of wire scraps either. The actual scrap from this project was pretty minimal. What is sitting there, is what I stripped out of the old shop and some take offs from reels that I got for free but were just a twinge too short.

Bench area. Right now I just have the single bench that was in the old shop. My plan is to dumpster this bench and build three new nice ones at some point. One will be sitting where this one is, the other two will be across from this one on the exterior wall. I haven't had the time to work through it, but I'd like to put one of those Onieda Dust Cobras in each one of the benches. It's about the only thing that can service the chop saw, and a DA sander as well. I've got one that I used on the dovetailer, and have been quite happy with it.

No cabinet shop should be without a pop up saw, and a Tigerstop. I bought these almost two years ago and didn't have room in the old shop anywhere for it. I'm looking forward to the speed, accuracy, and the added safety of a pop up saw with an automated stop on it. I still need to go through the pnuematics on this machine. It's got plenty of leaks. For some reason it has multiple regulators mounted on it, I'm not sure why. Behind this saw is where all of the draw machining takes place, and the downdraft table.

Shaper row. This is where all the hardwood machining takes place. The first SAC is for panel raising. The second SAC is just a miscellaneous shaper used for odd ball things so I don't have to tear down a dedicated shaper to do something weird. There's two Powermatic model 27's set up with Reliable cope clamps for coping on the other side of the pass door. The SCMi shaper uses an outboard fence with digital scales, I run an opposite shear straight cutter for sizing and a sticking head on top for doors. Just crank in the height for the cutter, set the fence and run the parts. While that setup on the SCMi has been a game changer for me, I'm anxiously awaiting the time when I can get an S4S machine and do everything in a single pass. Same with the Powermatic shapers setup for coping, I can't wait to replace those with an automated coper.

Sheet stock storage in the pallet racks on the left, hardwood storage on the right in the cantilever racks. I figure I currently have about 4000 bd/ft of capacity in the cantilever racking for capacity. I'm looking forward to buying in larger quantities than I was able to in the past. I wish I had a few more sets of beams for the pallet racking. There's plenty of stuff that we don't buy in unit quantities that need better homes than just getting put into one pile. 1/4" sheets for example. At some point I will likely have to chase down some used racking with more beams to make things a little more user friendly in that regard. Otherwise they just end up in an unorganized jumbled pile.

I finally have a real planer! I picked up this Felder Format4 exact 63 in upstate New York last week end. (Long horrible story with that) It's got the digidrive, and a Tersa head. It's in very nice condition. I even got my 15" four post chiwainese Grizzmatic planer sold quickly. To the left of that is the Diehl SL20 Rip saw I picked up last January. It took some serious time cleaning to get that cleaned up, and there's still some that needs to be done. I got the laser mounted on it and I'm pretty sure I've got that dialed in pretty well. It'll need some use I think to really know how well the laser is dialed in. My electrician was able to pull 120V off of the transformer in the saw to run the laser, so I'm pretty pumped about not having another drop for power there. We also need to add a switch to that machine to kill the power to everything. Right now the VFD that somebody added to the drive motor remains on if it is plugged in. I don't think that is necessary, or good for the VFD.
    Next to the SLR up against the wall is the SAC FS305 jointer I picked up right around Christmas last year. I'm still looking for a Tersa head for that, and I still need to get the guard mounted. A jointer with no guard gives me the willys. In front of the jointer is the airlock I picked up last summer. It needs a complete rebuild, basically all that I have is the cases and the impeller. For $200, probably another $2k to rebuild, I won't complain. I think that one is about $4k to buy new.

There's only a handful of American made tools in my shop. The Tannewitz is the closest tablesaw, it's a Type U built in either 1947 or 1948 and will be used for ripping sheetstock. The further grey tablesaw is a Northfield #4 built in 1962 and it will be used as a dado saw. Forrest is apparently a month out on orders, I ordered a 12" Dado King from them, I'm hoping it shows up sooner though. Most of the low end Taiwan made stuff is out finally. Come to think of it, there's a pretty even split between American made and European equipment in the shop. There might be just a few more Europeans than Americans though. Take out my obsession with high end miter saws, (I've got 3 OMGA MEC300ST's in the shop, and one Derda), and it's probably pretty even. So scratch the handful of American Made tools.

The long horrible story of picking up the planer was that I was planning on just running out with my pickup to get it. I figured $250-300 in fuel, and maybe $150 in tolls to go get it. On my way there a semi trailer smashed into my front fender and door doing about $4k in damage. So I hopped on a plane, (free thanks to miles), and rented a Uhaul van for $1k and brought the planer back. What should've take 2-1/2 days and cost maybe $500 ended up costing more than ten times that. I'm a little aggravated yet...

We've still got some outfeed tables that need to get built, but other than that we're going to be back making sawdust this week. It's going to be a PIA for a little bit until we've got everything really dialed in. There's still a lot of work that needs to happen, but we can at least be productive again instead of just burning money.
    Last edited by Martin Wasner; 07-09-2017 at 12:32 PM.

Incredible, I love this thread.

Won't hurt a vfd to leave it on. Just put a fused disconnect on the slr, solves you issue.