Thread: Divider storage ideas?

Divider storage ideas?

Hi guys

building a new tool cabinet and wondering if anyone has any ideas about storing all my many dividers.
    I'd like to hang them on the inside of the cabinet doors. Preferably some thing that holds them tight enough that they don't rattle around when I open the doors? A long slot between two boards that they could slip into? A little stuck on this one...

thanks
    M

I keep most of mine in a very shallow drawer in my cabinet, and one sits in a hole in my chisel rack.

sliding dovetails

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    I keep most of mine in a very shallow drawer in my cabinet, and one sits in a hole in my chisel rack.
    +1 on this.

Though it might be a bit more difficult if you have some large pairs.

Here is my drawer solution for some of mine:

Compass-Divider Drawer.jpg

There is actually space for a level below this top piece which is easily lifted out of the drawer. That part hasn't been finished of yet.

There are also a few other pairs nested about. One is kept in my main pencil, ruler, catch all cup.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Ooh! Nice French-fitting there, Jim. Mine just lay loose on the felted drawer bottom.

I hang mine in a rack that is just a board with perpendicular slots cut in it. Works great.
    Paul

The french fitted board that you can lift out and take to the drafting table is traditional. Mine are loose in a drawer. For what you are asking about, how about a magnetic knife rack?

Blog Entries
    For what you are asking about, how about a magnetic knife rack?
    One problem might be some of the dividers made of a non-magnetic stainless steel. The other would be if it magnetizes the tool. For some this may not be a problem. My own preference is against most tools being a magnet.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    I hang mine in a rack that is just a board with perpendicular slots cut in it. Works great.
    Agreed. This is what I'm leaning toward. Unless I scrap the idea of hanging them on the door and give that space to some other class of tools.

Thought about the magnetized strip, but I'm not a fan of magnetized tools either.

Anyone up for posting some pics of their door storage solutions?

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rother View Post
    Agreed. This is what I'm leaning toward. Unless I scrap the idea of hanging them on the door and give that space to some other class of tools.

Thought about the magnetized strip, but I'm not a fan of magnetized tools either.

Anyone up for posting some pics of their door storage solutions?

Thx
    Mine isn't door storage, but could certainly be used that way. If I get a chance, and you would like, I can take a pic of my very crude effort, in case I wasn't clear in my rather vague description.
    Paul

My are on my tool wall. I just drilled 2 holes through a small board about an inch apart for the small ones and an inch and a half apart for the larger ones. The points go into the holes and the dividers are easy to put in or remove.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    +1 on this.

Though it might be a bit more difficult if you have some large pairs.

Here is my drawer solution for some of mine:

Compass-Divider Drawer.jpg

There is actually space for a level below this top piece which is easily lifted out of the drawer. That part hasn't been finished of yet.

There are also a few other pairs nested about. One is kept in my main pencil, ruler, catch all cup.

jtk
    Hey Jim,

Did you use carving gouges to cut your recesses? I really like the look.

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Neeley View Post
    Hey Jim,

Did you use carving gouges to cut your recesses? I really like the look.

Jim
    Yes, I have thought of using my smallest router blade to improve the fit a bit.

Here is the original post with a little description of the build:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...orage-Solution

Here is the post on the drawers:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...rs-But-So-What

jtk

Those types of drawer inserts can be made in two pieces. The cutouts made with a fret or scroll saw then the bottom plywood is glued on. I'm working on one but I am using a small router bit for doing the recess.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service