Thread: Powermatic and Mini Max band saws

Question Powermatic and Mini Max band saws

I plan to buy a new band saw with large re-saw capacity and have narrowed it down to these two .I've heard many good things about the Mini-Max 20 inch but the PM 18 inch has only been out about a year. Does anyone have one or know someone that has one? I was wondering if there are any negatives about it.Thanks in advance.
    Ted

Hi Ted. Welcome!

I own teh MM20. Which MM are you looking at? Are you not sold on a Agazzani or Laguna?

Are you only looking at new saws?

Biggest issue with the PM is that it will be harder to get a deal on one where with the others you can call a dealer and look at their demo machines. Also there will not be a s many if any of these PM used in the world.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I am a bit of a snob on this issue..

The Aggazani, MM, Felder or most Laguna's are Italian made bandsaws.. Which are pretty much top end for today's bandsaws..

The Powermatic is Taiwanese..

I would not pay the same $$ for a Powermatic as I would pay for on of the others.. Not even close.

In an 18" - 20" .. The MM-20, Felder 540, Laguana 20" or Aggazani are all absolutely fantastic machinery... Each one is a bit different, the Felder is probably the most expensive...

Having said that, unless you are really, really fussy.. any on of these would be perfect..

The MM-20 is very popular.. Lots of folks here have one.. Never hear much bad.. They have a strong frame, big motor.. good guide system.. What is not to love?

You might also phone Benny at Laguna, see what he has for Demo Machinery..

Historically, if you buy an Italian Bandsaw, own it for 7-8 years, you will sell it for very close to what you paid, if not more.. They hold there value well..

Thanks Rick .I'm a snob too as far as Taiwan made machinery goes but I thought PM was made in the U.S.I did some research on Aggazani but their website isn't functioning and Eagle Tools site is under construction.I'm looking for 18-20 inch re-saw capability and I don't think you can get that with Aggazani unless you get a much bigger machine.As far as Laguna, I've read that theirs are made by several subcontractors rather than just one, and their after-sale service is not very good.I can't find anything but positive remarks about Mini-Max and that's probably what I'll get.

Well, I have a Laguna Jointer.. It was a floor model. I bought it from Benny..

It was made by Griggio in Italy. It was missing a part when it arrived, likely someone poached it at a trade show or something.. Anyhow, I emailed Benny and he had the part shipped to me from Italy..

I cant complain about Laguna customer service.. Benny is a good man.

Laguna machines are pretty much made by ACM in Italy.

Mini-Max are made by Centauro..

Felder are ACM..

Agazzani.. well.. they are actually made by Agazzani.. lol...

The only thing I like better about the Laguna is that the newer models are using Baldor motors.

Either way, the MM-20 is an awesome choice.. Only better choice is an MM-24..

love my mm20 wouldn't trade it for any other saw

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    I am a bit of a snob on this issue..

The Aggazani, MM, Felder or most Laguna's are Italian made bandsaws.. Which are pretty much top end for today's bandsaws..

The Powermatic is Taiwanese..

I would not pay the same $$ for a Powermatic as I would pay for on of the others.. Not even close.

In an 18" - 20" .. The MM-20, Felder 540, Laguana 20" or Aggazani are all absolutely fantastic machinery... Each one is a bit different, the Felder is probably the most expensive...

Having said that, unless you are really, really fussy.. any on of these would be perfect..

The MM-20 is very popular.. Lots of folks here have one.. Never hear much bad.. They have a strong frame, big motor.. good guide system.. What is not to love?

You might also phone Benny at Laguna, see what he has for Demo Machinery..

Historically, if you buy an Italian Bandsaw, own it for 7-8 years, you will sell it for very close to what you paid, if not more.. They hold there value well..
    Ditto. Any Italian made bandsaw is a good choice. I have had the Laguna LT-18 for over 7 years and it has been excellent.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by guy knight View Post
    Not even an MM-24..

If you say no.. you have to send back your tool monger decoder ring.. Choose wisely..

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rowe View Post
    Ditto. Any Italian made bandsaw is a good choice. I have had the Laguna LT-18 for over 7 years and it has been excellent.
    Steve
    Steve..

Do you remember how much you paid for that saw 7-8 years ago??

Today, a good used LT-18, hobby used.. would likely fetch $1800? Maybe $2000 if it where really clean ..

I paid $1000 Canadian for a beat up old SCMi-600, which is a 24" Saw.. This was a factory machine, used and abused.. Beat to heck..

A new saw, same manufacturer.. is about $5000 USD.. (new one is a nicer unit .. some improvements after 20 years)

I totally restored it.. spent too much.. its likely worth $2000 today, but its a 1989.. In 1989, I bet this saw was $2000 or less.

AZ Engineer, a member here sold his LT-16 for roughly what he paid for it new.. The buyer got a great deal, saved over $1000.00 ..

There is no guarentee that these saws will always hold there value this well, but quality always has a value..

Quote Originally Posted by guy knight View Post

Except a MM24.

MM24 with a 7.5hp VFD - SWEET.

Why a NEW saw? What about a PM 87? Not imported,Not new, Not flimsy. 20"
    1500 - 2100 bucks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Atkins View Post
    Why a NEW saw? What about a PM 87? Not imported,Not new, Not flimsy. 20"
    1500 - 2100 bucks
    It only has a 12" resaw height. He needs 18" to 20" resaw height.

Rick,
    If I remember correctly, I paid $1895 and it included a 1" Lennox carbide tipped blade. I think it is difficult to compare pricing on bandsaws from year to year because they keep increasing resaw height and adding nice conveniences that aren't on the older saws. I did upgrade the guides to the ceramic guides and the fence to the Driftmaster since I bought it.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    Steve..

Do you remember how much you paid for that saw 7-8 years ago??

Today, a good used LT-18, hobby used.. would likely fetch $1800? Maybe $2000 if it where really clean ..

I paid $1000 Canadian for a beat up old SCMi-600, which is a 24" Saw.. This was a factory machine, used and abused.. Beat to heck..

A new saw, same manufacturer.. is about $5000 USD.. (new one is a nicer unit .. some improvements after 20 years)

I totally restored it.. spent too much.. its likely worth $2000 today, but its a 1989.. In 1989, I bet this saw was $2000 or less.

AZ Engineer, a member here sold his LT-16 for roughly what he paid for it new.. The buyer got a great deal, saved over $1000.00 ..

There is no guarentee that these saws will always hold there value this well, but quality always has a value..

Hey all,

Speaking to the owner of a woodworking tools shop, I was informed that all Laguna's are now made in Asia. This owner knows Torben Helshoj, Leguna's founder, personally. I was told they are basically made in Asia, shipped to the USA and have a "Made in Italy" sticker put on them.

Just something you may want to check into further.

That is sweet too!

ACM bandsaws are rebranded for MANY people.

Laguna has some asian saws but they do not have italian stickers on them. They promote them as asian saws that are more economical. They are doing their best to cover the pricing spectrum for their customers.

Tim Lory will be along to speak from Laguna I am sure.