Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing T-track

Installing T-track

Hello Everyone,

I'm building a tapering jig that uses t-track that I can mount hold-downs to.

My concern is that the little screws that would hold the t-track in would not keep the t-track from lifting out when I start cranking down on the hold-downs.

Would screws and epoxy be secure enough?

Mark

Epoxy works well, and the little screws hold well enough to hold the T track in place until the glue dries.

Charley

Hi Mark,

I had the same concern when I built mine, so I drilled and countersunk twice as many holes.

You can kind of see them here:

P1020105.small.jpg

Mike

Mike,

That jig looks a lot like the one I'm building. Can you say Dubby?

I guess I'll glue and screw it. I'm thinking about going all the way through and using a nut in a counter bore. That may be over kill. I tend to over-build everything.

Mark

Hey Mark,

I think I got my inspiration from one I saw in a Rockler catalog . The biggest weakness of this design is that tightening the holddowns too much tends to deflect the center of the fence upwards.

Best of luck!

Mike

Mike.... Is there room behind the clamps to put a strip of plywood that turns the top piece into an "L" shape in profile? Attached to the edge between the 45-degree chamfers. That should eliminate all (or at least most) of the deflection.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    Mike.... Is there room behind the clamps to put a strip of plywood that turns the top piece into an "L" shape in profile? Attached to the edge between the 45-degree chamfers. That should eliminate all (or at least most) of the deflection.
    I'm going to add that to my design. Thanks Joe.

Mark

Liquid Nails is all you need. Rough up the outside of the T-track first with 80 grit. You are not making a vise, just a hold-down, it shouldn't need to be really strong if your blade is at all sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Duksta View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    I'm going to add that to my design. Thanks Joe.

Mark
    Joe, great idea. Mark, let us know how it works out!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Duksta View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I'm building a tapering jig that uses t-track that I can mount hold-downs to.

My concern is that the little screws that would hold the t-track in would not keep the t-track from lifting out when I start cranking down on the hold-downs.

Would screws and epoxy be secure enough?

Mark
    If you think about it there is not that much stress on the screws. What ever you are clamping down is applying downward force on the top of the T track. You are not actually clamping the stock to the table top but to the T track itself.
    America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter View Post
    Liquid Nails is all you need. Rough up the outside of the T-track first with 80 grit. You are not making a vise, just a hold-down, it shouldn't need to be really strong if your blade is at all sharp.
    +1

Rockler uses screws, in MDF, and ... they don't last ... not even past the first sneeze.

Liquid Nails would be my choice, too.

One way around the installation of T track. Dado slots on a substrate (I used ½" BB ply) about 3/16" deep and wide enough for the toilet-type jig bolts. Cover substrate with glued hardboard (I used ¼") with spacings over the dados for the bolts. All the thingies on the right are concepts for "hand-holds" on the jig.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just built my drill press table and bought the Rockler track. I was following the Wood magazine plan and it stated to use
    #6 screw 1/2" long. But when I use the clamp hold down the track lifted up due the #6 screw was loose. So I replaced
    the #6 screw 1" long and now the track stay put. I was using 1 1/2" thick table with 2 plywoods so I have plenty of materials
    for the screw to bite into.

Tru

I use #2 FH machine screws into T-nuts in my track jigs. They hold well. The T-nuts need a recess and the pic should explain...

Taper_Jig_Function_004.jpg

I made the "mistake" of using Titebond II and screws, thinking I could remove and reuse the T-track....

Wrong...

Once the Titebond II hits the wood and it swells around the track, it takes an act of God to remove it.
    FWIW - the T-track I used had (has) grooves on the sides. IIRC, I picked it up @ Hartville Hdwe.