Thread: Harbor Freight 3-in-1 air nailer/stapler and other nailer questions

Harbor Freight 3-in-1 air nailer/stapler and other nailer questions

Harbor Freight has this 16/18 gauge 3-in-1 air nailer/stapler for $90.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1618-g...ler-61694.html

Anyone have experience with it?

I believe this nailer has a nail depth adjuster on it. Is that right? How does a nail depth adjuster adjust the depth anyway?

Regarding the nail hole, does this nailer make a 16 gauge hole when driving 18 gauge nails? I'm wondering if the shaft that drives the nail is 18 gauge and used to drive both size nails, or 16 gauge and used to drive both size nails.

Finally, I use 2, 3, 4 and 6 penny nails. What are the equivalent air nails for those sizes? I've not been able to find pictures on the web that show side-by-side comparisons of penny vs air nails.

Thanks,
    Mike

I HAD a Bostitch version......the problem is the driver has to be wide for the staple, when one uses brads, the driver leaves a big 'ol dent in the workpiece.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Labadie View Post
    I HAD a Bostitch version......the problem is the driver has to be wide for the staple, when one uses brads, the driver leaves a big 'ol dent in the workpiece.

Ed
    had the same experience with a Senco version.

I

I own a HF combo gun (not sure which model) and it has the issue mentioned above, leaving a wide dent. I bought several of the HF single purpose guns and have had very good luck with them.

Robert

I'll pile on that I personally wouldn't be in favor of any brand of "combo" pneumatic gun for the reasons already stated. Separate guns at HF prices are darn cheap, anyway. That would be my recommendation...get separate guns for different fasteners.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The pile is to high for me to jump on so I'll just say, what Jim, Robert, Gene and Ed said.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sweeney View Post
    The pile is to high for me to jump on so I'll just say, what Jim, Robert, Gene and Ed said.
    This is my vote.

Ed, Gene, Robert, Jim, Dave and Nick:

Thank you all for your feedback. Just saved me from buying the 3-in-1 nailer. I never thought about the stapler leaving wide dents. I'll definitely buy separate nailers.

Although I'll be buying Harbor Freight nailers, I've read that their nails can have a tendency to jam often. What brand nails have you found to be the most jam free?

For pressure treated wood and redwood, what brand and type of nails do you like? Is it hard to find hot dipped galvanized or stainless steel nails for nail guns that have angled magazines?

I stopped by Home Depot yesterday and looked at the nail sizes. I brought 2, 3, 4 and 6 penny nails with me to compare. But it was hard to compare using the small windows in the boxes and I didn't want to cut the tape to open the boxes without buying.

EDIT: Opps, just looked at my notes so revising the below:
    My estimates follow:
    2, 3 and 4 penny nails ~= to 16 gauge. (16 gauge is actually a bit less or equal in diameter to even the 2 penny nail.)
    6 penny nails ~= 15 gauge.

Are those estimates right?

Thanks all,
    Mike
    Last edited by mike sato; 10-24-2017 at 12:46 PM.