Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GE versus Whirlpool Refrigerator?

GE versus Whirlpool Refrigerator?

I have been looking for a small Energy Star refrigerator for an RV. I need one that is 28" wide which limits me to 14.5 to 16.5 cubic feet.

Sam's Club has a GE 15.5 CF fridge and HD Supply has a Whirlpool 14.5 CF Whirlpool fridge. HD Supply would be a bit more difficult to deal with. For some reason I can get either fridge for just under $500, but every other vendor wants $700 for the same GE or Whirlpool model.

Any opinions on GE versus Whirlpool? JD Powers rates Whirlpool as best and GE next in line.

I was originally going to do Frigidaire as it is easy to find their Energy Star 14.8 or 16.5 CF fridges for $50 to $500 but every vendor has to order it and the wait time is two weeks in almost all cases. Frigidaire is not well rated by JD Powers.

both will be near identical. two things to check would be warranty period and process for getting warranty work. Sometimes it may be easier with one company versus another. I've never bought huge things from sams, but I would bet that their return policy is a lot more lenient than HD supply.

After my experiences with household appliances (fridge and freezer) that are Whirlpool, I'd suggest GE. They HAVE to be better.

My personal experience is opposite what Bonnie is suggesting. (No offense intended, Bonnie.)

In my kitchen is a KitchenAid refrigerator. (KitchenAid is just Whirlpool's fancy line.) I purchased it over twelve years ago. It works perfectly and has had no problems.

I have a GE refrigerator which came with my house when I bought it new in 2001. The GE refer is starting to go out.

My range, which also came with the house, is a high-end GE unit and is very unimpressive. I'd like to replace it soon.

The dishwasher which came with my house was also GE. It was the absolute poorest performing appliance I have ever owned. Leaving dishes in the rain would have been a better alternative to running that thing. I replaced it with a Bosch and left the GE at the curb for the trash collector.

Yet, there have been many shifts in the ownership of appliance brands over the past few years. I've heard a few horror stories about Whirlpool, but they seem isolated to a few particular models which turned out to be lemons.

Pat,
    If your appliances came with your house and the house was new, contractors do not put high-end appliances in newly constructed homes as a rule. They install the appliances that cost them the lowest dollar amount and buy them in quantity.
    I have heard horror stories about almost every brand name appliance. I check the epinions site for a reference prior to purchasing major expense items. The site does not always have the item listed and rated but it is a good starting point.
    David B

Blog Entries
    We've had Whirlpool appliances for many years and rarely have had a problem. The Sears Kenmore line of appliances is also made by Whirlpool.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    Pat,
    If your appliances came with your house and the house was new, contractors do not put high-end appliances in newly constructed homes as a rule. They install the appliances that cost them the lowest dollar amount and buy them in quantity.
    I have heard horror stories about almost every brand name appliance. I check the epinions site for a reference prior to purchasing major expense items. The site does not always have the item listed and rated but it is a good starting point.
    I completely agree contractor installed appliances are typically low end. However, even a low end appliance should work and last awhile. My range was an "upgrade" requested by the couple who originally ordered my house. It's near top of the line for a GE electric range. Yet, it's still a very lousy range.

I've been very happy with my Bosch dishwasher. I'm thinking when it's time to buy new appliances, I'm going to go with Bosch. I've heard about problems with some Bosch hardware, but the overall trend, which I think is the best indicator, seems positive.

Kenmore appliances are consistently rated very highly by Consumer Reports. Personally, I don't like buying big ticket items from Sears, but Kenmore seems to be good hardware.

Check the location of manufacture -- Most of the small inexpensive units are just re-badged from Korea and China.

They are all the same -- Japan and Korea own the small compressor market - now being attacked by the Chinese.

Some of the better units have Japanese compressors - but very few

About every 8-10 years I forget how poorly the last GE appliance I bought worked and buy another. A couple of weeks ago I bought a package of GE light bulbs. I forgot to turn the switch off and the first one blew out as I was screwing it in. I've had a GE range top, washer, dryer, dishwasher, and TV. All were totally unacceptable. The only reason I bought GE bulbs was because the store had no other brand. Others must have better luck than I have had or GE counts on first time buyers to stay in business. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    We've had Whirlpool appliances for many years and rarely have had a problem. The Sears Kenmore line of appliances is also made by Whirlpool.
    Not all Kenmore stuff is made by Whirlpool. Their 14.8 CF fridge is a Frigidaire. The only difference between the Frigidaire and the Kenmore is the logo on the front.

I'm more confused than ever after reading the responses. Folks who hate both Whirlpool and GE.

It looks like Whirlpool might hold the edge here, but then I need to deal with HD supply.

I don't how Sam's Club would treat me on the GE as it is delivery only. No appliances carried in the stores right now.

Discussions like this remind how heavily we depend on our appliances. Just imagine unplugging your washer, dryer and refrigerator. How long could you get by without them? Oh, the humanity!

Since we do rely so heavily on our appliances, I think it's well worth it to pay for good hardware where possible. When my wife and I were first married over over 25 years ago, you could buy used appliances and get a lot of use out of them. I think this is no longer the case. These days, Hardware just doesn't last as long and often it's pretty much non-serviceable. New models come out so fast and fierce, you can't get parts for old machines. Our first washer was a Whirlpool. It performed well for a number of years, but when the transmission went out, it was junk. It couldn't be repaired.

This fridge is only going to get used about 20 days a year in my RV, but it will run off bettery much of the time so I need Energy Star.

flip a coin.

Brian,

Most RV appliances like the one in my 26' 5th wheel are not off the shelf appliances. My refrigerator runs off of ac, dc or propane. A regular refrigerator doesn't do that. In fact, these RV appliances don't even use the same refrigerant....at least that's my understanding.

These are specially built and designed for use in RVs.

Mine would require the replacement to refrigerator that was designed for RV use.

You could buy a regular refrigerator and use it when ever your RV was plugged into AC power somewhere but things would sure get warm going down the road.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....