Thread: Steel Drivin' Man

Steel Drivin' Man

There's no question posed in this post, no rant about a tool or company, no request, just a picture of me and a freshly-sharpened 5/8" Brades mortise chisel versus a big hunk of 8/4 eastern white ash that will soon be the chop for a retrofit leg vise.

Man that stuff is feisty. Good thing the Brades is just as feisty.

IMAG0242.jpg

Love the photo. Looks like lots of fun.

You ought to print that, frame it and hang it.

Blog Entries
    Nice chisel. I have been working some ash myself. I think it is from out here in the west. It is hard but a plane can make it shine.

I cut a smaller mortise in a much smaller piece yesterday. That is what the big mallet is for.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Nice chisel Jared but you said the pic was of you and the chisel. Are you a mallet or are you invisible?
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Nice chisel Jared but you said the pic was of you and the chisel. Are you a mallet or are you invisible?
    I'm in the photo, it's just that I look amazingly similar to a Tite-Marks gauge...

I wasn't sure how to word it without sounding really clumsy or making it seem like the chisel was gnawing its way through the wood all on its own. Frankly I had no idea what I would use the thing for, I got it because I was ordering a 1/4" mortise chisel from the same vendor and I have a thing for English-style mortise chisels. Then when it came to chopping out a mortise for the parallel guide, I thought "Hold on, I have just the thing!"