Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My bench grinder started smoking

Blog Entries

My bench grinder started smoking

I was using my Delta Shopmaster Bench Grinder that I got from Lowes awhile back. The sticker started peeling off and then I noticed that it was smoking. Of course I had to verify that it was very hot by touching it, and yes, it was.

So I'm pretty sure that grinder is done, but it can't be more than a year old, maybe 1-1/2 years.

Is this a junk grinder? Can it be fixed? If not, what should I replace it with?
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Klein View Post

I was using my Delta Shopmaster Bench Grinder that I got from Lowes awhile back. The sticker started peeling off and then I noticed that it was smoking. Of course I had to verify that it was very hot by touching it, and yes, it was.

So I'm pretty sure that grinder is done, but it can't be more than a year old, maybe 1-1/2 years.

Is this a junk grinder? Can it be fixed? If not, what should I replace it with?

Generally when you "let the smoke out" they are done for.

Have you ever blown it out with compressed air? Could it just be full of shop dust?

And yes generally when a tool is smoking it is HOT How'd that feel?

If it was smoking and hot enough to burn the stickers off the case, I would say it is toast. That kind of heat would damage all of the internal wiring. If the grindstones are good, I would take them off and pitch the rest.

Ahh yes... once you let the smoke out it's pretty much all over. There was a hysterically funny thread on this a while back. I don't have time to search it out right now but if you want to try and find it, the laughter might soothe the frustration of having your grinder fritz....
    David DeCristoforo

Your motor is most likely toast...

Does the motor turn freely by hand? If not, the bearings may be shot and causing lots of localized heat at the bearings. If the whole motor housing is hot than you're out of luck...

Keep the wheels and don't bother trying to fix the grinder. Some of the turners have had good luck with the Woodcraft 8" slow speed (1750 rpm) grinders. The turners like these grinders because they come with friable aluminum oxide wheels that grind cooler than other wheel types.

Good luck,
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick Strauss; 09-14-2008 at 5:19 PM.

Does it still run?

Bearings shouldn't have gone this fast and I doubt they could generate enough heat to cook the stickers off. If the motor is a cap start or split phase, it could be the centrifugal switch jammed on, leaving the start winding permanently energized. Most likely the windings are cooked, but you might get lucky.

Delta seems to be selling really bad imports lately. This might be a good reminder that "cheap" machines are no bargain if you have to buy 3 of them in the same time that a quality one would have lasted.

Pete

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bradley View Post
    This might be a good reminder that "cheap" machines are no bargain if you have to buy 3 of them in the same time that a quality one would have lasted.

Pete
    so what is a quality one?
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Nobody sees the obvious here.

The grinder should be grounded and forced to learn about lung cancer risks. If he thinks it's making him look cool to smoke, he's got another thing coming.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Talking

I'd stay out of the Lowes tool crib for starters. I use a Belt/disk machine for grinding, but I understand Baldor still sells good grinders. You might give Plaza Machinery in VT a call as some of the folks over at OWWM have gotten grinders there. I've bought used parts from them w/no problems.

Perhaps there's an opportunity to create some rules of thumb here. To wit:

Hints that a machine may be low quality:

• The machine is marked "Professional Grade"
    • It's marked down from $74.99 to $49.99 at Lowes
    • The returns desk has set up a special area for that model and there are 6 busted ones in it already (saw this at HD once, and they were still selling the machine in question!)

I'm sure other creekers can add to that...

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Bradley; 09-16-2008 at 8:39 AM.

I looked at the delta site. and it appears you might still be under warranty

EXHIBIT 5
    Warranty for Delta Products (Other than Equipment and “X5” Models)

DELTA
    Two Year Limited New Product Warranty
    Delta will repair or replace, at its expense and at its option, any new Delta machine, machine
    part, or machine accessory which in normal use has proven to be defective in workmanship or
    material, provided that the customer returns the product prepaid to a Delta factory service
    center or authorized service station with proof of purchase of the product within two years and
    provides Delta with reasonable opportunity to verify the alleged defect by inspection
    from http://www.deltaportercable.com/Serv...arranties.aspx

Didn't anyone ever tell you, " Don't let the smoke out! Now you have to go to a motor shop and get a 'BAG OF SMOKE'!"

Sorry, I know you're upset, but maybe it gave you a chuckle. It is one of the many things told to New Guys in the service an industry.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Probably overkill for most of us WW'ers, but the HD Grizzlys sure look nice...
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-1-...-Grinder/G0596
    - Tom

13. Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bradley View Post

Hints that a machine may be low quality:

• The machine is marked "Professional Grade"

That's my favorite.
    Professionals don't use tools. At least not in their professions they don't.

I've been more than pleased with the 8-inch, 2-speed grinder from Woodcraft. It's basically the same grinder as their 8-inch slow speed grinder, with a second, higher speed added...best of both worlds.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4606

Well, he asked what was a good one.

http://oemproamtools.com/baldorgrinders.htm

I would ask, how much did you use that grinder. Most grinders sit and get used from time to time. If you used it enough to actually wear it out, in 1.5 years.. You might think of a higher end machine..