Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running my 3-phase bandsaw using a VFD

Running my 3-phase bandsaw using a VFD

I recently got a bandsaw that has a 3-phase (3HP) motor. I purchased a VFD (this one: http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/it...=2&category=32) to run it off single-phase 220V power. As it was suggested to me here by Erik to document how I get this run I have taken some photos that I post below.
    The VFD comes with a little booklet which you can also download as a PDF online. I suggest to get the PDF version as the instruction booklet is way too small to read easily.
    The most important point to remember is to have the output of the VFD directly connected to the motor (with no switch or disconnected in between).

First I decided to do a test run to see how things need to be wired. I don't have a blade yet (they are on the way).
    The first photo shows the bandsaw in its original shape.I took the wires out of the motor and connected them directly
    to T1,T2,T3 (which are output) of the VFD:

bs9.jpgps1.jpgps2.jpgps3.jpgps4.jpg

The power in to VFD goes to L1 and L3 if it is single-phase (for the case that the input is 3-phase too then you use L1,L2,L3).
    To control the unit I use the two multi-function inputs. In this case input 5 is a 12V power and 3,4 are for forward/reverse control of motor. If you connect 3 to 5 it will start the motor in forward case and with 4&5 you get reverse rotation. The factory setting was a 5HZ which you can adjust to 50Hz.

Since the multi-function input is low voltage I use a simple light switch to control it in the test run. I turn the saw on and check the amp usage:

ps5.jpgps6.jpg

It is using only 2amp on input (with only the lower wheel rotating as there is no blade). At start-up it goes up to 10amp.
    next post...

Removed the main switch and emergency stop and sent the wire from the motor to the front (where the old switch was):

ps8.jpgps7.jpgps9.jpg

Started building a housing for the VFD to be installed instead. Had some black (shiny) acrylic sheets. A thick metal plate will be placed on top to which the VFD will be screwed as a heat sink:

ps10.jpgps11.jpgps12.jpgps13.jpg

Here I'm installing the VFD and a switch and a partial housing to cover the end of wires:

ps14.jpgps15.jpgps16.jpgps17.jpgps18.jpg

And these last few pics show it finally done:

ps19.jpgps20.jpgps21.jpg

Didn't want to drill any holes into the saw, so I'm using the original holes (for the switch mount) to mount this.
    The good thing about VFD is that you can control how quickly it stops the motor (kind of a break). The saw has a foot brake but I guess I won't use it with the motor break.

Here is a short video of running the saw (sorry for the mess on the table, didn't clean it up before taking the video).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0BT8nUALaQ
    Last edited by mreza Salav; 07-24-2012 at 10:30 PM.

Very clean installation Mreza. I love the fast breaking, it will be slower with the mass of the upper wheel & band but still much nicer than using the foot break.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Very nice install Mreza, thanks for sharing.

$175 for the VFD opens up a lot more purchasing decisions when shopping for tools (especially used ones).

Thanks. I hope it helps others who want to go this route but are scared of complications. It wasn't bad at all. Lots of options to play on VFD, which makes
    it especially useful on a lathe or drill press.

Nice job Mo, That thing is a beast!

C

Why did you disable the brake again?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Why did you disable the brake again?
    I didn't disable any brakes. There is a foot brake which I can still use after turning the saw off (it doesn't have a micro-switch), I might add a switch to it later
    but VFD stops the wheels fairly quickly that I don't see a need to use a foot brake.

That looks great Mreza, i really like the way you mounted that.

Very nice install!!! Thanks for the documentation, we needed one of these to show how basically simple the wiring portion is.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    I didn't disable any brakes. There is a foot brake which I can still use after turning the saw off (it doesn't have a micro-switch), I might add a switch to it later
    but VFD stops the wheels fairly quickly that I don't see a need to use a foot brake.
    Did it turn the power off to the motor originally when you pressed the brake?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

13. Good wiring installations! They’re neatly done. I would like to have a VFD for my band saw too!

Bravo, Mreza!

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Mreza, where did you get the switch? I have a VFD on a 3/4HP lathe, but need to install a switch. Thanks.