Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Out of control doggies

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Agreed. Long ago I took my new beagle puppy to obedience class. The instructor was walking around looking at all the dogs saying how cute they were and what some of the admirable characteristics of each breed was and what the owner might expect to get from the class. As she got to me she barely slowed her pace, looked me in the eye and simply said "my condolences" and moved on. I found out what she meant but, in the end it was worth it.
    That's pretty darn funny.

My previous dog was all lab. He was 16 weeks old when we got him, and we were told he may be "vicious." A lab? Surely you jest.

He was nippy. We trained him. He responded well to training. He was a fantastic family member for nearly 12 years. I took him to work with me every day. He was my constant companion his entire life.

So fast forward to the new dog, our house is small, so I wanted a smaller dog, if any.

So my wife gets me the half beagle/half lab.

Knowing nothing of beagles beforehand, I didn't expect any problems.

All I can say is that the beagle stubbornness is a dominant trait. As is the baying. The digging, too. Burying your treats, bones, etc., inside furniture, too. He looks like a lab, acts like a beagle.

Beagles are born troublemakers, I think.

But I wouldn't trade my half beagle for anything in the world.

I have absolutely nothing to offer in the way of advice. However, I was once trained by a beagle. I dated a guy who had a beagle named Snoopy. The guy was a farmer so Snoopy rode everywhere on the farm with him. The guy also had a jeep and the passenger seat was Snoopy's seat. Long story short, I got to ride in the back seat when we went anywhere in the jeep.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    I have absolutely nothing to offer in the way of advice. However, I was once trained by a beagle. I dated a guy who had a beagle named Snoopy. The guy was a farmer so Snoopy rode everywhere on the farm with him. The guy also had a jeep and the passenger seat was Snoopy's seat. Long story short, I got to ride in the back seat when we went anywhere in the jeep.
    Ayep. Same here. My half beagle rides shotgun. You can try to ride in the front passenger seat, but expect a dog to climb onto your lap.

My wife <- not thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Ayep. Same here. My half beagle rides shotgun. You can try to ride in the front passenger seat, but expect a dog to climb onto your lap.

My wife <- not thrilled.
    I would have been happy to have the dog climb onto my lap. We would start out sharing the seat, then he would do one of those disgusted huffs and start nudging me over with his rear end. He would do this every few minutes until I was on the very edge of the seat. It was safer to just get in the back. I ended up marrying the guy and, needless to say, Snoopy had a side of the bed, too. At one point we had Snoopy, two English Setters used for bird hunting, a three legged Golden Retriever I had rescued, three barn cats, and a pet pig. Pigs are hard to train.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

Pigs are hard to train.
    They take up a lot of the front seat, too.

.....At one point we had Snoopy, two English Setters used for bird hunting, a three legged Golden Retriever I had rescued, three barn cats, and a pet pig....
    On the bed.......?

Here's why owning Beagles is an experience:

Last edited by Bill Edwards(2); 02-10-2012 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    On the bed.......?
    No. Only Snoopy was allowed on the bed. I do recall one occasion when all the dogs were in the living room after a particularly close lightning strike. One second we were all on the front porch and then we were all in the living room and I have no idea how we got there.

Bella Terra

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Edwards(2) View Post

That dog is exceptionally smart, even for a Beagle.

Blog Entries
    I Pigs are hard to train.
    "Never try to train a pig. It's a waste of your time and it only irritates the pig."" Source Unknown

Blog Entries
    We got a dog on sale once. We had decided we wanted to get a dog for Christmas one year. My wife went looking at a couple of them and the pricing seemed to be up on the dogs due to it was Christmas time. $600 to $700 for a pedigree lab w AKC papers. Week or two later one of the people my wife had gone to see was down to their last dog and wanted to leave town for a trip. The seller offered to sell the dog to us for $250 of which we agreed. He (Bill) was an excellent family dog for 12 years.

PHM

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    The big one is Sweet Pea, and the little one Boo Boo. The're half sisters. Actually, we went for a puppy, and got the bigger dog at a discount. (she was the only surviving puppy of a litter of two) The picture is from last spring, so the little dog is now bigger than the bigger dog. Sweet Pea is my favorite though- I got her on sale.

One thing that they do when we go for walks is very funny- one will grab the others leash and start pulling the other around. They both do this.

Ok I own a short legged Jack Russel in the city and have a 12000 lot so he has room however after months of no success with him he went to school 6 weeks boarding. No he comes home and wala a perfect dog (not) he was still the same pain in the butt as before we worked with him to no avail then he turned 3 and it was like a light turned on. He is still a Jack Russel full of energy and if he sees a bird nothing in the word exist but him and that bird. What I did learn was by going to http://community.sessionswithcesar.com/forums/ there was alot of people with ideas but most of all encouragement. This little dog of mine is the greatest friend I have helps me deal with my deprecation because he always does something to make you laugh. I am getting ready for the head trainer to come do a house eval to help with a few last issues but feel this will work.

Do't give up being you have more then one dog it will take alot more effort to keep them both behaving.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

The cuteness is what is out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Edwards(2) View Post

I"m guessing from the boards above the door that that wasn't his first escape that way!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    I"m guessing from the boards above the door that that wasn't his first escape that way!
    I always assumed that's why they set up the camera. He had no idea how his dog was
    getting out. I would never have expected through the roof.

Time to invest a couple more bucks into the kennel.