Thread: Ceiling-mounted blade guard?

Ceiling-mounted blade guard?

Other than Penn State Industries, who makes a ceiling-mounted blade guard with a dust collection port?

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    Other than Penn State Industries, who makes a ceiling-mounted blade guard with a dust collection port

Jason
    I think that Wood Magazine has a set of plans for one.

HTC offers their Brett Guard with a ceiling mount and dust port. It's on my wish list.

Charley

I don't know how any one can work with those things.
    With very few exceptions they have only ever managed to get in my way so I toss 'em in the rubbish.

The only nod to safety gizmos I take seriously is safety glasses and the guard on my 12" jointer. The former because they work and don't interfere. The latter only because that great wide expanse of whirring blades creeps me out.
    Otherwise I just haven't got the patience for them.

Honestly, I want it more for dust collection above the blade than anything else. That's why I want an overhead mounted one so I can just push it up and over to the side when I don't need (or want) it.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    With very few exceptions they have only ever managed to get in my way so I toss 'em in the rubbish.

The only nod to safety gizmos I take seriously is safety glasses and the guard on my 12" jointer. The former because they work and don't interfere. The latter only because that great wide expanse of whirring blades creeps me out.

I just read something the other day written by one of the Editors from PopWW or FWW that struck home. He was commenting on how blown away he is when he goes to big WW'ing shows and the number of people he shakes hand with who have lost fingers d/t Tablesaw amputations. Do you not like the guard or is it the splitter?

I use a Shorty spliter from here: http://www.leestyron.com/sharksplitter.php
    Works great and takes all of 10 seconds to apply or remove with the ratchet handle. It stays on the saw unless I need to do a shallow dado.

A friend of mine said the same thing for years and then just recently cut his finger off. Put a guard on his saw for a while and then threw it away. I guess he's setting himself up for a matched set of stumps....

I have an Excalibur overarm guard, however it isn't ceiling mounted.

It has good dust collection, and I use it all the time.

You can use them for non through cuts by removing the splitter (I have the Merlin splitter).

If you can't use a guard or other protective device (such as a feeder) on the table saw, you're doing something the saw wasn't meant to do.

Regards, Rod.

Like Rod, I have the Excalibur arm and guard (again, not ceiling mounted). I replaced the stock guard with a Shark guard which offers superior visibility and better dust collection. I know many have mounted the Shark guard from the ceiling with great results.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Here is my home made guard, mounted to the ceiling. It swings out of the way when necessary.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

11. Jason said:
    Honestly, I want it more for dust collection above the blade than anything else.
    I’d like to have DC just no room over head or underneath. I have a low ceiling.

Mark and Jerry found my style to be uncomfortable.

stumps
    &
    amputations
    Oh my.

Well guys what can I say, it’s been 30 some odd years woodworking and another 15 or so in the worst machine shops you can imagine back in the 1970’s and 80’s ( places where the OSHA guy never dared tread) and I still got all my digits. I chalk it up to having learned how to work around dangerous machinery safely doing it as a full time occupation. Old habits sort of stick.