Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to get arbors for my Delta 12-14 Table Saw

Where to get arbors for my Delta 12-14 Table Saw

Anyone have any suggestions on where to find arbor spindle adaptors for my Delta 12-14 saw? It has a 1" on it now and I like it, but I have over 50 12" x1.5" arbor blades that are brand new that I would love to keep and use for it and my PM72. Thought about using a adaptor but don't like the idea, was thinking about making a new arbor adaptor or having a machine shop do so, even better I wonder if there was a variety of one out there I could get re machined to work so I would have the matching arbor nut. Anyhow just wondering. If nothing comes up I will just sell the blades and buy 1" arbor blades.

While we are on the topic how about a 1.5" arbor for the PM72.... Hmmm or for that mater what is the best way I could use some of the 100 blades I have from my SCMI hydro 3200 on these. If I get rid of the SCMI it is a little hard to let my blade collection go and not use them, they are all 14"x 30mm arbor so just a tid bit to big, darn it all, unless anyone has a hole shrinker they can sell me with their board stretcher I am wondering if I just need to accept it and begin selling blades.

One of the saws sold by Grizzly was a copy of the 12-14 and the arbor and nut fits. Doubt you will find anything other than 1" though unless you have it made. Dave

My first thought would be to have a new outer flange made that converts the arbor from 1" to 1.5". Excuse the rough sketch but it will give you an idea. If you have that many blades it may well be worth it, as they'll probably be hard to sell for anything worth while. It'll be important that the shoulder for the blade is just short of the blade thickness. Too long and it will hit the inner flange and the blade will be loose. You could have one made for your 30mm blades at the same time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kevin W Johnson; 03-08-2012 at 1:40 AM.

As I understand your question all your blades have a bigger bore than your arbor but you don't want to use a blade bushing. Why not? Been using the bushing technique in commercial shops for forty years. It's well accepted and a bushing is around $5. And the problem is... Selling off your blades makes no sense to me when the solution is simple and inexpensive.
    http://www.freudtools.com/p-329-saw-blade-bushings.aspx

Typically use dado sets with 1" bores and bush them to use on 5/8" arbors. You don't need to buy a busing for each blade. Half a dozen will take care of your needs and you can easily swap the bushing on different blades. I've got bushings for 2", 30 mm, 1-1/4", 1" OD's and various ID's. I can't imagine what you are so afraid of...
    Last edited by Rick Lizek; 03-08-2012 at 4:25 PM.

I agree with Rick, I wouldn't think twice about using a bushing. I was not fond of the idea until I broke down and did it though.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I have been using a bushing as long as I have had my saw. Came with a 5/8" arbor, but to use 12" blades with the 1" hole, I use the bushing. No problems at all. Bushings are el-cheapo.

Here is just a quick look and and this seemed like a nice package, of course you may only want the long, or just the short, or possibly both..........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delta-12-14-...item2a1a22d40b

My first option would be using a bushing. If that bothers you in some way, my second thought would be to have an arbor machined for your 30mm blades. I would think that far cheaper than the loss you'll take on selling those blades?

good luck,
    JeffD

Maybe give the SawCenter folks a call and talk it over with them?

http://www.sawcenter.com/

The saw center!!!!! If you only knew what the saw center really is...

OK Rick I'll bite
    The saw center!!!!! If you only knew what the saw center really is... so what is it really???

thanks,Ed

Ryan,
    Here's a good source for bushings
    Ballew Saw and Tool Co they're in Springfield MO, 417-865-7511 they only charged me $4.00 for 1"- 5/8" bushings

sent two out in aan envelope and only charged me $2.25 for S/H a good deal I thought for this day and age

Ed

Thanks guys, I will look into bushings, I have also found a couple of old flanges that I am going to try and have machined to be a flange adaptor, ie the bushing would be a part of the flange. I would feel more secure with this set up I think than a true bushing. I have an old set of thread on 5/8 bushing (were my grandads) to take a 5/8" arbor to 1", 1 1/8", 30mm, and 1.5" would love to use these as they were awesome but need a 5/8" arbor to do so. Does anyone know if you can still get the 5/8" arbor froma grizzly table that works in a Delta, or should I just try and find a 1" and have it machined down? I thought I saw a thread a while back about guys taking the 5/8" arbor from the Grizzly 12" TS and using it on the delta but can't remember for sure. I have a extra short length delta arbor I could get machined down if necessary.

Also any ideas on a arbor for a Powermatic 72? Did they ever make a long shank one for Dado's? I don't think so but though maybe I'd get lucky. Or is the short shaft 1" one the only one put in a 72?

Or does anyone have a old delta 1-1/8" arbor out there they want to get rid of? or know where I could get one?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Edwards View Post
    OK Rick I'll bite
    The saw center!!!!! If you only knew what the saw center really is... so what is it really???

thanks,Ed
    The thought that someone would recommend Saw Center as an informational source is mind boggling to me. I live near them and they are more of a store than a technical source for commercial info. Years ago I sent them a Makita plunge router that the guys in our shop had taken the plunge springs out and I told the Saw Center to restore it to original and they changed the bearings and didn't put the plunge springs back in. It was a new router and there was nothing wrong with the bearings! Their putting the pics of changing the arbor on a unisaw is grossly misleading on their technical expertise. True, they do some repairs on small tools. They cater to the homeowner and small contractors. The larger local shops deal with other sources for the most part. There's much better places on saw bushing info such as Ballew, Dinosaw and www.woodtechtooling. WTT has a guy trained in designing tooling.

Can't figure out this Ryan Carpenter. Sounds like a pro with all these saws and the 150 blades he has, and yet he's afraid to go the bushing route. Bushing are an accepted tool in the industry. Nothing unsafe about them. Any good tooling shop will recommend that option instead of trying to sell you more blades.
    Last edited by Rick Lizek; 03-11-2012 at 11:30 AM.