Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 208V 2 hots edison tap

208V 2 hots edison tap

I was told an older WW machine that I'm looking at is single phase, "208v with 2 hots and an edison tap". I've not heard that before. Will it run off single phase, 220V that we're all familiar with?

220V is a obsolete voltage except in parts of the 50 Hertz world, a 200/208V machine needs a 208V supply, 240V is way out of the range for a 208V machine, a "Edison tap" may mean that it requires a neutral because it 120/208V, without seeing it just taking a guess.

It's probably 2 phase, yes that is a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    It's probably 2 phase, yes that is a thing.

Not being 208V. 2Ø is 240V.

The Practicalmachinist forum has some great electrical info. Someone there will know about two phase systems and how to convert to it. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    Not being 208V. 2Ø is 240V.

the area of the country he is in had extensive 2 phase power supply.

There was never 240v supplied then.

There is no such thing as "2 phase" power. What people call 2 phase is single phase with 2 hot leads. 208VAC is not "way out of range" for 240VAC. A great many machines are built to run on either voltage since both voltages are very common. Verify these facts with a real authority, such as a power transmission text book or an electrical engineer rather than anonymous people on the internet.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 05-30-2017 at 10:22 AM.

2 phase is a real thing. Still being distributed in parts of PA.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-...electric_power

Have had a couple machines that had two phase motors, one is sitting in my shop right now.

Google two phase. Lots of reading. There was such a thing prior to three phase being adopted due to advantages including lower cost as two phase needed two separate circuits ( 4 wire in total ). Three phase needs only three and runs at lower amperage so cost savings for wire was significant. Way more detail available online. Dave

I can't believe any 21st century city would still be using such a weird system. How do you run your machines? That is a true oddity. How do they produce a 90 degree phase shift with modern generators? When people talk about 2 phase, they are really talking about single phase coming off a transformer with a grounded center tap.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    2 phase is a real thing. Still being distributed in parts of PA.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-...electric_power

Have had a couple machines that had two phase motors, one is sitting in my shop right now.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 05-30-2017 at 12:31 PM.

The motor in my Whitney had been rewound to 3phasr at one point, but it came from the factory as two phase.

For those of us with old machinery, two phase is about as common as 200v machines. I run across a few every year. I'm sure Darcy sees more. Dave

I need to take a peak at the motor plate on the Tannewitz and see if it was ever rewound.

Electricity is basically magic to me. As far as I'm concerned all electricians received their training at Hogwarts.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    ..... When people talk about 2 phase, they are really talking about single phase coming off a transformer with a grounded center tap.
    That is Split-Phase, NOT 2 Phase. But I've heard a lot of people call it 2 phase also.

Split phase is a much better term since the single phase voltage out of the transformer is split by the center tap.