Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Next project to be a little different

I live nearby and have a sawzall. If you want it gone, I can haul it back to Columbus and put it out with my trash.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Managed to get a few pictures of what is going on down there.......welcome to my world....
    Attachment 350645
    That back there is the dryer that has to leave, the washer and dryer off to the left are the Laundry Room of the Boss. I am not allowed to touch them. I have to watch how tall I get with any new storage..
    Attachment 350651
    A Dryer vent through the old window, as there wasn't a vent before. That be a Gas Meter hanging there, as well. I may add a rack to the side of the new storage to hold the clamps.
    Attachment 350652
    This will need to go as well. Just collections "junk" and other items. Once clean and spiffified up, it will make someone a nice Blanket/Hope Chest. I intend to move the plane and the brace tills to a new location....as soon as the Three Amigos leave
    Attachment 350653
    These three will go where the tills were. I'll need to install a power strip on that North bench, some I no longer have to drape a cord across the workbench.
    Thanks to the gas meter and that vent, the saws will just have to hang out here, for now..
    Attachment 350654
    Have a crowded space I need to re-arrange, as well..
    Attachment 350655
    Thinking the Tool Chest #2 could turn around, and slide under the lathe's bench. I could bring the Mitre saw Bench out away from the wall, and back it against the workbench. The rest of the little tools can go against the wall, along with this old guy..
    Attachment 350656
    As most of the tools on it, other than the fixed sanding center, will find a drawer to hide in.

Thursday is a follow up on the knee, maybe i hope, I can get started by this weekend on the remodel job. Hope Igor hasn't gone on strike, again...

Let me just say that visiting steven convinced me to spend a few days cleaning up my workshop...things are going much better now...

...also, I find open shelves to be better to stage things on many times....

The chest of drawers to take the place of that dryer....now has a "plan" of sorts on paper....
    Natasha: " You have plan, Dahlink?"
    Boris " Of course i have plan, they don't always work, but I always have plan"

Or, something like that..
    First I drew out a few lines on paper, using a pen..
    start here.jpg
    So far, there is one upright corner post, and two webframes with a face frame over them..I doodled a bit more..
    front spaces.jpg
    Working my way up until I reached the top.....
    IMAG0005.jpg
    More to figure out the spacings, and get a number to cut the corner posts to.
    Corner post a 4/4 x 3" wide, I think I came up with a height of the post @ 42-1/2"....IF my "old math" still works.

webframes are a bit basic..
    webframes.jpg
    counting the kicker in the center, just five pieces per frame. Face frame part will connect to the corner posts with a dovetail, and is glued to the webframe.
    profile of the post..
    IMAG0006.jpg
    I notch the foot a bit. Rails/stiles between the posts will get a molded edge and match the same molding along the posts. There will be a rebate along the edges on the insides, and a plywood panel will be set into that.
    need to figure out what size to make the webframe parts, next. Stay tuned....

Hi Steven,

Sounds like you are contemplating a good project. Needing a 23 year old back isn't my problem...it's needing 23 year old knees and shoulders. Although at 23 I could probably lift 2 or 3 times what I can now.

Stew

Hi Steven,

Your basement shop looks like my half of the garage, but you have more and better stuff than I do. (That's not to say that I can't mess things up pretty well with what I do have.) However, you do have a bench that is usable.

I like your drawing up plans, I do that too, but then I lose the plans. Maybe I can make some progress next summer, hope to build some storage, or MAYBE build a bit of a shop.

I've made a little progress in the past year, but you have made a lot more. I have to get a big project done at work, and then maybe I can work a little on my stuff next summer when it gets warm.

There is always hope for folks like us!

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 01-03-2017 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    I live nearby and have a sawzall. If you want it gone, I can haul it back to Columbus and put it out with my trash.
    If you head out there, let me know.... Perhaps I can tag along and help you play pack mule! Always a hoot to hang with Steve! I am trying imagine three of us in that shop together!

And Steve, if you need a few scraps of wood, I just might bring some along. Might trade you a few wood scraps and a meal of Mexican food for some of the knowledge you have packed in that head of yours..... Heck, I probably owe you for what you taught me last time I was out.

IF the dryer is in one piece, I can get maybe $9.60 at the local scrap yards. I might keep the motor, if it still works, if not....a little more change in me pocket.

Thursday, weather permitting, I have a follow up on my knee. IF it is doing nicely, I might just start in on this project next saturday...almost tried to today.....knee was a tad sore, but it is moving a lot better. Will try to re-arrange a few items, just to make a bit more room. Might be some epic cussing going on, down there.....

Well, I had to start somewhere...we'll call it Stage 1? Moving day for some of the items, until I can get two large items OUT of the shop. To move the two tills to their new homes, I needed to remove them, and the stuff that was sitting in the way..

Moved the grinder up and around to the edge of the north bench, after the drill till was removed. Then a couple tools from the new locations were placed near the grinder, for now...
    power tools.jpg
    Yep, a scrollsaw, and a narrow belt sander. Needed to move those aside, to allow the plane till a place to go. When I moved the scrollsaw, I found out I had used it a bit more than I thought..
    sawdust pile....jpg
    Got that swept off. Needed to unload the plane till, and then move it aside. I had a drill press to stash there..
    drill press.jpg
    Ok, I moved the brace till into it's new home, and then the plane till right beside it....fun part was loading them back up..
    tills.jpg
    Theory being that I use the planes more than the drills. I'll leave that open drawer, too. IF something should fall out of the plane till, it will wind up in the drawer, and NOT bounce off the concrete floor. Also a nice place to store LONG handled tools.
    There was an old, non-working e-cord hanging overhead, I took that down, coiled it up and tossed it out. Will get a better one this weekend. I even cleaned the top of the walnut Tool Chest!!
    tool Chest 1.jpg
    rattle can to shine it up. Still need to empty it out, not a whole lot in there. Still need to find just the right places for the power tools on the North Bench. a Sanding center needs to go somewhere in there, too. Lower level of the North bench MIGHT get a couple of them. Stage 2 will be later today..maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    If you head out there, let me know.... Perhaps I can tag along and help you play pack mule! Always a hoot to hang with Steve! I am trying imagine three of us in that shop together!

And Steve, if you need a few scraps of wood, I just might bring some along. Might trade you a few wood scraps and a meal of Mexican food for some of the knowledge you have packed in that head of yours..... Heck, I probably owe you for what you taught me last time I was out.
    I think we need a Columbus get together...I should be sending out invitations/PM's when I learn What the rest of the month is like...

tried to get a bit more done tonight...then the leg started to act up...Walnut Chest is cleaned out, almost all the stuff in there fit into the tote..
    tool tote.jpg
    I moved the chest out of my way for a bit, so I could at least see the floor...
    almost clean.jpg
    And two, I could fasten a few toys in place..
    power toys.jpg
    The hand grinder can move as needed. I tried to get a picture of Igor, but he jumped onto the broom and flew away....leaving me to take out the trash..
    trash.jpg
    Leg was hurting, so I just pushed the chest back to where it was, as I can't carry it up the stairs. Nothing in it, just a bit hard to grip and carry..
    Walnut Chest.jpg
    have a Follow Up on the knee in the morning, so tomorrow will be a rest day.....after that...next stage.

You are a dynamo Steven C. Looks like you will reclaim some of the space in that shop for a more efficient use.
    David

My son came home from work last night, and hauled the walnut tool chest upstairs..

Soo...for anyone close to my place, there is a P-C #4210 Jig, and a walnut tool chest.....stop by and pick them up. Freebies.

Doctor Visit: No restrictions, don't need to schedule any more visits. Leg is swollen due to water retention. Needs to be "dried out" as it were. Have compression sleeves to ear for awhile. I guess i can get back to work in the shop. Taking today off, though. Resting up to go at it again. hope by tomorrow, I can move enough other things around and get even more room. Then I can start on that dresser build. weather was too nasty today to lay in any wood supplies....Drat.

On that chest, IF you want the tote that fits inside it, let me know. Now then.....Tea, Hot, Black, with a shot or two of bailey's Irish cream. And sit and watch it snow.....yuck.

Was going to move stuff around in the shop today....Boss has other ideas for today's schedule.....

Figured up I need to buy the following items for that Chest of drawers build:
    3 @ 2 x 4 x 8'
    2 @ 1 x 8 x 8'
    2 @ 1 x 6 x 8'
    1 @ 1 x 4 x 8'
    4' x 8' x 1/4" thick plywood Luann would be nice, may go with what has the best price.
    I have three 2 x 4 x 7' on hand, to re-saw down to 4/4 pieces as needed. Have 1x2 "strapping" for drawer kickers. Have a 4 x 4 x 30 to re-saw down as needed for face frame parts. One of the new 2x4s will be ripped into webframe parts.

Cut list is still inside my head, right now. I intend to do a bit of shopping around for the store-bought boards. Not making an Heirloom Piece, just something to hold all the stuff in the shop. Will need to make a lot of use of that Stanley #45. Too bad it can't cut 1/2 blind dovetail joints. I guess that will be done by saw and chisel....

Need to get Igor back down there, and finish the clean out work.....

As for that Stanley 45.....one of it's jobs will be to add a molded edge. and a rebate to the parts that make up the sides of the case, soooo
    IMAG0001.jpg
    I laid out a few parts...turned out I will need to use the longer rods....Screwdriver is a Millers falls
    IMAG0002.jpg
    Installed the short rods ( will change out later) and the sash cutter..
    IMAG0003.jpg
    Installed the sliding stock. Had to get it past the edge of the cutter, thanks to a slight bow in the cutter. And, tried the fence
    IMAG0004.jpg
    It will be close, might switch out the short rods for the long ones. Wood will be 4/4 thick, and i plan to go along the edges as needed. The "molding" part to the outside, the rebate to the inside. . IF I need a deeper/wider rebate...I have the cutters for that as well.

Drawer making will be after the case is done. Figure I need a groove for drawer bottoms to sit in, and a dado for the back to reside in. Might just have a cutter for each....

Plane is set up, awaiting a few chunks of wood....