Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a "quest machine" or tool

Another aircraft carrier jointer please. Fire sale price and located close to any frilly type attraction so my bride will turn down the volume on the harassment going to pick it up and coming home. That's not too much to ask is it?
    Teaching grandchildren the hobby is rewarding. Most of the time

My dream machine right now is a real planer.. I want a 24" SCM, Felder or Martin.. Not fussy, I will go for whichever I find at a good deal.

I have three pieces that I've been lusting after: a good 8" jointer (easy to find, but not at a cheap price) an ancient and giant cast iron foot operated mortiser like an Old Yates or Oliver (much harder to to find but still possible), and lastly, I really really want a ship's saw, but try finding one of those.

... 50+ watt Epilog laser ....that fits my budget

for 2 years been wanting a Mini Max 20" bandsaw, and a few weeks ago a 3 yr old one turned up 30 miles away. Had minimal use, maybe less than 5hrs. Looked like it just came from the showroom. Picked it up for 1/2 of a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Cowing View Post
    for 2 years been wanting a Mini Max 20" bandsaw, and a few weeks ago a 3 yr old one turned up 30 miles away. Had minimal use, maybe less than 5hrs. Looked like it just came from the showroom. Picked it up for 1/2 of a new one.
    Time for a new quest! I love my MM20!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Time for a new quest! I love my MM20!
    Love x 4 now for me
    MM L55 stroke sander
    MM T124 lathe
    MM S45 18"bandsaw
    MM SP500 20" bandsaw

Well your going to think I'm nuts, but my quest machine is a shaper

Not just any shaper mind you, a Bauerle SFM 2 tilting spindle shaper....it's the kind of machine that makes me drool on the keyboard. I'd gladly trade one of my Martins for one without hesitation.

Someday.....

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    Well your going to think I'm nuts, but my quest machine is a shaper

Not just any shaper mind you, a Bauerle SFM 2 tilting spindle shaper....it's the kind of machine that makes me drool on the keyboard. I'd gladly trade one of my Martins for one without hesitation.

Someday.....

Jeff
    Jeff, I understand completely. I'm an old US arn guy but go over to machineseeker and look the old euro stuff over. Bauerle make beautiful jointers, planers, and shapers. They are like woodworking art. Dave

Any reason you want the Ryobi over a Performax or Jet cousins?
    Nope. I'd take one of those too... Kind of figure the Ryobi would be more likely to be in my price range... From what I can tell the WDS1600 is just a Performax 16/32 with a different label and paint... I must admit, I'm cheap, I need to get this in as inexpensively as I can...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    From what I can tell the WDS1600 is just a Performax 16/32 with a different label and paint...
    No. There are definitely similarities but it's not just a relabel.

A good hand brace (as in bit and brace) for well under $100. I have bought 4 so far and the Fuller is pretty good while the Great Neck looks pretty bad. I would also like some augur bits for these with four sided shanks. Haven't tried the $100 tools but I may have to.

I want an aircraft carrier planer, too. I don't have an aircrft carrier that needs planing but I might someday. How big does a planer have to be to fit an aircraft carrier through it?
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Tom, if you had just bought the high dollar brace to begin with... You of all people...

Jeff Duncan, now your just showing off... "trade one of my Martins".

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Tom, if you had just bought the high dollar brace to begin with... You of all people...

Jeff Duncan, now your just showing off... "trade one of my Martins".
    Oh no, actually I think of shapers like you think of bandsaws.....one can never have too many

I've got several bit braces and can't imagine I paid more than $5 for any of them. These used to be a staple at any garage sale or flea market. Then again back then so were Stanley planes....and now look at the prices Another example of if I knew then.....

When you say aircraft carrier planer.....do you mean a planer in the North American sense (planer), or in the European sense (jointer). If your talking a "planer" then the opening doesn't have to be much bigger than the aircraft carrier your feeding through it. However if it's a "jointer" then you'll want the tables roughly 2/3 of the overall length of the aircraft carrier. Not sure what kind of knives you'll want on there though...probably carbide inserts in a spiral head now that I think of it......cut down on the noise

JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    Oh no, actually I think of shapers like you think of bandsaws.....one can never have too many

JeffD
    I must admit if there is any machine it makes sense to have multiples of more than bandsaws it is a shaper. I have a friend who has 8 (though nothing like your Martins). He can do three different types of doors with no setups.