Thread: Good Segmented Turning Software

Good Segmented Turning Software

I was wondering if there is any good segmented turning software? Further any recommended for use on the Mac?

You can try woodturnerpro.com or Bill Kander has his own software available online. I have tried a few but found them to be comfusing and a bit of a hinderance. I prefer paper and pencil. The number of segments will equal the angles. There are lots of sites but I like Kevin Neely's site turnedwood.com for quick info. Good Luck.

Walt

Blog Entries
    Woodturner studio is great for sizing, shaping and designs with squares and rectangles. It also lets you change colors, number of segments and lets you do other customizing. Unfortunatly it doesn't let you do angles. Great for getting most of your needs though.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    Woodturner studio is great for sizing, shaping and designs with squares and rectangles. It also lets you change colors, number of segments and lets you do other customizing. Unfortunatly it doesn't let you do angles. Great for getting most of your needs though.
    Bill, what do you mean by "it doesn't let you do angles"? For basic bowl and vase designs, it does just about everything that needs to be done. What am I missing? I have no "stake" in Woodturner Studio, but I do occassionally use it and I know its creator - Jerry Bennett (great guy and accomplished segmenter).

Mac---

Although I've never done a segmented piece before, I'd second Walt on the paper and pencil idea---at least for initial design. It's been my personal experience that graph paper has a much shallower learning curve than CAD software.
    That's not a light at the end of the tunnel; It's a naked singularity.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III

Woodturner's studio won't work with a MAC unless you have virtual PC. Bummer. It's a fun, easy program.

I use the woodturnerPro software and find it to be quite good. The laminationpro utility is great for expermenting with segment design and transfers the info to woodturnerpro for use in a project. 3Ddesign is also good for generating the profile and this is also transferable to woodturnerPro for the ring layout. The whole package is easy to use.

I have to agree with Mike I have used couple of different ones on a 30 day demo and woodturnerpro and laminationpro I found the most useful for me. I have not bought one yet but waiting after Cmas to see if I am going to buy one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Tibbetts View Post
    Bill, what do you mean by "it doesn't let you do angles"? For basic bowl and vase designs, it does just about everything that needs to be done. What am I missing? I have no "stake" in Woodturner Studio, but I do occasionally use it and I know its creator - Jerry Bennett (great guy and accomplished segmenter).
    It didn't come with any directions so maybe I haven't found it. As far as I can tell, I have to make segments with vertical sides, therefor I'm limited on the patterns I can make. I have some ideas I'd like to discuss with him as far as a way to design the feature rings on a program. If he's interested, have him contact me. I love his program.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I have used all of the software mentioned above and ended up purchasing Segmented Project Planner. This is the software that Bill Kandler sells. I have used it quite a bit and I find it extremely easy to use and it gives me everything that I need for a project. Just my $.02