Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I really want Lie Nielsen?

Quote Originally Posted by Corvin Alstot View Post
    There are a bunch of plane makers out there that make exquisite planes that make LN planes look like an old Stanley.
    That's because they are. Copies of old Stanley's that is.,. Sorry, someone had to say it.

That's a beautiful plane in that pic Corvin. Very nice indeed.

Treat yourself to a bronze LN 102 block plane. You'll have to add a couple of bucks ($25 or so), but you'll have something that will be by your side for the rest of your woodworking days.

T.Z.

I too am a Timex guy. I imagine it works as well as a Rolex [never have seen or held a Rolex]. A LN plane works better than a Stanley. There is a difference that is much more than brand appeal. You'll discover this as soon as you use one.

Somebody thought well enough of you to give you this generous gift. Use it to purchase a really sweet tool. An iron 102 is really close to your gift size, and is a wonderful tool. It may however lead you down the sloooooooope.

BTW, if someone gave me a Rolex [hah, like that's gonna happen] I'd sell it and buy tools.

Personally I would skimp on power tools before I skimp on hand tools. Once you buy an LN tool you'll see and feel the difference. I consider my hand tools something that will be in my will for my two sons. I try to treat myself with one or two LN tools per year.

Use the $75 gift certificate to treat yourself to something nice. the 60 1/2R or a low angle jack are very nice choices. I use mine for every project.

They are adictive! Woodworkers crack!

Friends,

I just pulled the trigger on a Low Angle Adjustable Mouth Block Plane #60 1/2.

I'm so excited, I don't know what to think. I can't wait to make shavings.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Good for you John, you'll enjoy that plane.

That is the PERFECT plane to get started with!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    That's because they are. Copies of old Stanley's that is.,. Sorry, someone had to say it.That's a beautiful plane in that pic Corvin. Very nice indeed.
    They are copies, but a lot better in performance. The thicker blades and better quality control add for a much better copy.

Marcus - I've got to disagree. Do you own a LN? I've been tuning up old Stanley's for years, and own an equal number of LN planes. There are substantive differences in materials, tolerances, and in some areas improvements such as chip breaker, blade and body thickness, etc . . . Can a well tuned Stanley match a LN on the same board, yes. But, and this is only my experience, the LN hold their settings and sharpness longer, are easier to adjust (frog and lateral adjusters are much smoother) and can be bought new. Too many woodworkers new to hand tools run into problems setting up an older Stanley, and don't have a benchmark to gauge what a proper bench plane should feel like. On a budget, I wouldn't hesitate to enthusiastically recommend a beginner buy an old tuned Stanley from a reputable dealer.

I love old tools. The value, the quality, the history. John's got a gift certificate, let him have some fun. It's the fun of woodworking, not ridiculous. And think of this. Today's LNs are tomorrow's old Stanleys.

I do not own a LN, I have used a few and am impressed with the fit and finish. I do not think they are worth the current amount of hype that floats around this particular section of sawmill creek and want to tell new guys to avoid the expensive stuff because it's not necessary. The finished piece doesn't care what got used on it. It seems lately the ridiculous brand-hype that pervades the "I judge you by your machine labels" section of Sawmill Creek (General) has invaded this section and it makes me ill. I'm trying to be the contrary voice to the hordes of people who push the expensive tools. That's all.

I'm no hand tool expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I finally got a chance last night to put the LN #4 plane my wife bought for my birthday through it's paces and I have to say I am extremely impressed. Here's a glimpse of what it produced:

This is with the factory edge. I haven't even honed it. Man, it was pure joy to use. I had a smile on my face the entire time. I think all of my future plane purchases will be LN.

Keith

I have an awesome boat, want to see a picture of the wake it produces? :\

(Not intended as a jab at you personally, Keith, just at the idea that a lot of people focus on the side effects, not the result, around here.)
    Last edited by Marcus Ward; 01-30-2008 at 6:54 AM.

Marcus,

I don't know what touched a nerve, but the only person on this thread who is talking about brand hype and sanctimonious judgment is you. Am I missing something in this thread? I know what you mean about the General Woodworking side fawning over a $1000 Festool whatever, but don't let it make you ill. To each his own. Even in the most heated threads I can't remember anyone saying "You are beneath me because you use a Craftsman tablesaw."

As for Keith's picture and post, don't you remember the satisfaction of flattening a board with a bench plane for the first time? Pulling a long, clean, uninterrupted shaving? As for "focusing on side effects, not the result" you've missed the point. He's mastering the technique. The Chippendale highboy will come later.

You're among friends. No one is challenging you, your choice, or anything else. I've read many of your threads as you share your knowledge and experience freely. This seems out of character for you.

Peace.

Hmmm perhaps you're right. The thing I'm reacting to isn't this thread, it's a bunch of diverse situations where someone is pushing the bling tools for no reason than they're blingy. Hell yeah I'd love to own all LNs, they're great. Part of this is a reaction to our culture of buying on credit things we don't need, and not knowing anyone's financial situation I can't say they're doing that or not, but if they're Americans, statistically, most of the people here are buying these tools on credit, which is dumb. There is no way to justify it, don't even try. Part of it is more than once having my intelligence questioned because I don't think a LN is 10x better than a tuned vintage stanley. Yes, it has happened. I even had one fruit look up my wish list on lee valley so he could see I wanted some newer planes to try to poke holes in my arguments. Kind of creepy.

Yeah, he's learning technique, and it was poor of me to pick this spot to spout off. I want everyone to enjoy using hand tools and woodworking and most of all making things out of wood. The tools are just the means to the end, which is something you've built with your hands and sweat and love. I try to steer (sometimes shove) to make sure people realize that.

All that, and I wrote that in the morning before I had my first cup of coffee, and my wife doesn't even talk to me then so you can get some idea of my mental state. I apologize.

No hard feelings...

Marcus,

My feelings were a bit hurt by your original post, but I'm over it...

I was by no means sayings that you have to have a LN (or any other expensive plane) to produce nice shavings. As evidenced by another post on this forum, I have planes other than LN. In fact, I have a no-name #4 I got off of eBay (I think for the whopping sum of $25) that'll make some nice shavings, but it took quite a bit of work to get it to that point. I was just very impressed that the LN was ready to go right out of the box. And boy does it feel good in my hands!

Oh, and Fred, thanks for the support. But, I think you and I will both very old men before I gather enough skill to tackle a Chippendale Highboy!

Keith