Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tormek or Grizzly

Tormek or Grizzly

Tormek t-3 for $339, or a Grizzly T10010 for $189.95? Does anybody own the grizzly? Both turn at 90 RPM, both are in wet baths. Grizzly's made in Germany. Both have 10" wheels. Am I missing something? I know the Tormek is suppose to be top notch, but the info I read on the Tormek t-3 says for use for only 30 minutes at a time. Doesn't sound like something I would want to spend $339 on. I would have to purchase the tormek T-7 for $589. Does the Tormek jigs fit on the grizzly? I am mostly interested in the square jig (sharping chisels). Which way shoul I go?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Welch View Post
    Tormek t-3 for $339, or a Grizzly T10010 for $189.95? Does anybody own the grizzly? Both turn at 90 RPM, both are in wet baths. Grizzly's made in Germany. Both have 10" wheels. Am I missing something? I know the Tormek is suppose to be top notch, but the info I read on the Tormek t-3 says for use for only 30 minutes at a time. Doesn't sound like something I would want to spend $339 on. I would have to purchase the tormek T-7 for $589. Does the Tormek jigs fit on the grizzly? I am mostly interested in the square jig (sharping chisels). Which way shoul I go?
    Check this sharpener out. I purchased one of these and so far works well.
    http://www.bigtreetools.com/products...g-machine.html

Grizzly is "engineered in Germany"

The biggest difference you'll find is power delivery from the motor to the stone and the quality and longevity of the grindstone.

I have some demonstrator T-3's on eBay right now.
    Jeff Farris

Thanks Jeff for clearing that up about Engineered instead made. And the info about the power and quality of stones. This is the kind of info I was looking for. I like to save money, but I try to buy "value" when I purchase a tool. Can you answer me one more question? How long will I need to let the machine (t-3) cool down before uses?

Blog Entries
    Personally, the half hour time wouldn't really bother me because unless I'm doing several irons, it certainly doesn't take that kind of time.

If I were going for a wet bath, I'd personally go with the Tormek. I went the Jet route and while it worked, it certainly didn't compare with my friends Tormek - I tried to spend less money and now I know why. It didn't have as much power and even though I didn't really wear the stone much before selling it, my friend sharpened a whole lot more for allot longer and his stone didn't wear any more than mine.

That said - I moved away from them only because I discovered that it doesn't take but five minutes or so to re-grind a bevel on a 200 grit diamond stone. For me, it wasn't worth getting the grinder out and normally you only need to grind a single blade at a time. Anyway - my .02.

I dont own either. But I have read reviews from grizzly owner here that have complained about the stones on the griz being unflat from the manufacturer. After dressing the stones the machine worked well.

I have a worksharp 3000 it works wonders for chisels and plane irons. I have had it for about 6 months a really like it. There is basically no learning curve. Flattening the backs and adjusting bevels takes awhile but after you get all of the steel where you want it. It is very quick and clean to touch up an edge. I got a couple of 80 grit discs for the steel that shows up needing a lot of work.

Other choices

I love my Tormek. I have the bigger one and it has no time limit for use, but it was $450.00 several years ago and, unbelievably, is over a $100.00 more expensive today. As for the smaller Tormek, I don't think I'd be too crazy about paying over $300.00 for any machine with the half hour limitation. If your truing up a new set of chisels you'll need more than a half hour. On the other hand, I have heard a lot bad things about the Grizzly. You might try the Jet wet wheel which is nicer than the Griz, and is equal in size to the larger Tormek. Also, all the Tormek accessories fit the Jet. Don has rightly pointed out that its still not the same quality as Tormek, but then its only $299.00 and I feel it would serve better than the Grizzly. Here's a link to a very thorough comparison of the Jet and Tormek.

http://www.joewoodworker.com/tormek.htm.
    Last edited by michael case; 03-29-2010 at 12:40 AM.

I have the older Tormek and love reading that review about the Jet and Tormek over and over. Agree with the findings. The Tormek is a great machine, was expensive, but it' so quick and easy to pull it out to sharpen blades now, compared to going through sharpening by the time consuming, PITA, (but yes...excellent result) "scary sharp", or "multiple wet stones" methods. At least in my hands the other ways were a "grind" (pun intended).

This article swayed me to the large Tormek. It is expensive, but if I could go back and had not bought other methods and devices, I would be even easy. Since I bought the Tormek, I have only used my water stones once and that was to use the ruler trick on a #8 planer blades back, then I went to the Tormek to take it to razor sharp. Anyway here's the paragraph that made the difference.
    "So you may be wondering where I stand after comparing these two tools. Originally, I thought the Jet was the top tool. At face value it looks better, faster, and more economical. I sold my original Tormek and kept the Jet. Now, 3 months later, I'm regretting that decision. My plan is to sell off the Jet and re-purchase a Tormek. The Jet's poor performing motor and weak tool rest are the deal breaker. The Tormek is more expensive and lacks the bells and whistles but it does the job at hand (flawlessly) without fuss."
    Here's the website
    http://www.joewoodworker.com/tormek.htm

I have the Tormek 2000, the last generation of the T7, and at first I questioned the price. Now after owning it for many years ,and almost ALL yhe jigs for it, I couldn't be more pleased. I am reasonably it will last my lifetime and maybe longer. Once you get used to it , it is quite quick to use with very good results. A nd I am NOT affiliated with tormek or any of their vendors, just a satisfird customer. JIM

The price is forgotten long after the quality is remembered

I had the Grizz but didn't like it. Not a bad machine, but just not for me. I went with the Jet because the Tormek T-7 was out of my price range.

I still have the Grizz stored. I you are interested drop me a PM and we'll talk.

I have the tormek and like it, forget the grizzley. I have not used the jet but have heard mixed reviews. I would go for the tormek I have never herd of a unhappy Tormek owner. The only complant I have herd on some of the hard turning tools is it takes more time than a grinder, however tormek has intrudeced a new black stone which cuts twice as fast hard materal and carbide.
    -=Jason=-

Blog Entries
    If you're primarily doing chisels, the Worksharp 3000 is pretty much fool proof. As to Tormek or Griz, I bought dad the Jet for early Father's Day during the last bargain opportunity and it has been a great little machine. He did choose the Tormek gouge jig for use on the Jet but, that seems to be common.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have the Tormek 2000, watched Jeff Ferris demo it at many shows and always wanted one but just did not want to spend the money. Taught myself the scarey sharp method, learned to use water stones and had very good results, then I came into some unexpected money. I finally pulled the trigger and have never regretted it, great investment. I attended a six week woodworking program in 05 and the head instructor poked fun at my Tormek, funny thing is that one of the other instructors ended up buying one for himself after watching me sharpen and then trying my machine.

Heather
    Last edited by Heather Thompson; 03-29-2010 at 10:58 AM.
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

I found a brand new Jet for $100.00,still in the box.

It very soon quit working. Long story short,there is a little circuit board inside the Jet,easily taken out. There are shove on wire connectors that ACTUALLY are no thicker than a beer can,no exaggeration. One was cracked by the assembler. I just soft soldered it back together. Runs just fine.

I had dealers tell me that Jets often won't start right out of the box, but with this info I'm giving you,it's an easy fix. If any other cheap grinder stops running,check out those connectors.

I haven't sharpened any wide plane irons yet,but haven't noticed any lack of power. I am sick right now,but I think you can adjust the motor to bear tighter against the large leather wheel inside the rim. You could put some rosin on the motor's shaft,or some Belttraction liquid (spray can). If the motor's slipping is the problem.
    Last edited by george wilson; 03-29-2010 at 10:50 AM.