Thread: Suggestion

Blog Entries

Suggestion

This may or may not be technically viable.

I have noticed recently that a lot of older (sometimes much older) threads have had been resurrected recently. Rather than deleting these, as they are useful for search, could these be locked to avoid them being brought out again? Maybe, all threads where the original post is more than 3-5 years old might be the right cut off.

Just an idea...
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

As far as I know there isn't a means to configure an automated thread closure in our software.

I don't get why you would want to. What is the problem with someone responding to a 5 year old thread?

Its likely the case that the information being researched by a member of this forum is within that time frame of 3 to 5 years.

Blog Entries
    My opinion only, but I find it a bit irratating when someone replies to the OP on a 10 year old thread. The OP is unlikely to see it and the issue ends up being rehashed. I agree that keeping threads open for somewhere between three and five years.

Older threads would still be available for searching, just not for additional posts. I feel it preferable than threads being deleted after a year like some forums.

All this said, if it isn't technically possible or Keith doesn't want to do it, it is fine with me.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I think it is appropriate to reply to an old thread depending on the topic, and situation. The reply might not necessarily be to the OP but to the subject matter. I've been alerted to several old threads this way and got useful information by reading back through the thread. It keeps ideas together and may reduce redundancy.

Of course if "Bob" asks how to do X and someone replies 10 years later for Bob to try Y, that may not seem useful or appropriate. However, depending on the situation someone else reading might want to know how to do X. I can understand how someone might be annoyed, though, or feel tricked if they reply to the reply without checking the context.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    My opinion only, but I find it a bit irratating when someone replies to the OP on a 10 year old thread. The OP is unlikely to see it and the issue ends up being rehashed.
    I agree with Shawn on this one. Of course, I yield to the majority.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I know there are a lot of limitations to our software platform but I believe all this could be solved just by changing the color of the thread title after x amount of years. All we really need to do is be able to alert our members that the thread they are viewing is really old.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Agree with the suggestion and like the idea of alerting to the age of a thread. Perhaps we could use a sticky about the protocol to replying to 3 year old (or older threads) - DON'T. Rather, start a new thread and link to the old if that information is particularly relevant.

I would be against deleting old threads altogether because the research potential is very useful - certainly has been for me and just think about how much I already know .
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I'm not against tagging or closing older threads I just don't have the tools to do it automatically.

At some point in time we will once again have a very effective search capability here again and I hope that archive searches will be more valuable.