Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The beautiful wood that will never get turned

The beautiful wood that will never get turned

So the wife and I are on vacation in Tucson AZ. We stopped at a couple of specialty wood stores, and she spent a great deal of time picking out some Desert Iron wood burl for some jewelry she wants to make. I got some nice figured walnut turning squares that I had plans for. Friday night we parked outside our hotel, Less than 50 feet from the room (I could see the car from the window. A couple of hours later the front desk called our room to inform us that our vehicle had been broken into. The thieves smashed out the rear windows (what happened to the alarm). What did they take? A tripod, and the bag of wood we bought. About $3000 dollars in loss and damage, and what did they get? An old tripod that tries to bite my fingers off every time I use it, and a bag of wood chunks. The bag must have torn, because i I found two of the turning squares in the parking lot under other cars.

I can visualize it now. When they got to their car to inspect their haul... "What is this crap", as they tossed it in the bushes. The cop thought I was a human oddity when I told her they got a bag of wood. Her comment, what do you use that for. Too bad all that beautiful wood had to go to waste. I just wish I could find where they tossed it. Next time I go on vacation, I am going to take bags from expensive electronics stores, and camera shops, fill them with trash and if they get stolen, visualize the expression on their faces when they realize they risked jail for garbage.

We had planned on visiting a turning club meeting Saturday morning, where
    Wally Dickerman was demonstrating, but instead spent the morning getting glass replaced it the truck. So, if you are in Tucson, near the airport, and you find some walnut turning squares and DI Burl pieces, there is a reward offered for their safe return. SWMBO says the reward is doubled if you use the walnut to bash on the heads of the jerks who did the deed.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Brian - sorry to hear of this! Don't know what else to say other than I am glad you both are OK.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

What a bummer. You might try to keep an eye on CL and see if they pop up.

You know, I use to laugh at my father-in-law for keeping a loaded gun in his house. Than my house got broken into. Made me so mad, I got a Doberman and loaded a gun. I hope they come back! I have NEVER been so furious. It's not important what they stole, it just the feeling of violation.

Sorry for what happened to you.

Sorry to hear about your loss Brian. I just don't understand some people.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ten to one, they were looking for something they could fence quickly for drug money. So sorry to hear about the loss, the intrusion, and the frustration of dealing with it.

sorry for your loss, on a recent trip i had to stay overnight on the way to and overnight on the way back, i tried to stay 50 miles past the last large town off the interstate

if you go east to west, it will take all day to travel Tennessee, beautiful state in the spring

i also will stop at first rest stop into a state and get their discount coupon book for motels, check map and decide where to stay

my brother-in-law and sister stopped at large town and were trying to check in a "economy motel" when a man who had been shot in the parking lot came into the lobby looking for help, i am glad the shooters did not follow him in

the two found pieces should make good conservation pieces

Sorry to hear about your frustration. That stuff just irks the crap out of me. Too bad more motels can't do something about the crime in their parking lots as it appears to be pretty widespread.

John

Geez, Brian, I'm sorry to hear that your visit to Tucson ended up on such a bad experience. I'd have enjoyed seeing you again if you had made it to the club meeting. Just so you know, the demo went very well.

It's great that with what you and your wife went through you held on to your sense of humor. The thought of some guy looking for drug money ending up with a bag of wood is pretty funny.

Wally

That's a bad deal Brian. Makes you wonder where our society is headed.

robbed

hi brian,

sorry to here this story,if you like i can send you some walnut ,spalted maple, and some maple burl .not the same but could maybe help.

patrick

steinp@verizon.net

ps
    just email if like.

I hate to hear these stories. Sorry for your loss Brian. John is probably right, somebody looking for drug money. I wonder what they will get for a bag of wood!

Patrick, that is a very nice and generous offer you made, well done.

Sorry to hear about the ordeal. I truly hope those responsible have severe, anaphylactic allergies to DI burl.

Brian I am sorry to hear about your misfortune. I know it most sound lame but at least know one was hurt.

Good health good turning,
    Mike
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hope you all got a nice stash. Because this was seized at the border today.

Wealth spreading by the self entitled

Brian, I feel for you and know how it goes. I had some bone heads do a smash and grab on my old beat up Ford ranger once. They got about $3.50 in change and some keys to my old bread truck that I had turned into a camper. To many out there in this world that believe that everything is for them to destroy and use for their own misguided needs. I now have the IR lights in the driveway and I have a small light that I leave on at night that lights up all of my deer mounts through the picture window. I think it lets everyone know that I have weapons and know how to use them.

I think it has gotten worse with all the unemplyment and the drug runners crossing the border.

Stay safe,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown