Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CLearVue Mini or Dust Deputy?

CLearVue Mini or Dust Deputy?

Greetings to the Creek!
    I want to further increase my abiltiy to collect as much dust as possible. With this in mind, I want to add a mini-cyclone to the existing shop vac for sanding and such. I have looked at both the ClearVue Mini and also the Dust Deputy. With cost relatively close to each other, which will be better? Has anyone used one or both?
    Thanks for looking.
    Victor
    Remember a bad day in the shop is much better than a good day at the office!

Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC --> Contribute

Make your own!

http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm

Works great, costs less, and is more compact.

I received a Dust Deputy and was surprised that the inlet was a non-standard small size. Nothing fits it and certainly not a 2.5" shop vac hose.

clearvue mini

I have been using a clear vue mini for about a year now. Works great. doesn't stop everything form getting to the shop vac, but sure cuts down on the frequency of filter cleaning. Works perfect on my lunchbox planer.

If it wasn't for the weird size of the dust deputy inlet I would say go for that and save yourself the trouble of finding and attaching a bucket/barrel. I bought the Clearvue for that reason and it works great, just took a little bit to cut a bit off the top of a bucket, put the cyclone on it and silicone the gaps.

With the proper filters on a shop vac, I'm honestly not sure what the real advantage will be for you relative to sanding...at least based on the necessary investment for either mini-cyclone. And I say that with utmost respect for both companies and their products. Granted, my view is skewed a little as I use a Festool CT-22 which bags the dust for easy disposal. (But I do use a large Oneida cyclone for my shop machine dust collection)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I got a really good deal on a dust deputy about a year ago.

It does have an odd size intake ( 1 1/2" ). I found an adapter ( I think at HD )

Here are pictures of my setup. The adapter makes standard 2 1/4" inlet size work.

IMG_1753.jpg

This is a 2 1/2" DC hose from my router table. The adapter is for 2 1/2" hose. the actual size of the inlet is 2 1/2" which is standard for the rigid shop vacs. IMG_1756-1.jpg

Here are all the pictures in a Web Album
    Last edited by Bartee Lamar; 03-15-2008 at 2:14 PM.
    Bartee Lamar

Jim I too have a CT22 that works great but bags are pretty pricey. That is the reason I have a Mini Clearvue. I still use my CT22 as a shop vac and don't want to waste bags with general shop waste. The mini cyclone works great and does save the bags. One of these days I will post some pics how I set up my sanding station with my mini cyclone.

I chose the Clearvue for no other reason than the inlet/outlet sizes on the Dust Deputy. I don't like having to use a bunch of adapters. Probably either will do the job well. I did build a heavy duty collection box for mine rather than a bucket or drum. It being heavy means that it is harder to tip over.

Good Luck

Alan

Alan, yes, the CT22 bags are not inexpensive. Of course, in the two years I've had mine, I'm only on the second bag...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the ClearVue CV06 Mini mounted on a 5-gallon drywall compound bucket with four 1/4-20 x 1-1/2" bolts and some foam weatherstripping -- took me 20 minutes to fabricate. Catches 98% of sawdust to my 16-gal ShopVac and the hoses fit securely without modifications. I use a good filter, but this has saved using drywall bags, too. It works great and I got it for less than current list price in a package deal with my CV1800.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Payne View Post
    I have the ClearVue CV06 Mini mounted on a 5-gallon drywall compound bucket with four 1/4-20 x 1-1/2" bolts and some foam weatherstripping -- took me 20 minutes to fabricate. Catches 98% of sawdust to my 16-gal ShopVac and the hoses fit securely without modifications. I use a good filter, but this has saved using drywall bags, too. It works great and I got it for less than current list price in a package deal with my CV1800.
    If that 98% figure is accurate, then the Dust Deputy beats it. My DD catches well over 99%. Obviously I haven't measured it, but since darn near nothing gets through...

Yeah, the hose fitting is odd... (anyone from Oneida reading this stuff?)

This will not help your suction at all the only thing it will do is give you a added collection bin most people use theis because they fill there shop vacs to fast with a joiner or similar machine. The only time it would help your suction is if your vac is getting clogged this will reduce the time it takes your filters to get colgged.
    -=Jason=-

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Trout View Post
    Jim I too have a CT22 that works great but bags are pretty pricey.
    I reuse my bags. I turn on my dust collector and shake the contents of the CT22 bag into a 4" flexible hose. I don't get any dust and it only takes a minute. I expect I can reuse a bag 2 or 3 times without any problems.

Greg

Victor
    Here is the setup for my Dust Deputy. I certainly have no regrets buying and installing this unit. It works really well for the drill press, small hand tools, and shop cleaning. While the deputy works great on the bigger stuff, the central vac that you see in the picture never needs to be emptied - really fine dust does get through. I plan this year to put a hepa filter on the exhaust.
    The inlet is an odd size, I took the deputy and a piece of central vac pipe into the HD plumbing dept and eventually found something that would work as an adapter. Took a heat gun to the new adapter back in the shop, slide it onto the deputy - worked slick.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't worry about the %ages. If it wasn't for my wife unplugging the Clearvue and taking my vac to go clean stuff, I don't think I would ever clean/change the filter. I can use that thing for months and look in the vac and there's a tiny bit of dust at the bottom.

If I had a Festool Shopvac, I might have not bought the Clearvue, but I don't.