Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fall Turning Contest 2010!!

Talking Fall Turning Contest 2010!!

Sawmill Creek is hosting a Fall Turning Contest 2010!! The contest will have four categories - hollow form, bowl, spindle and segmented. The exciting news is, thanks to some of our favorite vendors, there will be some very generous prizes awarded!

The Rules:

Each participant is allowed only one entry. You may choose which category you wish to compete in BUT only ONE ENTRY will be allowed per participant for this contest! Multiple entries are prohibited!

Beginning today, turn one piece for your entry. This must be "new work" and intended for this particular contest. In the spirit of fairness for all, please adhere to the honor system.

Participants may post their entry anytime beginning October 1 thru October 15, 2010, inclusive. No more entries will be permitted after 11 P.M., EST, October 15, 2010.

Each participant shall entitle their entry thread - SMC Fall Turning Contest 2010 (category) – “name.” Example: SMC Fall Turning Contest 2010 (Bowl) – Fred Woodchuck.

Make sure your thread has all the pertinent information you want known about your entry, such as type of wood, dimensions, finish, etc..

For this contest, we will not permit public comment by posts from others. Each entry must stand on its own merit without critique from others.

Clarifications
    You are free to enter your turning in any division you choose. However, please consider the following:

A "bowl" can be open or closed form (diameter of the rim is smaller than that of the bowl), but please consider that if you choose to enter a "closed form" that some might consider a "hollow form" then you run the risk of not getting public approval of that entry in the form of votes.

A "hollow form" entry should be a form that could not be "hollowed" with bowl gouges, and would require the use of other specialized tools to access areas of the form. Again, should you choose to enter a "hollow form" that some might consider a "bowl" or "lidded form" then you run the risk of not getting public approval of that entry in the form of votes.

A segmented piece could be a spindle, a bowl, or a hollow form, and you could choose to enter it in any of those categories. But, please consider that most folks will be looking at it as a segmented piece (regardless of form) and it may do better in the "segmented" division.

A spindle turning, that is "hollow", could still be considered a spindle turning. Depending on shape, some may also consider it a hollow form, or perhaps even a bowl. So, you must use your judgment as to which division you think your entry will gain you more votes.

Multiple turnings of the same wood, whether spindle, nested bowls, or hollow forms presented as a duo, or trio, are permitted. Again, use your best judgment here. If you feel folks will consider your entry as "too much", then you may want to consider that possibility.

Roughed out blanks may be used. But, as to the requirement that this be "new work", we are relying on the "honor system" here, so please be considerate.

You may post only ONE POST. That post may contain a maximum of five (5) photos. One of those will be chosen by a moderator as your thumbnail in the voting thread, so please include at least one full shot of the piece appropriate to represent your entry.

Voting:

On October 1, 2010, I will establish a locked sticky for EACH Category accessible only by moderators. Once you post your entry thread, contact me (or any Turning Forum moderator) and we will MOVE your post to the "master" locked thread for that category.

On October 16, 2010, there will be four (4) new threads created, one for each category. The new thread will contain the name of each entrant (hyperlinked to their full entry) with one thumbnail of their entry. Each of the category threads will have a poll for public voting.

Polls are limited to ten choices. Therefore, if there are more than 10 entries in a category, then we will divide those entries into separate sub-threads, each containing its own poll. A runoff of the winners in each separate sub-thread will be required. Unfortunately, there is no other way to do this.

The voting polls (category threads) will close at 11:00 PM, EST, October 25, 2010, with winners determined by the vote count at that time.

In the event a runoff is required, or a tie in any category, we will post a NEW thread with the runoff participants. That thread will remain open until 11:00 PM, EST, November 4, 2010, at which time the winner will be determined.

SMC limits the number of photos to no more than 5 per post. Each participant is allowed only one entry post in this contest, so choose photos that best represent your work. If you have questions on how to do that - ask - BEFORE - you create your entry thread please!

Some members use online photo storage and then link those photos to their post. For this contest, please upload your photos to SMC. In doing that, we can use the thumbnails with your link and your photos remain part of the history of this event!

Please understand that this contest would not be possible without the kind generosity of the prize donors. Be sure to let them know how much you appreciate that generosity!

The Prizes::

Hollow Form Category: Randy Privett, of Monster Lathe Tools, has provided a $200 gift certificate (to be used towards a Monster Hollowing System), Sean Ackerman of ToolNut has donated a Hamlet Craft Tools 3/8" Bowl Gouge. In addition, Doug Thompson of Thompson Lathe Tools has donated a 5/8" V Bowl Gouge.

Bowl Category: Mike Smith, of Century Tree Turnings, has donated 12 turning blanks, 3 blanks/month for 4 months. The blanks must be of domestics in stock, limited to $250 in total value, and shipping will be at the expense of the winner. Mike has some beautiful blanks. Sean Ackerman of ToolNut has donated a Hamlet Craft Tools 3/8" Bowl Gouge. In addition, Doug Thompson of Thompson Lathe Tools has donated a 3/8" Detail Gouge.

Spindle Category: Jeff Nicol, of The Wooden Nicol, has donated a Steady Rest. Sean Ackerman of ToolNut has donated a Hamlet Craft Tools 3/8" Bowl Gouge. David Woodruff, of PD Woods, has donated a 6" tool rest of his special design. In addition, Doug Thompson of Thompson Lathe Tools has donated a 1/2"" V Bowl Gouge and a 3/8" Detail Gouge.

Segmented Category: Sean Ackerman of ToolNut has donated a SuperNova 2 chuck. David Woodruff, of PD Woods, has donated a 4" tool rest of his special design. In addition, Doug Thompson of Thompson Lathe Tools has donated a 5/8"" V Bowl Gouge, and a 1/2" V Bowl Gouge.

As this contest is new and was put together rapidly, we did not have a chance to reach out to all vendors who support the Creek. If you would like to be part of this contest and add to the donated prize list, please contact any Mod ASAP. Thank you!
    Last edited by John Keeton; 08-21-2010 at 7:39 PM.

Blog Entries
    This is cool, I remember participating in a contest like this a couple of years back, it generated some very imaginative projects. At the end of the contest there was an auction held and the proceeds of the auction went to St Jude's Children's Hospital. I recall that contest being a great deal of fun.

I would like to extend my thanks to all that have graciously agreed to put up prizes for the winners. Good luck to all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Blog Entries
    I concur... this is way COOL. Now will my blanks be dry enough by October.
    Have a Nice Day!

Awesome stuff. LIke I said in the other thread, I can't wait to see what comes of this. Should be some very neat and impressive stuff.
    The Tool Nut
    Systainerworld

Just a thought. I didn't see a specific category for pens. Could they be entered as "Spindles"?

"The best things in life are not things."

JD, I don't think the mods are going to monitor the entries as to which division one enters. The prize packages permitted a maximum of 4 divisions, and still leave packages attractive to entice entrants.

Each turner will need to decide which division is most appropriate for his or her entry - seems for pens, it would be the spindle division IMO.

Blog Entries
    Okay, it's late and probably doesn't matter. But this thought hit me.

When I'm in golf tournaments they have prizes for Longest Drive, longest putt...etc.

Inevitably they will award the longest drive with a new Driver. Why would a guy who hit a bombing drive want a new driver?

The guy with the longest putt gets.... yep a new putter. Why would a guy who hit the longest putt want a new putter?

Okay.... anybody see what I'm trying to say about the prizes and the categories?

Maybe just a thought for next time.
    Have a Nice Day!

Jon, interesting analogy but I have to counter that line of thought by asking: Why would someone who won the putting contest want a basketball?

Speaking for myself, I specialize in facegrain turnings and really only turn spindles when creating a finial or sometimes a vase. Either way, I do not have a huge need for spindle related tools but another bowl gouge would always come in handy.

Jon, I do appreciate your input on the contest and if you have some ideas for the allocation of prizes the next time we decide to do this - please let us know!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Blog Entries
    Steve,

Just thinking out loud. I'm a little different in that I don't 'specialize' in one thing or another. I want to try to get better at all the skills in turning. Better tools would be more helpful, like doing HF's.

So, in my mind it's not going from Golf to Soccer. It is improving myself in the same game.

It's no biggie, Steve. I'm just thinking out loud, after all, if I don't do it who will?
    Have a Nice Day!

John, if I finish a bowl this afternoon, for example, (getting out of work early and hope to turn!) and enter it, can I change my single entry a week later if I happen to make something I like better before the deadline? Or is it once you've entered, that's it? In which case, I guess I'd have to just wait until October 15 to enter. Also, can I post a thread about a new turning and later enter it? Or once posted, it's not new anymore? Sorry to be so confused.

Sean, Steve, Ken, or one of the other mods may want to weigh in on this, but my thoughts are this -

Once an entry is made, you are done, so hold off until you are sure which piece you want to enter.

Since we are trying to avoid public comment on these entries in the event that might influence the public vote, you should not otherwise post a piece you anticipate may end up being an entry.

Thanks, John. And thanks a lot for running a fun contest (not to mention the GREAT prizes)!

Thanks to the Mods for putting this together. There are always some very creative and very nice turnings that come from these contests. It is fun to watch.

I agree with John - one entry. I can just imagine the fun it would be to constantly be pulling threads because someone felt they could do better or was influenced by a turning just entered.

The whole idea here is to keep things simple; one turner, one turning.

Hope everyone has fun with this and I look forward to seeing what creative ideas everyone comes up with!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    .....Once an entry is made, you are done, so hold off until you are sure which piece you want to enter.....
    Praise the Lord, Hallelujah and any other exclamatory phrases... I am done!
    Have a Nice Day!