Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap TURQUOISE Inlay material

Bob thanks for the answer on that. Alan
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Thanks for the info...

I ordered some. I will test my crack-filling artistic skills (or lack there of)....

Alan, Bob's got it down.
    Some folks crush the turquoise in a pipe with a cap on the end, with a smaller pipe and cap to act as a plunger... just bang away with it, then pour it out.
    I have a small square crusher made from steel with a Railroad spike to pound on. I'll try to post a pic.
    (I now have a real handle on my hammer, too.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

I use a pipe with a cap on one end, then use another with a cap on the end to cruch the material. One pipe slides down inside the other. This does a good job and prevents the loss of material.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Hi All,
    I don't do turning....as yet anyway, but have been looking to get some turquoise for inlaying into mesquite things I build and stumbled across the post here.

Allen, I just finished ordering from Colbausgh. I did get three pounds as it's pretty cheap, but there was no minimum for the order other than you had to get it in pound lots. Thanks for posting their info.

As far as working it I have yet to try it but it should work like the other stuff I've done. I build a good many things with mesquite and want to inlay it in them Since mesquite is full of cracks I got a gallon of wood flour cement. A friend who made mesquite flooring used it and just mixed fine mesquite sawdust with it and squeeged it into the cracks in his flooring and sanded it off with a floor sander. I use a belt sander on my stuff. The wood flour cement is about 25 bucks a gallon and lasts a long time if you use it like I do. I have yet to try the turquoise but I did try filling a crack with brass filings I got from a local hardware store where they cut keys (my own idea but I have since read about it elsewhere). It mixed very well with the cement and was easy enough to sand off.

Like I said, I don't turn as of yet but plan to be retiring pretty soon and will have time to get into it. I keep thinking I will but then along comes another order.

P.S. (edit) The guy was nice enough to say he would throw in a sample of some red coral they have to let me try it so if it works out well I'll try to let you know. Doubt it will look good with mesquite....would be better with a lighter wood.
    Last edited by Richard M. Wolfe; 04-17-2008 at 4:59 PM.
    And now for something completely different....

Thanks for posting, Richard. I'm interested to hear about the red coral, too. I'd like to know how it looks... (hint... pics?)..
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Allen, Thanks for that info. I forgot about this thread like a lot of things.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

great deal

I just got a full pound from the bay... thanks all!

By the way... what is the best way to flush up this stuff once inlaid? I have never used it before.

Looking forward to a new challenge

Dewey
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Blog Entries
    http://www.thewows.com/isapi.dll/c/c...__Ver_1.0_.PDF

I thought this would interest all of us buying crushed stone for inlay and crack filling.
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

Cool, what are you working on?
    Have wood, will turn!!

Blog Entries
    I just recieved my stone order today.

I am very please with it.
    I bought a pount of the sm. crushed turquiose,4oz of the powder inlay turquoise,4oz of the sm. crushed blue gold stone, and 4oz. of the power blue gold stone.

It was all very well packaged the 4oz. bags were Dbl. zip lock bagged and the 1 pounder was a heavy duty ziplock bag and stapled closed across the top, then each was individually wrapped in newspaper and boxed.

I will buy from her again.

( I saw some Purple Turquoise on another website I want to ask her if she can get it, it was only offerd as beads on that other site.)
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

Pete, I did not see floor sweepings on the site. Did you email them and ask for them?
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Hi Folks,

When I saw this, I looked up turquoise on ebay and found this site. I wound up ordering some turquoise, black agate, quartz and blue gold stone. It'll be shipped to SC (headed back there this week), but the folks at this site were very friendly and their shipping was very reasonable.
    Here's the site: www.gilmerrockshop.com.
    I've never done inlaying, but I've got so many funnels and cracks that I thought it would be interesting to try these.
    Luck, Hilel.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

I got my order in the mail on Saturday. I used some of the finely crushed to fill voids in a Buckeye Burl pen I made yesterday.

It came out pretty good.

Thanks again for the info.

Can someone explain the use of turquoise in turning?
    Do you merely inlay it or do you inlay it and then turn it?