Thread: 12" Foley Bellsaw planer any good?

12" Foley Bellsaw planer any good?

Foley Bellsaw planer and it also makes moldings with standard profile knives. It has a 3hp motor 230v single phase. Planing capacity is 12" wide x 6" thick. does anybody know anything about this unit?

i can pick it up for $300

i expect to mostly use it for creating molding.

what is considered standard profile knives? where can i get them?

what do you think?

thanks

lap

They are still a pretty decent planer. I have a 12" Craftsman planer that was made by Bellsaw, good machine.
    The Bellsaw planers were also the initial design for the Woodmaster planers.
    You can still get parts for them, http://www.belsaw.com/.
    The Woodmaster kinves might fit also, http://www.woodmastertools.com/

I don't know about the price, it seems a little high being a 3hp unit, many of them were 5hp. Are there any extras that come with it?

Ed

no extras and i already have a 15" planer but was wondering if this unit is worth is just for molding? hmmmm it caught my eye in that it was a 220v unit with 3hp.

Lol. Just responded to your post on WN.

steve that is funny i am hoping to jump on this over this weekend which is why i posted the question on both sites.

you mentioned corrugated knives what are these? and compared to what? now that is funny you answer a question there and get a responce to it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Labadie View Post
    They are still a pretty decent planer. I have a 12" Craftsman planer that was made by Bellsaw, good machine.
    The Bellsaw planers were also the initial design for the Woodmaster planers.
    You can still get parts for them, http://www.belsaw.com/.
    The Woodmaster kinves might fit also, http://www.woodmastertools.com/

I don't know about the price, it seems a little high being a 3hp unit, many of them were 5hp. Are there any extras that come with it?

Ed
    thanks ed for the link it appears you can also turn the unit into a drum sander which is interesting. i have a performax but this would allow different grits to be loaded and avil at the same time.

The new Woodmasters can be converted to a drum sander, not the old Belsaws, sorry.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by craig lapiana View Post
    steve that is funny i am hoping to jump on this over this weekend which is why i posted the question on both sites.

you mentioned corrugated knives what are these? and compared to what? now that is funny you answer a question there and get a responce to it here.
    Corrugations [grooves] on the back side of the knives]

Industrial machinery runs these. Knives stay put in the head.

Yes. I'm following both of your posts

I've got a 5HP model I refurbished a few years ago. Haven't had the need for a molder much (have a molding head for the tablesaw already), but it's a great little planer. $300 seems worth it, even with the 3HP motor.

Craig,

I just purchased a 20 year old 5 horse 910 model a few weeks ago. It was used very little and only as a planer. With it came the gang saw, new planer blades, and all accesseries still packed in the original boxes. I called Belsaw to see if a dust collection system was available for the unit. It is not, but I was informed that the unit as I bought it is worth a minimum of $700 with the new old stock attachments. I did pay the asking price, sight unseen, of $100. Was pleasently surprised when I picked it up, as it was in excellent, clean condition and performs as expected.

Belsaw has many moulding cutters in stock and will make any custom ones as ordered. If in good condition, the unit you are buying should serve you well.

Bill Sampson, Richmond