Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ever hide tools from your wife??

Ever hide tools from your wife??

Its a sickness - I keep dragging home equipment that has pretty questionable need. Maybe there is a support and recovery group for it.

The latest is this line boring/hinge press machine. I pulled the trigger on it for $200, since I have some bookcases and cabinets to do and find drilling the shelf holes tedious. Figure I can use it, resell it if I want (of course I never actually resell anything - just collect), and come out cheaper than a fixture (I have a homemade shelf pin guide - but this thing will give some satisfaction, pneumatics and all).

Its going to take up shop space for most of the time, and my shop is getting full (Im just a hobbiest - not a production shop). And I know I am going to get at least one eyebrow raised when the wife unit sees it. But in general she never comes out to the shop, so am thinking I will just push it in a corner never to be noticed - until after the new bathroom vanity is done complete with a nicely spaced row of shelf pin holes in at least a couple places..... (I joke - kinda - she is very supportive and Im not out blowing our mortgage or anything - but at a minimum she might be overdue for some nice earrings.... or a bracelet....... )

Obligatory pics:

photoaaa.jpgphotoddd.jpgphotofff.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great score, YOU SUCK!

I don't hide tools since I am usually to excited about them the vast majority of the time my wife is a "if you want it get it" (within reason) type of wife. Funny enough I did get a raise eyebrow for the Dewalt tracksaw set I just got on sale since it is tax time, MY rule is we don't bay anything non-essential from mid-March to this year April 16th due to quarterlys and last years estimated "shortfall" falling on the same day... That was one of the few purchases I didn't run around excited about since my aim was to be hush hush but Amazon had her number in the computer so they called here to set up delivery, the fact it was truck shipped had her concerned I had bought another bandsaw...
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

When I replaced my Laguna LT18 with a Yates Y20 my wife didn't notice for a year. I've found it cheaper to anticipate the jewelry upcharge rather than play catch up. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post

........ the fact it was truck shipped had her concerned I had bought another bandsaw...

Sums it up right there...... yep, you will have a seat in the support group.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    When I replaced my Laguna LT18 with a Yates Y20 my wife didn't notice for a year. I've found it cheaper to anticipate the jewelry upcharge rather than play catch up. Dave
    Well since the only Y-20 bandsaws I have seen are Snowflakes it would seem a person that didn't notice the difference between a square solid door saw and a round holey doored saw might not notice the difference between a CZ and a real diamond which might lower the burden of the jewelry upcharge...
    Then again I forget, even if a woman doesn't recognize a CZ (in reality 99.99% can) they definately have a friend that would... I wonder if I could then convince my wife that there are no worries, my Minimax is actually a fake Chinese knockoff, maybe take a marker to the saw and turn it into a Chinimax...
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

My wife is also a "if you want it get it" (within reason) type of wife.

Trust me Van, my wife knows diamonds. And I make sure the back of the saw is facing her car. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    I've found it cheaper to anticipate the jewelry upcharge rather than play catch up. Dave
    I share the same beliefs. Except for large purchases, its hard to hide a KF700.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Hide tools from her? Good heavens, who would I turn to when I can't find something??

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I tried but it doesn't work. She doesn't know what a bench chisel is used for, but first time I left a newly acquired 5/8" chisel (bought to fill the gap between the 1/4" and the 3/8"--both of which she had seen) out on the work bench, she said "when did you get this one?"

Yes. But accidentally left the receipt on the seat of her car!

Quote Originally Posted by James Baker SD View Post
    I tried but it doesn't work. She doesn't know what a bench chisel is used for, but first time I left a newly acquired 5/8" chisel (bought to fill the gap between the 1/4" and the 3/8"--both of which she had seen) out on the work bench, she said "when did you get this one?"
    My wife is very savvy when it comes to tools and mechanical stuff. She also takes care of all the financial stuff in this partnership because I absolutely cannot stand to do the "books" so it is impossible for me to hide anything from her as she always sees the bills. I also get the "when did you get that" comment on those rare occasions when I have successfully acquired something new without her knowledge.

Blog Entries
    My wife and I share our personal email account. And she does our bill paying. No hiding anything and that's fine.

PHM

carl, you know what's funny? i bought an earlier version of that boring machine (it's a grass, isn't it?) and had it hidden away behind a sheet of plywood for months until i finally decided to relist it on craigslist and the guy showed up to buy it! since then, i've learned to acquire only functional tools that don't require significant elbow grease to get working. the prior one had to be rewired as well and i had no idea how to do it - good thing the current owner's brother is a master electrician!

My wife and I already agree on how and when to spend our money so by the time I am ready to make a purchase the discussion isn't about how much but where it is going to go. So yes, if I can hide it from my wife she would prefer it. But hide the purchase, never, that's goes against everything we expect from each other.