Thread: Cabinet Bumpers for Blum Face Frame Hinges

Cabinet Bumpers for Blum Face Frame Hinges

Hey everyone!

I'm using Blum Face Frame Hinges (Compact 33) to install new doors on our existing kitchen cabinets. The gap created by the hinge between the door and face frame is 3/16" -- and I cannot seem to find any bumpers that are 3/16" thick.

I have a bunch of these and really like them. They have an extra little bump in the middle that keeps them from sticking like the flat ones eventually do. Unfortunately, they're only an 1/8" thick and you can tell things are a bit off kilter.

Anybody know where the heck I can get some Cabinet Bumpers that are 3/16" thick?

Thanks!

Paul
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

I use 3M bumpers that are 3/32" thick. Very small, and not very noticable. I know which bumpers you're talking about and they're huge if I remember correctly.

3/16" sounds like alot. Depending on which hinge you are using you should be able to adjust that quite a bit tighter.

edit: sorry, just re-read your post. I don't think the compacts have a depth adjustment, but 3/16 still sounds like alot.

The face frame hinges are not adjustable in and out -- only left, right, up and down.

Paul
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

Rockler has soft stem bumpers that go in a 3/16 hole, they are 1/8 pround when installed, but you could make some cardboard or other material washers to get the desired stand off.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?O...Select=Details
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

or you could combine these two, to get 3/16 stand off.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...roductID=02S81
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

I use 1/8" thick x 1/2" diameter bumpers with Blum 33 hinges. They have worked OK for the jobs I have done.

Paul, 3/16" seems to a lot, the Compact 38N, 38C and 39C have cam adj. in/out movement. Could you exchange your hinges or just the base plates?
    The more adjustments you have the better, especially with euro
    David Werkheiser

I know 3/16" seems like a lot, but that is correct. Blum has very good PDFs on their site that list all the dimensions, features, and adjustments for the Compact 33. I've verified all the measurements on the test face frame and door I just got done making. It is indeed 3/16" and there's no way to adjust that.

Here's a bit of back story...

We have cabinets with 2" face frames. My wife and I wanted to update the kitchen without replacing the cabinets so we decided to replace just the doors and drawer fronts.

After looking at all the different options, we decided we liked shaker style doors with concealed hinges and a full overlay (1-3/4" on our 2" face frames), which left us with only one option (that we could find) for hinges -- the Blum Compact 33.

So. We don't really have any other options at this point, as all the material and hardware has been purchased.

I just need to find some bumpers that align both the doors and drawer fronts properly. If I have to, I'll just stick with the 1/8" thick bumpers I have. I just thought maybe someone knew where I could find some 3/16" thick ones.

I've checked Woodcraft, Rockler, McFeely's, Lee Valley, Lowes, Home Depot... and maybe a couple other places. I've also searched Google. And it would seem that all the bumpers I can find jump from 1/8" right to 5/16", which I find very strange.

Edit:
    By the way, Item 00S20.07 at Lee Valley is the closest I've found (and they're really close). They're 12.7mm (1/2") in diameter and 5.1mm (about 13/64") thick. I must have miscalculated the first time, as I thought these were way too thick. But it would appear they're only 0.3375mm (0.0133") too thick.

So, if you guys don't have any other suggestions, I'll probably just go with those.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Paul Fitzgerald; 04-06-2009 at 12:14 PM.
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

Blog Entries
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Glenn,

You must have been typing that as I was editing my previous message. I came to the same conclusion as you when I did the millimeter to inch conversion again.

Thanks!
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker