Thread: Help fixing a mistake

Help fixing a mistake

Hello everyone,

I am making some cornhole boards. The boards have a frame around them with a piece of plywood recessed into the frame. The frame is painted white and I used Evengrain waterbased stain for the plywood. I stained the plywood and then attached it to the frame. I then taped off the plywood to pain the frame (probably should have painted the frame first in retrospect). When I pulled the tape off of the plywood it pulled up some fibers as shown in the image:

2017-07-16 17.07.47.jpg

I also made a boneheaded error by running my paint covered finger over the top of the plywood and put a nice little white smudge on it:

2017-07-16 17.07.42.jpg

What's the best method to correct these? Can I lightly sand the whole plywood top and then reapply the stain? I cant really reapply the stain to the whole top as it would get on the white frame.

Thanks for your help.

You can try painting the spots with stain. I would not sand.

Use a sponge and dab it on. Then use the sponge to blend.

Thanks, how would I go about smoothing out the fibers that the tape lifted up? It's pretty rough around the edges. I plan on applying poly over everything when it's all done.

Thanks

Sorry, I missed where the rough fiber part. Then I would sand gently but with 320 or 400. Then 'air brush' with the sponge.

Curious as to the tape you used; blue painters tape or something else?

Thanks! I'll give that a try tomorrow.

Here's what I used: https://www.lowes.com/pd/3M-Safe-Rel...-Tape/50053417

As I was getting ready to paint the tape had trouble holding down the paper that was covering the the majority of the plywood. I ended up having to use duct tape to secure the paper to the painters tape. Was really surprised when I pulled off the table to see my mangled piece.

Well, that didnt work too well. The whole top was starting to have fibers come up. I guess I didnt prep it well enough? Crappy plywood? I used 2x4 birch project board from Home Depot. I ended up sanding it pretty well and am going to try and restain. No other option that I know of at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim M Tuttle View Post
    Well, that didnt work too well. The whole top was starting to have fibers come up. I guess I didnt prep it well enough? Crappy plywood? I used 2x4 birch project board from Home Depot. I ended up sanding it pretty well and am going to try and restain. No other option that I know of at this point.
    Next time try grain-rasing the plywood prior to applying the stain. Then seal it all down with something like shellac over which you can then apply your durable top coat.

Step 1) Sand with your final grit (220 for the sake of argument)
    Step 2) Use a clean rag and distilled water (or you can use tap water if you know it doesn't have high mineral content) and wipe down the surface. Get it damp but not soaking wet. Go ahead and do both sides to keep it balanced even if you don't plan to sand the back.
    Step 3) Let it dry, but not in direct sunlight as it could dry too fast on one side and may have some warping issues
    Step 4) Return to your last grit and sand again.

Plywood from the big box stores tends to be the stuff they can sell for the greatest profit margin. While not always the highest quality, I've used some for projects and it turns out fine, just with some extra work on my part.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Thanks for the info. I had to look up grain raising and I sure wish I had before I started. This is my second real project and first time staining anything since high school shop 20 years ago.