Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laguna 14 SUV Bandsaw... Pro's and Cons?

Laguna 14 SUV Bandsaw... Pro's and Cons?

Howdy Ya'll, I have been doing a significant amount of research dedicated to the purchase of a new Bandsaw. I have decided that I want a Laguna 14 SUV, I was hoping that I could get opinions from owners of this model of saw, and owners of other Laguna Bandsaws. I respect what ya'll have to say, it's pretty pricey, but I think the value is there. I want to confirm that. I want good and bad experiences both with the saw and the company. Also I haven't had much of a chance to do a whole lot of research regarding blades, how hard is it to find 125" blades? It seems to be a slightly unusual size. I am looking for ideas on resaw blades, and also blades for general use, and scroll work. Please enlighten me before I take the plunge and throw money down on a machine that isn't even available until mid April! Thanks a bunch!

Re: blades
    True, you'll probably not find them on the shelf at Woodcraft. But it's easy and common (probably more common than buying a blade off the shelf) to have a blade cut and welded to the length you need. People prefer different brands/types of blades - any cheapo 1/8" steel blade will work find for scroll work, and there are many choices for resaw blades.

Re: the company
    In the past, they had a reputation for really awful customer service. This seems to be changed significantly recently. Many creekers have recently posted reports of good dealings with them. I think they "got the message" and are doing better.

Re: the saw
    I have the older version (LT14SE). It is a very nice saw. I don't think I would have willingly paid full retail price for it, though (I bought mine used). It has quirks that I wouldn't expect for $1300. I think as the price increases, the quality of machine improves, but the bang-for-your-buck falls off significantly. If you're the kind of guy who would buy a Felder or a Festool, you would probably be very happy with this saw. If you're more likely to buy a Grizzly tool that represents a "good value", you may feel robbed after getting this saw. If you are committed to spending that amount of money, this is definitely the best saw you could buy.

As Dan mentioned blades are a non-issue especally if you order them.

Laguna seems to have fixed or at least improved their CS issues.

The SUV is probably the best 14" saw on the market and the only question I would ask myself at the price is whether I wouldn't prefer a "lesser" but significantly larger saw like the Grizzly 19" 514.

I am looking hard at the LT18 and LT20, along with a couple of other options I think they are the best BS made currently. Even through the SUV isn't made by ACM it is still a very well made Euro saw.

I,m the owner of a new SUV14 and I can't say enough good things about it. The customer service and follow-up has been nothing short of spectacular. That said... how tall are you? The table is pretty low, so I had to build a platform for it. No big deal really, but something to think about. I'm 6' 1".

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Even through the SUV isn't made by ACM it is still a very well made Euro saw.
    Not Euro, is Chinese.

I have no complaints about mine('cept mebbe that China thing). The Laguna's are in a league separate of any other 14" saws out there. And the addition of a Driftmaster makes it all that much more pleasurable to use.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=115939

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Willard View Post
    Not Euro, is Chinese.

I have no complaints about mine('cept mebbe that China thing). The Laguna's are in a league separate of any other 14" saws out there. And the addition of a Driftmaster makes it all that much more pleasurable to use.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=115939

Thanks for the correction, it is the SE and SEL that are Euro saws.

I bought a Laguna LT16HD last month (made in Italy).

I got an excellent service from the canadian reseller.

Faulty switch was replaced overnight so no problems with customer service.

The saw is excellent and I'm very pleased with it.

Now I wish I had a bigger table but I'm now building an 'extension' that will be 2x4'

Cheers

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    As Dan mentioned blades are a non-issue especally if you order them.

Even through the SUV isn't made by ACM it is still a very well made Euro saw.
    I thought the 14SUV was made in China....worth confirming this with Laguna if that will affect your decision.

I bought my 14SUV through Tim here on SMC--PM "Laguna Tools" here or look in the deals and discounts, b/c they post discounted offers here regularly. I've bought other things through Tim as well, as I've always had a good experience. My 14SUV must have gotten manhandled a little in transit, because two spot welds on the movable blade guard broke. That got taken care of with a new one mailed out pronto. I'm also quite impressed by the fit and finish of the machine. So, CS in my book is tops.

As a comparison, I was also considering a more expensive machine from another company when I was shopping around, and I really got PO'd at their sales guy. When I told him I had decided to purchase a Laguna because they seemed like they wanted my business, he sent me an email that amounted to slagging off Laguna based on country of manufacture, saying I hadn't returned emails he sent, and implying that I wasn't ready for a real machine. The contrast was striking--Tim also knew what I was shopping for and was complimentary and fair about their brand, and his assessment of the relative pro's and con's was consistent with what I had heard elsewhere. Frankly, I've gotten less attitude at Mercedes dealers; it just boggled my mind--he seemed to forget that he should have been selling to me instead of me buying from him. The net result was that while before the email, that company still would have been on my list for other future purchases; now, they will now never get a dime of my money. Laguna, on the other hand, will be one of the companies I look to first.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Archambeau View Post
    I thought the 14SUV was made in China....worth confirming this with Laguna if that will affect your decision.

You are correct, we got that cleared up a few posts ago, I had the country of origin of the SUV mixed up with the 14 SE and SEL which are made in Europe. None of the 14s are made in Italy. The LT16HD and above (except the 3000 series which are Asian) are made by ACM in Northern Italy.

I don't think you can really compare the Laguna imports with the 'original' Lagunas made in Europe (LT16HD and over)

If you want to get a chinese made Laguna BS, you have to also check all the other imports : Grizzly, General International, etc. and If I were in your socks, I would get the cheapest one in the lot (other specs equal of course).

Alex

I purchased the LT16 Model 3000 last fall. Tim was great to work with for the sale.

As far as being Chinese made, I must admit that I'm very impressed with the fit and finish of the saw. The wheels are massive and run true. The saw works extremely well. The exceptional performance is really coming from Laguna's ceramic blade guide system which is the same as what is equipped with their other saws. A friend has the LT16HD which is a beast compared to mine, but they really do have a substantial similarity in performance.

Unfortunately, Laguna service has been overall very poor for me. It took multiple calls and emails to get the right mobility kit. There are also several cosmetic issues caused by shipping which still haven't been resolved.

I purchased my Laguna 14 new at the wood show in Tampa in 2002 for $950. It was manufactured in Bulgaria and is a beast. I use a woodslicer blade on it for most everything except tight radius and small work. It resaws beautifully and has never given me any problems. If I were going to buy another saw Laguna would be at the top of my list.

Hope this helps in your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Silva View Post
    If you want to get a chinese made Laguna BS, you have to also check all the other imports : Grizzly, General International, etc. and If I were in your socks, I would get the cheapest one in the lot (other specs equal of course).

Alex
    One issue is no one else makes something remotely similar to the 14 SUV, 14" of resaw and a 3hp Leeson motor. However, you can get a 19" Grizzly for less with a 3hp motor and 12" of resaw. You could even add Laguna guides and still not have much more money in it. From what I have seen the Laguna 3000 series are somewhat nicer than the other Asian saws and generally have higher capacities, but the cost is also higher.

Hi folks,
    Just quietly watching bandsaw threads, im not sure , I thought it was here but, in one reply I thought tim from laguna mentioned that the 14 suv was from bulgaria, allthe 3000 series from china and the 16's and up from italy. But i have been wrong b4 and sure to be wrong again in the future. Sure wish Laguna would just list country of origin on all their models. ( you there Tim?)
    Eric