Thread: Problem with Grizzly 444Z

Problem with Grizzly 444Z

I just tried my new TS and it runs fine. Problem I am having is the belt is hitting the belt guard when the blade is 1 tooth higher than a 3/4" board. I've looked at the belt guard and I can't see any adjustments for it. I also double-checked installation and it is per the instructions.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what was the resolution?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Chad Easterling; 01-24-2010 at 11:45 AM.

Chad,

I just went out to the garage to look at my 444Z because that sounded familiar. My solution was to leave the belt guard off. I was a bit nervous about it until I built a folding outfeed table so now it's at least always under something. If it's rubbing just at the point where the guard ends closest to the saw body I suppose you could trim the guard back or bend it so it won't rub.

The outfeed table also means I don't use the blade guard since it has mounting points both in the blade area and behind the table.

I should have a disclaimer - "Belt and blade guards removed for photographic clarity."
    Jeremy Gibson

Has anyone taken it upon themselves to contact Grizzly technical support for a resolution or to make them aware of a possible problem?
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-24-2010 at 11:42 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken makes a good point about contacting the manufacturer. I have a Delta contractors saw and if I remove the belt guard, I expose the spinning motor pulley as well as part of the moving belt. While it might be a low probability occurrence, any bits or pieces that fall off the table and hit those spinning saw parts might get launched about the shop. I have enough things going on in the shop to have to be concerned about more flying objects.

"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball", Rip Torn

For a temporary fix, one should be able to make out of 1/4" plywood a belt guard until a more permanent solution comes from Grizzly.

I'd leave it off as well, but I am leary of a spinning pulley and belt launching stuff around the shop myself. And, the fact my father can only count to 9 1/2 due to having a finger smashed off between the belt and pulley on his contractor saw makes me even more nervous.

I can definately do a temporary fix, but I wanted to see if it was just me

I'm going to contact Grizzly first thing tomorrow and see what they say. I'll post their response.

Chad,

I've gone to the Grizzly site and downloaded the manuals and parts list for your saw.

Am I correct that the weight of the motor is what tensions the drive belt?
    Ken

Yes, that is correct. However, the angle of the belt is determined by the blade height. At near full height, there was no rubbing.

Chad,

I have a very similar saw...a Ridgid TS3650. It has a very, very similar mechanism. Where yours has set screws holding the motor mounting plate to the two shafts, mine has hex head bolts. Whoopee!

Can you move the motor mounting bracket....held on to the two shafts by loosening the set screws and sliding the motor mounting bracket a little farther onto the shaft and then tighten the set screws?

The weight of the motor and the amount of travel of the motor plate pivot point should take up any slack in the belt.
    Ken

I'll take a look and see. Thanks for the idea.

Chad

That did it, Ken. Thanks! For those interested, I had to slide the motor farther "down/back" the mounting plate so that it rested higher off the floor when the belt was attached. That causes the angle of the blade guard to clear the belt.

Thanks a million!

Chad .....check it with the blade fully up and fully down....that distance will be within a working range.

Good. Glad to hear it.

And you're Welcome!
    Ken