Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warm Winter

Warm Winter

We have had such a terribly warm winter here in north Georgia, I'm concerned it will be a buggy summer, plus diminished yields for Georgia peach, blueberry, pecan, cotton and peanut farmers. I heat both my house and my shop with wood and we haven't gone through 1/2 cord, plus I haven't even burned up my shop wood scraps from last year. We had daffodils coming up in January. It looks like it will be another hot summer and year.

The Farmer's Almanac called for a warm and wet winter in this area and so far it's been spot on with the forecast. That said, today is seasonal with a high in the thirties but next week is all in the sixties.

Going to get to 80 degrees this weekend in western Arkansas. Goood motorcycle weather but jeez it's February.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Here in the Pacific Northwest...a warm winter hasn't been the problem. For the first time in 34 years that we have lived here, there has been snow on the ground for over 9 weeks. Usually, it will snow and be gone in 5-7 days.

Our local paper reported December was 5ºF colder and January 9ºF colder than the 50 year average. One place 31 miles north of here is reporting temperatures 31% colder than normal.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Warm and wet here in SoCal. We are expecting 5+" in the next 36 hours. We also have a Gale Warning in effect.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

It's 70 here in Baldwin City Kansas but don't tell anyone supposed to be in the upper 60s low 70s all next week
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Are you expecting five inches of rain or snow?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    Warm and wet here in SoCal. We are expecting 5+" in the next 36 hours. We also have a Gale Warning in effect.

Global warming!

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    We have had such a terribly warm winter here in north Georgia, I'm concerned it will be a buggy summer, plus diminished yields for Georgia peach, blueberry, pecan, cotton and peanut farmers. I heat both my house and my shop with wood and we haven't gone through 1/2 cord, plus I haven't even burned up my shop wood scraps from last year. We had daffodils coming up in January. It looks like it will be another hot summer and year.
    Marty Schlosser
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/apexwoodworks/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ApexWoodworksFurniture/
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkmbvXb44CJ9t17SbHEWxJg/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Seriously?
    5" of snow in SoCal would be the end of the world. We see 1/8-1/4" every 10-15 years or so.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Five plus inches of rain. Snow where I live (on the beach in Southern California) would be incredibly rare. Nights have been in the fifties and days in the sixties (Fahrenheit). I have never seen frost at my house.

Inland above say 2500 feet in the moutains, they could get snow. I can see it in the Sespe Condor Reserve from my house.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Piedmont NC here, more 70s forecast next week- not good news if you are a fruit grower

Winds here have been howling,with no let up in sight.So while the temps have been pleasant,don't go in the woods.Further,driving back roads is or gives you the willy's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Here in the Pacific Northwest...a warm winter hasn't been the problem. For the first time in 34 years that we have lived here, there has been snow on the ground for over 9 weeks. Usually, it will snow and be gone in 5-7 days.
    The opposite of here. South Mi. has had snow, barely, then it melted. 50s this weekend with one day of 60s next week.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Been a crummy winter here in SE Michigan, we did have a white Christmas but that is about it. No snow on the ground now at all. Having to drive north of the mackinaw bridge to find snow this weekend for snowmobiling. My only trip this year. March 1 we head to FL for 2 months so when I return it will be all green here. I like that too, just not cold and no snow.
    NOW you tell me...

East coast should expect April-like weather for the next week or two based on the jet stream, according to the news forecast tonight...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...