Thread: Rockwell 46-111

Rockwell 46-111

About a month back I posted asking for advice on vibration and got a lot of good feed back.

Here is an over due update.

I made a torsion box for ballast with 200# of sand in it. I also raised the motor closer to the head stock and added a link belt. The lathe is level and now there is only slight vibration running at its fastest speed (3250 RPM).

I also made some dovetail draws out of Baltic Birch. Added some dust collection and a tool organizer thingy (technical term).

Thanks for the help.

002.jpg 003.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg 007.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hope you all got a nice stash. Because this was seized at the border today.

Mike,

You are waaay to organized! Your thingy (technical term) is almost exactly like the one I built for my Nova. Except yours looks better.

I've been rethinking it lately though as I've been roughing bowls. When I am doing spindle work or pens it is great but I keep running into it when I'm doing bowls. Need something better but I have not found it yet.

I am jealous of those drawers, I need to do that .... someday.

John
    John Trax

Mike that is a great looking setup. I only see one problem. It is toooooo clean.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

John I only just started turning a month and a half ago, so no bowls yet. I did order a Oneway Talon that I should be getting soon. Also I am going to order some tools from Doug Thompson. I have been spending most of my time on the lathe learning how to use my tools and learning how to sharpen them.

I have made some simple things. Such as honey dippers ,garden dibbles and lots and lots of fire wood practicing rolling beads and coves.

Berny I have been knee deep in chips since I started. I had to clean a little to put the draws in. I just got them in last night.

Here is a some pics of my grinding set up.

009.jpg 011.jpg

I also have plans to make a side grind jig which I will be making very soon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hope you all got a nice stash. Because this was seized at the border today.

I have that lathe and the base the 2nd or 3rd owner back built is pretty humorous.

A base like yours is on my planning book right now and I plan to shamelessly steal some ideas.

Is the base box full of sand? I was actually thinking about ditching my entire stamped stand and building a new base completely.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Joe I should have built the stand too. I wasn't going to go crazy on this one but I can't help myself and the hole thing snowballed.

Steel whatever you like and expand upon it. I research things to death and then take (steel) bits and pieces from here and there and make them my own.

Now I'm ready to sell it and buy bigger.

Yes the torsion box has 200# of sand in it for ballast.

Like the tool holder, might be a copy in the future.