Thread: minigloat band saw

minigloat band saw

Just pulled the trigger on the G0555 from Grizzly. I just NEEDED an excuse to use the 10% ebay coupon that expires Jul 29. Now I just need a convincing story for LOML who's still not happy with my recent tablesaw upgrade: "You spend too much time in the basement already."

Hmmm....sounds like you need to introduce the LOYL to that new band saw by way of a wonderful band-sawn box project for some of her things to live in...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    Just pulled the trigger on the G0555 from Grizzly. I just NEEDED an excuse to use the 10% ebay coupon that expires Jul 29. Now I just need a convincing story for LOML who's still not happy with my recent tablesaw upgrade: "You spend too much time in the basement already."
    LOML loves my hobby. I get all my "me" time in the shop. That way when I am spending time with her I am happy, focused and charming. OK, maybe not charming but she really does prefer my post-shop-time-self to the me that day-dreams about being in the shop while she trys to tell me all about the latest Oprah. See if you can sell that angle.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Tried that angle. It'll probably work better when the kids are a little older and less physically demanding.

My 3yr old son loves to shadow me in the shop and pretend 'route', 'sand', or 'saw' anything he can get his hands on.

I still get teary-eyed when I think about the time my wife reprimanded him for bringing 'that dusty piece of plastic' into his bed. He promptly corrected her: "Mommy, that's not a plastic. That's a featherboard!"

Congrats on the bandsaw, not such a "mini" gloat. You'll enjoy it.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Bandsaw blade problems.

Ok, I received and set up my saw. Seems quite well made and intuitive to adjust.

I'm having cutting curves through 3/4 pine with the stock blade though (a 3/8" 6tpi, I think). When I try to curve the piece, the blade starts to twist.

The second prob I'm having is that even on straight cuts with the fence, the blade develops a lean and ultimately binds.

Something's not right in my adjustment. Any thoughts?

BTW, I ordered a Timberwolf 1/4" 6tpi which should arrive in a few days; is the problem just the blade?

Shawn congrats on the saw, and the 3 year old that knows what a featherboard is. My son just turned 3, perhaps its time to start showing him around...

The blade that came with the saw is likely not great. That said, it will twist a bit when cutting curves, that is normal. You have to get the technique right - push as you turn. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by developing a lean, but be sure you have all 6 of the bearings supporting the blade (nearly touching, but not quite, when not in motion). 1 on each side of the blade, and 1 in back of it, and the same thing on top and on bottom.

Also, you may perhaps be experiencing drift. You might want to pick up a good bandsaw book, like the one by Mark Duginske - it's an invaluable aid.

Followup - problem solved

I replaced the stock 'blade' with a 1/4" 6tpi Timberwolf blade.

It cuts like butter. Curves are perfect; no twist. That stock blade SUCKED.

I see now that the only cosmic purpose of the 'starter' stock blade was to get me extremely comfortable with calibrating the saw, and to teach me very quickly the importance of splurging on a good blade....

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    ...That stock blade SUCKED...
    Lots of folks have a similar tale. The blade Grizzly (and probably others) includes with their saws simply isn't worthy of the machine IMO. A shame really, 'cause right off the bat it leaves the customer questioning the machine and /or their own competence to adjust it properly.
    - Tom