Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What wood to use with Paduck?

What wood to use with Paduck?

I have a beautiful piece of Paduck. It is 15" x 84". I want to use it for the top of a hall table. I don't want to use paduck on the rest of the table so I am wondering what other wood to use. I have some nice mahogany that I could use.

Does anyone have any suggestion or photos oo a table that they have made using paduck and some other wood?
    Tipp City, Ohio

You can see this built in out of beech and padouk. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=68851

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barhorst View Post
    I have a beautiful piece of Paduck. It is 15" x 84". I want to use it for the top of a hall table. I don't want to use paduck on the rest of the table so I am wondering what other wood to use. I have some nice mahogany that I could use.

Does anyone have any suggestion or photos oo a table that they have made using paduck and some other wood?
    Padauk, and Ebony/ Macassar Ebony are stellar when used together. The cost however can appear to be "stellar" also.

I do not have any furniture pieces but have used to accent alot of scrollsawn clocks I make and will say this that oak looks great with it. Maple or birch is also a possibility. You don't want mahagoney because they are too close in color when aged. You can also go the other spectrum and use walnut as the main wood. I have done this also. It is a nice contrast. The big problem with mixing light colored woods is the bleedover with the dust. One thing to counteract that is to put a coat of dewaxed shellac on the piece and will help control the dust when sanded.
    John T.

I used Wenge with it for a recent table

nice contrast

I used padouk with ebony trim on this box. I started not with how much wood I needed, but with what I could do with my little tiny piece of ebony.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Hi Ralph

I have a bunch of paduck that I picked up several years ago. After several projects I still haven't done this wood the justice it deserves. One of the suggestions was maple and another was ebony. Either of the two will take it from one extreme to the other. I think that contrast is a must but I have found that a plan straight grained or Quartersawn wood compliments it nicely. What ever you try please post some pics I would also love some ideas on what to use when making something out of paduck.

By the way ,don't use Purpleheart . I tried that already

Tom

Another vote for Wenge (although it sucks to work with it).

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Bukoski View Post
    Another vote for Wenge (although it sucks to work with it).
    The closer to Qsawn wenge is, the easier to work with. The "cathedral" or flatsawn grain fragments very easily. The splinters really hurt,

Ralph.

I'm actually very eager to see what you go with, and how it turns out.
    I have a 3'x7' and a 3x9' slab(s) of padauk in the shop. Both are 2" thick. They used to be one 3'x16' slab, but that was just too big for me to ever work with, and get home.
    I've set them on top of ebony and wenge just to get an eyeball on them.

I got to admit that some of the lighter grain suggestions in this thread have me thinkin'. Dangerous, I know.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 11-19-2007 at 8:11 PM.

Ralph,

I've done a couple of projects with padauk:

Padauk top with soft maple base.
    &
    Padauk top with walnut aprons and curly maple legs.

Both customers were extremely happy...as was I .

If you check out my site you'll see examples of both.

Good luck,
    -joe
    Illegitimi non carborundum

"If you walk, just walk, if you sit, just sit, but whatever you do, don't wobble."
    -Zen Master Unmon

To gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC
    CLICK --> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Hi Ralph,

I like the way maple looks with Padauk.

Box with Padauk lid

Picture Frame

I'm working on a maple jewelry box with some paduak accepts....looks sharp IMHO.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Another vote for maple, I had a friend build a staircase in his house out of maple and padauk and the contrast is fantastic in my opinion. The maple softens and highlights the rich colors of the padauk.

another vote for maple

Ralph,
    Here is a pic of a coffee table I made with Padauk amd bird's eye maple. I will tell you that Padauk dust will stain and tint the finish on a light wood like maple if you are not very careful. Also, I have found that Padauk when near a source of direct sunlight will darken considerably (losing a lot of its bright, eddish tone). This coffee table which is in the middle of a room away from direct sunlight has hardly darkened at all.Also as an aside, Padauk dust can be somewhat of an allergy/irritant to your nose. Just a heads up!

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images