Thread: California Olive Wood

California Olive Wood

One and all,

I am in need of some good, figured, California Olive wood. Have searched the internet and most of the central California wood shops etc, etc, and came up short on all accounts. I was wondering if any of you wood turners out there might be able to point me in the right direction. Any help and or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dave Garcia
    The Wood Block, Ltd

Are you looking for turning blanks, or flat stock? I see that Olivewood Creations in California (www.olivewoodcreations.com) seems to fit the bill. I have no experience with them, but found it on the web. I've purchased 3/4 flat stock from MacBeath in Berkely, but I can't be sure it's California olivewood and they don't list it on their website.
    Hope that helps
    Maria
    A woodchick can chuck wood

Peter Morrison at olive wood creations has a huge supply of olive wood.
    It was harvested locally in Visalia.
    Just cut off the parts that don't look like a bowl...

I have some chunks from a friends' tree here in LA area, depends on how large you need.

California Olive Wood

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Alvarado View Post
    Are you looking for turning blanks, or flat stock? I see that Olivewood Creations in California (www.olivewoodcreations.com) seems to fit the bill. I have no experience with them, but found it on the web. I've purchased 3/4 flat stock from MacBeath in Berkely, but I can't be sure it's California olivewood and they don't list it on their website.
    Hope that helps
    Maria,

Thank you very much for the reply.

I too have seen the Olivewood Creations of California web site. They are located about a 45 minute drive from me. But when I tried to call them using the number listed on their web site, no answer. I also have their address so my next step is to visit their shop as soon as I can get some time.

And thanks for the info on MacBeath in Berkely. I'll look them up and see what info they can provide.

Dave
    The Wood Block, Ltd

California Olive Wood

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Marley View Post
    Peter Morrison at olive wood creations has a huge supply of olive wood.
    It was harvested locally in Visalia.
    Larry,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I've tried calling Mr. Morrison to no avail. His shop is only 45 minutes away via car. My next step is to drive there and see for myself.

Dave
    The Wood Block, Ltd

California Olive Wood

Quote Originally Posted by Gary DeWitt View Post
    I have some chunks from a friends' tree here in LA area, depends on how large you need.
    Gary,

Thank you very much for this information.

What I'm looking for are small highly figured pieces to build small boxes and pens with.

Dave
    The Wood Block, Ltd