Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: OK, Who makes REALLY GOOD screwdrivers? Or, Apparently Craftsman is the new HF.

I complained to Sears's Craftsman VP's hotline about quality and the run-around I got on exchanging the Craftsman ones I have that needed replacement under warranty. I told them I wanted them to honor the guarantee printed over the door "Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back" I'm informed that's no longer their policy and they declined to honor it. They sent me a $50 gift card so I can buy more junk from a has-been failing company. Since I've out of town I stopped into a Sears thats in the mall near the hotel and looked around. I think I'll use it to buy some non-Sears lawn and garden items I need anyway and just be done with Sears other than warranty.

My Matco's and Wihas are sitting home waiting for me. 6 or 7 more hours of airport, airplane, and car time and I can check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    There are fairly serious penalties for misrepresenting the country of origin. But sometimes it's difficult to figure out what country gets to claim a product because the parts are made in many countries - example: automobiles. There's a set of rules that determine what country is the country of origin in those cases.
    A lot of stuff says assembled in the USA. I assume that means most (maybe all) of the parts were made in another country and they just do a little bit of assembly work in the USA. I suspect they do the assembly in the USA just so they can say assembled in the USA. I wonder how much assembly is required to qualify for "Assembled in the USA"? Obviously it has to be more than just packaging bulk product for retail sale.

If it's any comfort.....
    I used some of the Pittsburgh (Harbor Freight) screwdrivers the other day.
    My wife picked themup for free w/a coupon.

However bad Craftsman's are, I doubt they come close to being as bad as the Pittsburgh ones.
    All of them have handles that aren't tight. There's easily a quater turn of free play in each one.

LOL!
    Maybe they have a clutch!

The Matco's and Wiha's were both waiting for me as expected. To be honest, I think Craftsman makes a better or at least more refined handle. Both new sets have some mold parting lines that feel a little unrefined. However the business ends on all are much more refined looking than Craftsman's.

I need to buy a couple pry bars for when appropriate.

All of my go-to screwdrivers are from McFeeley's.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yeah, but I bet you got them before Grainger bought them and started outsourcing everything to China.

I am a full-time professional mechanic. I own my own shop and I'm the only one working there. I use my tools, including screwdrivers, daily in a way that's more destructive than anything it's possible to do in woodworking. The flat truth is that all screwdrivers are wear items. On a long enough timeline, every brand is disposable. That being said, there's a list of what are arguably some of the best made, highest precision, and most durable screwdrivers in the world:

1 PB Swiss
    2 Vessel
    3 Wiha
    4 Wera

All of them make staggeringly complete lines of screwdrivers. All of them are very, very high quality. All of them make a confusing number of model lines. Wera and Wiha make "value" lines as well as top-quality lines, so know what you're buying. In the end, the top lines from each company are so good that it absolutely comes down to nothing more than how a particular model fits in your hands. My suggestion is to buy a screwdriver from each brand out of whatever model lines seem likely to fit your hand well and try them out. You can then sell the ones you don't like for 80% of what you paid for them or more. Then buy a complete selection of whatever feels good in your hand. For me, it was the PB Swiss SwissGrip model line. YMMV.

I'm surprised more people don't use the 1/4" drive bits.

While I have several nice Klein screwdrivers, I hardly use them. I use the bits for just about everything. I have two handles that use them (plan on adding more), so I can keep two different bits ready. And they work great in the drill, too.

The bits are very hard. I've broken them on occasion.

I have used Xcelite screw drivers for many, many years but I am afraid to recommend them because I don't know what those being manufactured today are like. Many years ago, I bought a set of Craftsman screw drivers for the "household tool box". This was done to prevent migration of tools; they are distinctively different than all of my Xcelites. These have held up just as well as have the Xcelites but then they are twenty years old and not representative of today's Craftsman tools.

Richard W,
    I also have a set of Xcelite screw drivers and socket hand tools by them. They are close to 30 years old and still in great shape but I only use them for electronic work. I also have a set of the interchangeable screw driver and socket tools and they are still in almost new shape. My Craftsman tools were purchased in the mid 60's and except for the Phillips drivers are still in great shape.
    David B

Well thanks to this thread I just dropped close to $200 on screwdrivers.

I had no idea my old screwdrivers were inadequate...

Gee Zach, I've only spent about $100.

Blog Entries
    Screwdrivers are expensive these days. I was just at the Home Depot site pricing the Klein screwdrivers. Averaging about $10 each.

Dang. I hope they're less than that in the supply houses.

PHM

I ordered a larger Wiha set, a smaller Wiha set and some various other drivers I use from Felo.
    Last edited by Zach England; 04-15-2012 at 4:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    Screwdrivers are expensive these days. I was just at the Home Depot site pricing the Klein screwdrivers. Averaging about $10 each.
    I last bought Klein screwdrivers at Home Depot about four or five years ago and I seem to recall they cost around $6 or $7 back then. I thought they were expensive even at the lower prices.

Klein makes some nice multi drivers if you don't want to carry multiple screwdrivers although they can be a little short.