Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saw Till is Finished

Saw Till is Finished

Being in the process of trying to reorganize my bench room and getting new tool holding racks installed, I completed my saw till this morning. As usual, the biggest amount of time was spent in completing the finish. The main till is poplar, as are all of the fences and dividers. The drawers and sliding trays for the drawers are poplar and the fronts are lacewood. I was going to turn more ebony knobs for the drawer pulls but I got lazy and purchased them from HD out of unfinished Chinese mystery wood.

The finish is Lexington Green milk paint with 2 coats of Danish oil. The drawer fronts are a coat of BLO covered with several coats of blonde shellac and rubbed out with paste wax and steel wool. The pulls were painted with black milk paint, oiled, and finished with shellac.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Ooops, I forgot

The construction of the till was done completely with handtools. All the dovetails, the dados for the dividers between drawers, and all of the planing were done by hand. It took a bit longer doing it this way, but it was a good bit of fun and I even got to listen to the radio while I did it. Now I have to start designing a new home for all of my handplanes including the hollows and rounds.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Your usual fine job Dave. I have room for your planes if you would like. Maybe I could learn to use them!. Halsey

Wow, all I can say is very nice work.
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

Nice looking saw till. I noticed you have room for about 7 saws on each side of the center of the top board that is notched for the blades to set into. So what fits in the center 2-3 notches that don't have a rest for the handles to fit into down below?
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

GOOD LOOKING! beautiful work. I have always wondered what it would take to gewt me to use the "report thid post to the moderator" button. I think it an abuse of fellow creekers (in my case creakers) to show off how much spare time you have away from "must do" projects to do selfish projects for your shop. Color me with some of that same paint - that's how envious I am.

Proud of you. Dave.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Dave, great work and great design. I really like your color choice and use of the lacewood.
    Keep us posted on your plane storage.

Tom

Nice work there, Dave.
    After seeing all those great shops out there, I think someone should organize a 'cross country shop tour'. I'd sign up to take a look at all the nice work areas that I've only seen in pictures on the net. (I hope the Neanderthal tour isn't by horseback...)

It's hard to get a real feel for a place until you get to use a couple of senses....

Once again, nice job!

Tom

Answers

Bart- The extra slots are for saws I don't have yet. The lower bar was installed on the left side when I discovered some of my saws were too short to reach the upper bar. I'm still trying to talk my Dad out of the half dozen Disston saws which were my Grandfathers and Great-Grandfathers. Dad won't part with them since he still uses them once or twice a year. Of course I could get some more at the Live Free or Die Auction next month in Nashua. The original plan is from the Old Tools group and I shortened it from 36" wide to 30". The plan did need a little tweaking though not too much.

Carl- I decided to take a small break from furniture to try and get the shop in shape. The tool wall behind the bench needed some attention and some of the storage was irritating from a handiness perspective. I spent part of yesterday afternoon drawing up plans for a wall storage unit for my planes. This should be quicker to build since it doesn't have drawers to make and put a finish on. When I'm done I should have all of my hand tools easily within reach and stored ina manner which won't risk damaging them.

Thanks to all for the kind comments. Sorry Halsey, I think I'll keep the planes.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Hi Dave

Nice work. How about making one for me. I have 29 saws standing upright in a box just waiting for a nice till. Send me an email. I lost your address.

Terry

Great Work

Dave. By any standard, that's great work. I really admire the fact that you built it entirely with hand tools. The Lacewood stands out nicely against the green background.

Lars
    Aspiring Neader

Thumbs up Saw Till

Dave,

I don't usually get over to this part of town. Just drop by and saw your project. Your saw till is fantastic and something that you can always be proud of. Thanks for sharing the picture with us.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Being in the process of trying to reorganize my bench room and getting new tool holding racks installed, I completed my saw till this morning.…
    Hey Dave, how is that saw till holding up 6 years later? Have your original saws had babies and multiplied?

Sean Hughto just linked up to this thread from today's thread about building a saw till.
    http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.p...19249#poststop

Brian Kent
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Looks great, and I'm glad to see new pictures from you. A few months ago, I was obsessed with your thread for your workbench project (which is just stellar, by the way). Also, I recently did a Google image search for "plane till," and yours is the very first image that comes up. Pretty cool. Also good to see such great results with milk paint on the saw till.

Brian, the saw till is an absolute failure. There is no room in it and hasn't been since about a year after it was finished. Dad gave up all but one of the family handsaws and somehow a couple of Wenzloffs and a few others managed to miraculously materialize in it. Seriously though, my only regret is reducing the size from the original 36" wide in the Old Tools plan to the actual 30" width I used. Big Mistake.

Jamie, I will be posting a few photos on some bench accessories and some other things soon. I was pretty time challenged for the last couple of years due to other committments, mostly our NH guild, but things are lightened up a bit last September. Stay tuned for a couple of tutorials coming up.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH