Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New To Me - Unisaw

New To Me - Unisaw

You're looking at the new owner of a Delta/Rockwell Unisaw.

I had showed the wife the before and after pictures of a few rebuilt Unisaw's and she was pretty impressed. Basically, long story short...she located this table saw for me and set up the meeting with the guy. The deal....she is the one to choose the paint scheme. Her choice, a black/gunmetal and candy apple red. Fair enough. So I picked up a working (sounded great) Unisaw for $350.

00b0b_8DlYc3HrxU3_1200x900.jpg00S0S_ahkvZFHzVc5_1200x900.jpg00404_96WE00rdUBe_1200x900.jpg00b0b_7jVdJ5SxCmV_1200x900.jpg

Now it definitely needs some TLC. However, seeing that the tops were PERFECTLY flat, there is no rust, it comes with the miter sled, mobile base, multiple inserts, and the Unifence. The data plate I located on the back shows its a model 34-450 and SN is FD-9332 which according to Vintage Machinery.org it was manufactured in 1972.

Now, I am currently stripping it to rebuild it from the ground up. I plan on replacing the Unifence with something else, and building a cabinet to sit on top of the mobile base. Any other suggestions or tips?

-Corey

There will be a lot of opinions on the Unifence, but I personally think it is one of the, if not the, best fence built. Especially the older ones like yours. That being said, let me know if you want to get rid of the fence, and, by the way, nice looking saw. I have one myself that dates back to the 50's. Great saws.

I agree that the Unifence is an excellent fence - as long as it's in good condition. The aluminum extrusion is worth taking good care of. I'm not sure how easy it is to get replacement extrusions any more. The Biesemeyer type fences are able to absorb a lot more abuse, but the Unifence has some refined features which I like (and miss!). My current Unisaw is from 1968, much like yours except I have the original Jet-lock fence, which really is a dinosaur. My saw has a side door which was made up by a sheetmetal shop for a previous owner. It's the only thing which makes dust collection possible, although dust collection on saws of this vintage is never very efficient. You will probably want to make a door/motor cover, or locate an original one, and keep motor access in mind when you design your base cabinet.

Welcome to the club Corey! You're gonna love your Uni! Mine was made in '47. Bought it from the son of the original owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Durbin View Post
    ...I am currently stripping it to rebuild it from the ground up. I plan on replacing the Unifence with something else...
    Uh.......why?
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Nice looking package. Congratulations. In the photo that Unifence is setup for cutting to left of blade.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Dust collection! You can make your motor cover from plywood. That's how I built mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    Nice looking package. Congratulations. In the photo that Unifence is setup for cutting to left of blade.
    Uh, yea, that's kinda obvious......

+1 on the motor cover from plywood. Makes a good place to hang your blade wrenches and a push stick too.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 02-20-2017 at 7:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sebastian phillips View Post
    ... actually got rid of the biesemeyer fence that came with the saw. TEHO
    How many Biesemeyer fences did you get?
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 02-20-2017 at 7:44 PM.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    How many Biesemeyer fences did you get?
    I own a unisaw and a pm66, both came w/ Bies fences........

Bill, I am sorry for my comment above, re fence for the left.
    Appears rude and I did not mean to be, sorry
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 02-21-2017 at 7:27 AM. Reason: removed want ad

Why get rid of the Unifence? I had one on my Unisaw (more modern model than your "new" one) and it worked flawlessly.
    Marty Schlosser
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/apexwoodworks/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ApexWoodworksFurniture/
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkmbvXb44CJ9t17SbHEWxJg/videos

The big reason for thinking of getting rid of the unifence is....well because I've honestly never messed with one. I've only ever used a Bies style fence. I'lol play around with it. One thing, is that the 52in rails are chewed up a bit.

So, I tore apart the entire saw today. Everything appears to be in great condition except the arbor bearings. They spin great but sound like junk.

One question for everyone...MOST of the hardware for the Delta blade guard/system is there except the splitter bracket. Is it worth trying to source one or am I better off getting a disappearing splitter?

Go to OWWM, BOYD subforum and you should be able to find the splitter bracket easily.

There are some excellent tutorials on rebuilding Unisaws on the Vintage Machinery Wiki, if you haven't seen them yet.

Nice looking, classic saw. I agree, give the Unifence a try before you get rid of it. You might end up liking it.

Corey,
    I have the disappearing splitter, and couldn't be happier.
    Installs and aligns in a minute.
    Does exactly as the name implies when you're dadoing.
    Readily available.