Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Roubo, but this one's mine!

Another Roubo, but this one's mine!

I found Sawmill creek recently, don't post much, but have become very familiar with the search function in getting info on hand tools & techniques. I recently took the plunge & started a Roubo, after too long to admit it's finally done:

It's 10' long, 24" wide, 32" tall, has a Benchcrafted tail vise and sliding leg vise. For those interested, pics of the build are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/jacob.go...RouboWorkbench#

Thanks to the Creek for all the help & advise,

Jake

Realy nice bench, well done, I wish I could have a 10' long bench(mine is 5')! What kind of wood did you use?

Yeah that's a great looking bench! 10' you say? You didn't flatten the top by hand, did you? If I were making a bench that size, 10' top is enough to make me give up in despair if I have to flatten by hand.

My bench is 5' as well and it's not fully flat. I flattened only the part I use the most, so only 2.5' worth of flat surface and the rest resembles Grand Canyon. You did a great job!

Good Looking Roubo

Nice job, and good work on your bench. I am putting the top on the legs of mine this week. Is it just me, or does it seem the bench weighs 500 pounds?

Thanks! Some answers:

David- It's mostly southern yellow pine. I live in Louisiana, we are awash in the stuff. I got some great lumber from a supplier 2 miles down the road, started with 8 2"x12"x24'. I tried the local home centers but couldn't find enough decent stock. The right end cap is Walnut and both leg vice front chops are Cherry. I'm lucky enough to have a shop big enough for a 16' bench, but not big enough to make one over 10'. The outfeed from the tablesaw and jointer would have required a few new windows

Sam- I did flaten it by hand ("flat" being a relative term...), but cheated. I glued the top into 4 sub assemblies ~6" wide each, then ran those sub-assemblies through my power jointer & planer. The final glueup still took a lot of hand planing afterwards, I think I filled up 4 garbage bags with plane shavings.

Marco- I feel your pain... I attached the legs to the top by flipping the top upside down & setting the legs/stretchers into it. I could do this alone, but did need some help to flip the whole thing back upright when it was done. That flipping operation cost me a few cold beverages, but was the only part I couldn't do solo. Good luck!

That looks great, your workmanship is impeccable. A 120 inch bench must be amazing. You could probably live on it/under it.

Andre' would be proud.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Nice job...very well done. How thick is the bench top? I wonder how long are the long stretchers and whether the top could sag a little in the middle over time? 10ft bench is a lot of work surface. I wish I could fit even a 7ft one in my tiny shop.

nice, I think you should post more
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

What's not to like?! Great job!

One thing though, as you apparently needed to spend all you had to produce this bench, I'll start up a SMC collection to see if we can get you a broom.

Nice work! That is a gigantic bench. I'd love to have a 10' bench. Maybe someday...

A very nice bench.Nice and solid. Do be careful how much wood you pile on the table extensions of your table saw. If you broke one off,it would be a disaster,especially if it took a chunk of the main top with it. I don't trust Taiwan iron's unknown tensile strength.
    Last edited by george wilson; 05-20-2009 at 5:26 PM.

Very nicely done! One of these days I'll get around to making a new bench...
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Nice looking bench, you do good work and should post more often!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

14. Nice job Jake. 10'. Ahhhhhh.......
    BENCHCRAFTED.COM

I like it!!! It's the "keep things simple" type of bench.