Thread: Electrical Plug Wiring Question

Electrical Plug Wiring Question

I am installing a NEMA L6-30P plug for my new 3520B lathe. I have a 30amp outlet in the wall. The plug has a connection identifying the ground wire with a green color code, so I am ok attaching the green wire to that connector. However, there are two other plug screws identified as X and Y. The two remaining wires on the lathe cord are black and white. I am not sure which wire should be attached to the X and Y screws on the plug. The written instructions that came with the (Pass & Seymour) plug are vague. It says "Red, black, etc. insulation for hot conductor only" for the X, Y or Z screw (but my plug does not have a Z screw location). It then says "White or gray insulation for neutral only" and indicates a W connection. On my plug I have nothing that shows a W connection.

I am thinking that it does not matter which remaing plug connector I attach the black and white wire to. They could be attached to either one. Am I on to the right track? As you can see, electric is not my strong suit.

Jeff

If the lathe is 240v (l6-30P is 240v)
    then the white and black wires are both hot leads that should both be connected to hot posts on the plug.
    The x and y connections are both likely hot. That plug is pretty simple: hot, hot, ground.
    I hate instructions that are written to cover multiple pieces.
    Confusion is bad, especially with electricity.
    I am sure one of the electrical wizards here will chime in and correct my description if it is incorrect.

Good Luck.
    John

Jeff,

They are both hot so it doesn't matter.

With 220/240 you don't normally use neutral. Green is ground and the other two wires are hot. I've got the same plug on my PM3520B. If you would like, I can go check it but I'd bet a cold one that's the way it is.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken, John,

Thanks for confirming my thinking. Now we're all either correct - or wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wright View Post
    ... Now we're all either correct - or wrong!
    You're correct. 240v uses 2 hots + ground. Green to ground, and it makes no difference which hot wire goes to which X or Y terminal.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Veatch View Post
    You're correct. 240v uses 2 hots + ground. Green to ground, and it makes no difference which hot wire goes to which X or Y terminal.
    One note, if you use the white wire as a hot wire wrap the wire in black electrical tape within 1" of the stripped part of the wire to identify it as a hot wire down the road to anyone who opens that outlet box. White is neutral which when it gets back to the box is generally connected to ground and is usually safe to touch even in a live circuit situation so you want to make sure and identify it as a hot wire. Wrapping it in red tape is even better.

Well, I'm rather AR on wiring which is an outgrowth of having wired a couple of recording studios. Anyhow, I was faced with that dilema a few years ago and I decided that in my shop X is black, Y is red (or white), and green is ground. Also, black goes to the left buss and red (or white) goes to the right buss. It doesn't matter how you do it as long as X&Y are the hot's.

Thanks all for your posts; I've got the machine up and running and all is well so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian J Holmes View Post
    White is neutral which when it gets back to the box is generally connected to ground and is usually safe to touch even in a live circuit situation so you want to make sure and identify it as a hot wire. Wrapping it in red tape is even better.
    Considering the Neutral conductor as being "safe to touch" could kill you.

The Neutral carries every bit as much current as the Hot conductor (unless you're in a multiwire circuit where it's the difference between Hot conductors, but that's not a normal circuit).

I find it healthy to not grab any coppery or silvery looking metal that looks like a wire that charge might flow through....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.